The Joliet pedestrian accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers are committed to the needs of those who were struck by vehicles while lawfully crossing the street or using the road. These accidents are often far more serious and life changing than most other traffic accidents and it is important to us that you have access to fair compensation so that you are able to receive the best medical care available without worrying about the financial toll. For those who have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, we are able to explore pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit.
How to Establish Fault in a Joliet Pedestrian Accident
We know that there are a lot of things you need to deal with when you are involved in any type of accident, let alone when you are struck by a car. This is why we will perform a thorough investigation to help determine who was at fault for your injuries so that we can hold the responsible party liable. The methods we use include the following.
- Obtain any available accident reports from the police, including statements from witnesses and the driver.
- Request access to videos from any cameras in the surrounding area that could provide a visual reconstruction of the accident. There are often traffic control cameras or closed circuit security cameras near many of the places these accidents unfold.
- Gain access to the calls made to 911 following the accident as the information recovered here may help us reconstruct the sequence of events.
- Contact the witnesses to get their account of events. Even though they may have made statements to the police, we may be able to gain additional information that wasn’t provided in their initial accounts.
- Send accident reconstruction specialists to the scene of the accident to recreate the accident. This will help us determine the speed and trajectory of the vehicle, which could reveal whether the driver was distracted, whether a reasonable effort was made to avoid the collision.
- Obtain phone records so that we can determine whether the driver was talking on the phone or texting while driving when the accident occurred. This can often make a huge difference in your claim.
- Create an animation of the accident that can give a visual representation to a judge or jury of what transpired.
The Ways We Can Secure Damages after Your Pedestrian Accident
Once we have enough evidence to prove that the driver was indeed at fault, we can negotiate with his or her insurance company and evaluate the need to file a lawsuit. There are a number of avenues that we can take to recover compensation, so if one method is not sufficient, we have other places to look. Here are the different avenues available to recovering compensation.
- The driver’s insurance policy— if the driver is found liable, this is the main source of compensation. Insurance companies are notorious for trying to limit their liability, so it is important to be careful about what you say to an insurance adjuster. We would be happy to do the talking for you.
- Your driver’s insurance policy— you may be able to cover costs in excess of the driver’s policy limits through your own insurance policy. If the driver does not have insurance, you may be able to use your uninsured driver coverage.
- Your health insurance coverage— this helps cover any gaps in coverage by the driver’s policy and your own. We can help you negotiate with your health insurance company to cover the cost of medical treatment and long term treatment or therapy.
- A lawsuit against the driver’s assets— if all of the above is still not sufficient to cover your expenses, we may be able to file a lawsuit on your behalf if the driver has the assets to cover the difference.
The compensation you may be able to recover following your accident will include the cost of your medical care, rehabilitative care, out of pocket expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and loss of consortium, in the event of wrongful death. We may also be able to recover the cost of a memorial service and the financial contribution made to the family by a deceased loved one.
Our Joliet Pedestrian Accident Lawyers are ready to Review Your Claim
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers knows what it takes to ensure our clients recover every bit of compensation that the law will allow. If you have been injured, or have lost a loved one because of the reckless actions of a negligent driver, we would like to invite you to arrange a free consultation with an attorney so that we can review your legal options and investigate your claim.
Contact us today to be connected with one of our award winning Joliet pedestrian accident attorneys so that we can get to work on your behalf right away. If we are unable to recover the compensation you are entitled to on your behalf, our services will not cost you a thing.