Raising children with mental and physical disabilities is emotionally and financially taxing on the family, as they must provide for extensive medical care and watch their child suffer throughout his or her development. The Joliet cerebral palsy attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are dedicated to helping these families access the resources they need and recover the compensation they deserve when their children suffer from cerebral palsy due to the negligent actions of a medical professional. We want to allow you to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing your child’s needs will be met long after you are unable to provide for him or her on your own and will do whatever it takes to ensure this goal is met.
Taking Care of a Child with Cerebral Palsy Can Cost Millions
It is not uncommon at all for our Joliet cerebral palsy lawyers to seek millions of dollars in damages on behalf of our clients. This is because children with cerebral palsy will require ongoing medical treatment and therapy throughout every stage of development and into their adult lives. Many of the parents of these children worry about what will happen to their children in the event of their own passing or inability to be able to provide and we don’t feel that any parent should need to endure such stress without support.
While some instances of this condition cannot be prevented, many cases arise from the failure of medical professionals to notice that a child has been injured at or following birth. Very simple treatment options are often sufficient to prevent the condition when performed in a timely manner. For this reason, the financial burden of providing for a lifetime of care should rest on the shoulders of the hospital and staff members responsible for your child’s injuries.
Types of Injuries that Result in Joliet Cerebral Palsy Lawsuits
The most common cause of cerebral palsy in infants is the deprivation of oxygen to the brain during labor or immediately following birth. There are a number of injuries that can result in hypoxia, which can include the following.
- Fetal distress during labor— it is the duty of attending staff to monitor the condition of the child when a mother is in labor and to report any abnormalities to the doctor in charge of delivery. It is then the responsibility of the doctor to order an emergency C-section if the child’s life is in danger or the child is at risk of permanent brain damage.
- Membrane ruptures— if the membranes are ruptured for longer than 24 hours, the child could be deprived of oxygen for an extended period of time, resulting in the development of cerebral palsy or other complications.
- Misinterpretation of test results during pregnancy and following birth— the failure of technicians to conduct tests properly or doctors to interpret the results may have catastrophic consequences.
- Jaundice and complications linked to elevated bilirubin levels— bilirubin is a substance that is often produced when the body experiences an injury and is not harmful later on in life. Newborns’ livers are unable to remove this substance from the blood, however, resulting in jaundice and a number of other medical complications, including cerebral palsy.
- Infections during pregnancy or following birth— infections can cause an immune response in young children that result in brain damage when not treated in a timely manner.
Medical malpractice is defined by the failure of medical workers to meet their duty of care to their patients. This means that if we can prove any typical professional in the same situation would have responded in a different manner, we can argue negligence or malpractice in order to recover the compensation you need to cover the cost of your child’s medical care, lowered quality of living, loss of opportunity and pain and suffering. You can also recover damages to cover the emotional and financial suffering that you and your family must endure as you watch your child struggle to thrive.
Resources for Families Caring for Children with Cerebral Palsy
In addition to seeking the compensation you need to care for your child, there are a number of resources available for your family through the United Cerebral Palsy Sequin of Greater Chicago. From employment and life skills training to Community Integrated Living and accessibility services, this organization provides the support that you need to help your child through growth and his or her transition into adulthood. To learn more about the services that this organization provides, you can visit http://ucpseguin.org/ or call (708) 863-3803.
Let Us Review Your Joliet Cerebral Palsy Case for Free
If your child was injured during birth, you may be entitled to compensation for out of pocket costs and medical bills associated with his or her disabilities. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has extensive experience and access to medical specialists and economists who can help place an appropriate value on your case so that you do not need to wonder about whether your child will have access to the care and resources needed to live well into adulthood.
Contact us today so that you can speak with an award winning Joliet cerebral palsy attorney about your claim. We will review the medical records surrounding your child’s birth and assess what his or her needs will be throughout life so that we can let you know what you can expect going forward and how we can help. Our services are offered solely on a contingency fee basis, so you will never need to worry about whether you can afford the legal fees needed to pursue compensation. If we cannot secure compensation on your behalf, our services will cost nothing.
For additional information see the following pages:
- Aurora Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Champaign Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Elgin Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Evanston Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Naperville Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Peoria Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Rockford Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Springfield Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Waukegan Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys