Instacart is a delivery service of thousands of different products. They will bring groceries as well as big box items right to your door. Beginning in 2012 in San Francisco, California, Instacart has 50,000 members and is available in 25 cities in the United States, including Chicago.
Instacart is a wonderful convenience for many, especially those who have transportation challenges. However, it also means many delivery drivers using the roads, and that will eventually lead to accidents. Since 80% of Instacart workers are contractors, an accident can present difficult legal situations. A Chicago personal injury attorney can help you navigate your Instacart accident case.
Instacart Delivery Accidents
Instacart drivers can violate a traffic law or become careless when driving. They can get distracted or not pay proper attention. However, delivery drivers have other issues to worry about as well.
They may need to keep their cargo from toppling over or spilling. They are more often than not in unfamiliar areas and paying attention to navigation devices. Because they are trying work quickly, drivers may park illegally or experience disorientation in new neighborhoods.
Instacart and Insurance
Instacart, which refers to its drivers as “full-service shoppers,” offloads its insurance liability onto the drivers by hiring them as independent contractors, not as employees. It therefore does not provide them with insurance and only requires that they have the state minimum coverage for auto insurance.
The problem here is that state minimum usually means auto insurance for personal use. The language of most insurance policies absolves the insurance company of responsibility if the accident occurred during a delivery, because that is commercial driving. The driver may have to pay out of pocket, and it can be difficult to make recoveries of this nature.
What to do in the Event of an Accident Involving an Instacart Vehicle
If a full-service shopper hits you during a commercial drive and there is only damage to your vehicle, you can contact the driver’s insurance company directly and take care of the problem. However, if the driver has injured you by his or her negligence, you will need an attorney to represent you.
Arguing with insurance companies yourself will get you nowhere. At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC, we have been there before. We know the road and we can guide you through the process of getting the recovery you deserve.
Damages for Personal Injury
Damages for personal injury can include:
- Medical expenses. In the event that someone injures you in an accident, the driver or the driver’s insurance must cover all your medical bills. This includes all anticipated future expenses, as well as medical devices and transportation to doctors’ appointments.
- Lost wages. If you miss work or are no longer able to perform your job, the lost wages are also recoverable. Factors like your age, education, work history and pre-existing impairments will affect the amount you can recover.
- Pain and suffering. When a negligent driver forces you to endure suffering, you deserve compensation in an attempt to make you whole again. It is customary in Illinois to award damages for pain and suffering as a multiplier, between 1.5 and 5, of all the other financial damages.
- Emotional distress. Emotional distress can take many forms. It can present as depression or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It may come in the form of insomnia. If an accident has caused you emotional suffering, you can recover damages.
- Vehicle repair. You have a right to your vehicle in the shape it was in before the accident. If this is not possible because the accident totaled the car, you have a right to a replacement.
- Punitive damages. Sometimes, the actions of an at-fault driver go beyond mere negligence. The driver can be grossly careless or can even commit intentional wrongdoing. In this case, you can receive damages as a way to punish the driver rather than cover losses you have suffered.
Get a Consultation With Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC for Your Instacart Accident
If a careless Instacart driver has injured you or someone you know, you need representation with experience. You need dedicated auto injury lawyers with the knowledge of how the system works to get you the recovery you deserve. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has broken records with damages we have won, which is part of the reason why most of our clients are referrals from past clients.
Call us today at (888) 424-5757 or contact us online for a consultation with a caring and experienced professional.