If your building was constructed before 1978, it is highly probable that a lead based paint was used. The presence of old pipes and plumbing can also increase risk because lead is used in pipes and can contaminate the water if the pipes are damaged. Close proximity to highly trafficked streets can increase the risk of exposure due to the accumulation of lead in the soil outside of your home due to the use of leaded gas prior to the 1980s.
For additional information see the following pages:
- How can I tell if my child is impacted by lead poisoning?
- How can I protect my family from lead exposure?
- Who can be held responsible for my child's elevated blood-lead levels?
- Can I bring a lawsuit to recover compensation for my child who has lead poisoning?
- What are the chances of winning a lead contamination lawsuit?
- How long does it take to get compensation for a lead poisoning case?
- Is there a cost to pursue a lead poisoning case for my child?