Yes. There are plenty of steps that you can take to reduce your family’s exposure to lead and to limit its absorption into the body. Make sure that you run water for at least a minute before using it, mop regularly and clean the walls and windows with soapy water in order to keep the dust down. Feeding your family a diet rich in calcium, iron and vitamin C will also help the body reject lead absorption and reduce the damage caused by lead poisoning.
Other ways to reduce your family’s risk is to make sure your children wash their hands before meals, clean any toys that they come in regular contact with and look for visible signs of damage such as peeling or cracked paint and damage to lead pipes or plumbing fixtures. When seeking to repair chipped paint or pipes, you should contact the health department to learn how to make the repairs safely and without kicking the lead dust into the air, where it can become more dangerous to you and your family.
For additional information see the following pages:
- How can I tell if my child is at risk for lead poisoning?
- How can I tell if my child is impacted by lead poisoning?
- Who can be held responsible for my child’s elevated blood-lead levels?
- Can I bring a lawsuit to recover compensation for my child who has lead poisoning?
- What are the chances of winning a lead contamination lawsuit?
- How long does it take to get compensation for a lead poisoning case?
- Is there a cost to pursue a lead poisoning case for my child?