Jet Ski & WaveRunner Accident Lawyers
Jet ski and boating accidents in Illinois often pose a serious risk to operators and passengers with potential life-threatening injuries. Many residents and visiting tourists enjoy the excitement and experience of water sports in the Chicago area. With the great surrounding water environments including Lake Michigan, rivers and inland lakes, there is great temptation to make the most out of the inviting waves. Unfortunately, many water activities including jet skis cause significant hazards, leading to injury or death.
Often times, companies that rent jet skis do not provide sufficient instructions to tourists and residents renting the equipment. Often times this leads to horrific jet ski accidents and severe injuries. Without adequate instruction, jet ski operators might not have any understanding of how to perform in a restricted area or a boating lane. Often times this can cause serious injury to jet ski operators and boaters along with all their passengers.
Alcohol and drug use can cause horrific accidents when operating a boat or jet ski. In fact, many catastrophic boating events happen every year in the Chicago area. This is often the result of overwhelming traffic on the water in the limited time from late spring to early fall, when jet ski accidents tend to happen the most often. Many victims of water injuries will hire a jet ski accident attorney in an effort to receive the financial compensation they deserve.
Common Types of Accidents Related To Jet Skis, Waverunners & Other Personal Watercraft
In many incidences, the jet ski operator could have avoided accidents if it were not for the reckless or negligent action of others. Many jet ski injuries are the result of intoxicated or reckless watercraft operators, or the negligence of jet ski rental companies. Accidents often happen with other watercraft, or other common causes that include:
- Colliding with various objects including debris, sand bars, buoys, docks, poles and other jet skis
- Falling off the jet ski a high rate of speed
- An accident caused by equipment failure
- Accidents resulting from inadequate instruction
Finding Legal Remedy For An Individual Injured In A Jet Ski Accident
Filing a claim for financial compensation when involved in a jet ski accident can be complex and confusing. Often times it requires the skills of a reputable jet ski accident attorney that can prove negligence of others. Solid claims to obtain financial recompense are often based on a variety of factors that include:
- Negligence – Most successful jet ski injury claims and lawsuits are based on the negligence of others. Skilled attorneys are usually able to show legal responsibility was strategies based on “but for” the action of the responsible party, the victim would not have suffered injuries.
- Filing a Third-Party Operator Suit – Watercraft operators that are exceeding the speed limit, inattention, operating watercraft while intoxicated, riding too closely or breaking Illinois state water rules can be held legally responsible. Skilled attorneys will sue third-party parties to maintain the rights of their client in receiving their deserved financial compensation.
- Suing the Jet Ski Manufacturer or Rental Company – Often times, the manufacturer can be held liable for the accident and injuries when a lawsuit or claim proves that the jet ski was broken or defective. In addition, jet ski rental companies can be held responsible if the liability waiver is not legally binding or poorly written. The rental company might not have adhered to jet ski laws regulated by the state of Illinois, or provided properly maintained or malfunctioning jet skis.
- Other Factors – Weather conditions, dangerous waters, drug or alcohol use, failing to follow specific waterway rules and the force of wakes and waves can also serve as the foundation for a strategy to prove the negligence of a responsible party.
Filing a Claim Against A Responsible Party For A Person Injured In An Illinois Jet Ski Accident
Many individuals choose to file a claim against the responsible party when suffering injuries caused by the negligent action of others in a jet ski accident on an Illinois lake or river. When a passenger or operator of a personal watercraft is injured, they can file suit or claim against:
- Other jet ski operator
- Manufacturer for a manufacturing or design defect
- Rental companies with improperly maintained jet skis
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can determine who is at fault or responsible for the injuries caused by an Illinois jet ski accident. Our Illinois boat injury attorneys can pursue a claim against appropriate parties for financial recovery based on the damages involved. Damages often include financial recompense for medical expenses, lost wages due to missed work, emotional distress, suffering, and pain. Call (888) 424-5757 to speak with a Chicago jet ski accident lawyer.