Head-on Car Accident Lawyer
Every year, thousands of vehicle drivers and passengers are seriously injured or killed in head-on collisions. Most of these types of accidents involve one vehicle departing their lane of traffic and colliding with oncoming vehicles traveling in the opposite direction. When a head-on car accident results in injuries or a fatality, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are ready to assist you or your family during all phases of negotiation and litigation. Our firm has successfully resolved many head-on car accident cases in Chicago and is ready to do the same for you.
Although national and state transportation agencies implement safety measures to prevent these types of accidents, head-on crashes are still among the most deadly types of accidents involving motorists and passengers.
Causes Of Head-On Auto Collisions
Most head-on collisions happen when a driver becomes distracted, looses control of the vehicle or is otherwise impaired. The most common causes of head-on accidents involve:
- Driving under the influence. Alcohol or drug impairment often result in head-on collisions. (DUI Accidents see here)
- Distracted driving. Cell phone and other electronic devices can distract drivers and cause them to swerve into oncoming traffic. (Texting and distracted driving cases click here)
- Fatigued driving. Falling asleep at the wheel or driving while fatigued cause up to 20% of all serious accidents every year, including head-on collisions. (For information on driver fatigue look here)
- Reckless driving. Drivers who try to pass vehicles by swerving over into oncoming traffic or are speeding and loose control of their vehicle can cause head-on collisions. (For information on Reckless Driving look here.)
- Road conditions. Inclement weather, objects in the roadway and poor road maintenance can cause drivers to leave their lane of travel.
Determining Fault in Illinois Lane-Crossover Car Accidents
In almost all cases, the driver who leaves their lane and hits another vehicle head-on will be liable or at fault for the accident. According to Illinois state law, no driver should change lanes without first making sure it is safe to do so.
(625 ILCS 5/11-709) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-709)
Sec. 11-709. Driving on roadways laned for traffic. Whenever any roadway has been divided into 2 or more clearly marked lanes for traffic the following rules in addition to all others consistent herewith shall apply.
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.
In many cases, the driver of the vehicle who causes the crash will be cited for a traffic violation. However, it is not necessary for the driver to receive a citation for the accident for them to be held liable for the accident and the injuries it causes.
Recovering Damages for Injuries Sustained in Head-On Traffic Accidents
For victims of a head-on collision, recovery can be long and painful, if they survive the crash. In 2010, one tenth of all traffic fatalities were head-on crashes, totaling more than 3,900 individual accidents. Those who do survive often face severe injuries that can be financially, physically and emotionally challenging to overcome. The intensity of head-on motor vehicle collisions may lead to injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Lacerations to the face
- Fractures to the legs, arms and ribs
Chicago Injury Attorneys You Can Count On After A Head-On Auto Accident
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC help victims of head-on accidents recover financial damages for their medical costs, wage losses and even pain and suffering. Our team of Chicago auto accident attorneys understands complex Illinois and local laws that pertain to these types of vehicular accidents. Our law firm will use our extensive knowledge and years of experience to secure the best financial outcome in your injury case. Contact us a free, no-obligation consultation. We do not charge a fee unless we are able to obtain a financial award on your behalf.
Resources for those injured in a head-on auto accident:
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.