Injuries to the head through the course of an auto accident can result in long term debilitation and may not be immediately apparent following a collision. This makes them some of the most dangerous types of injuries sustained in collisions involving cars, trucks and motorcycles and is why you should always have yourself evaluated at a hospital following an accident. The Chicago auto accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers routinely work with clients who have suffered a diminished quality of living because of injuries to the head and brain and understand how expensive caring for these injuries can be over a lifetime. This is why we will aggressively pursue any avenue available to recover the compensation you deserve.What Causes Traumatic Brain Injuries in Auto Accidents
Scientists are still learning what happens to the brain throughout the course of a traumatic event such as an auto collision. Many of the injuries that are sustained are difficult to detect without extensive imaging tests because victims show no signs of a problem until the damage has been done. Following are some of the common causes of head trauma that our Chicago auto accident lawyers come across.
- Contact with a foreign or stationary object. Victims of auto related head injuries are injured when their heads come in contact with objects such as a steering wheel, air bag or the ground. Motorcyclists are especially at risk of suffering head and brain injuries because of the limited protection they have on their bikes.
- Forward momentum in an accident. Even when the victim doesn’t strike an object upon impact, his or her brain may strike the front or back of the skull. This is because the brain is suspended within the skull and can actually bounce around the skull in the event of sudden and rapid deceleration. The result is internal swelling within the brain through micro tears that are only detectable through imaging scans.
- Untreated concussions. It is important to properly assess whether an auto accident victim has sustained a concussion because these injuries can lead to serious complications if left untreated. The initial symptoms can last mere minutes, making them more difficult to detect without further tests if the symptoms have passed quickly.
- Contact with the ground. Motorcyclists are often thrown from their bikes during an accident and will inevitably make contact with the ground in some matter. Even the use of a helmet offers a limited amount of protection, making it important for motorcyclists to submit to a medical evaluation after an accident.
The initial symptoms of a concussion can pass quickly, but additional symptoms often surface in the days and weeks following the injury. Our Chicago auto injury lawyers highly recommend seeking medical care immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms after you’ve been in an auto accident. Earlier detection and treatment of concussions and brain injuries is critical to improving your long-term prognosis.
- Blackouts or loss of consciousness for any amount of time. These blackouts can last only a couple of moments, but must still be treated with concern.
- Headaches that are accompanied with pressure inside the head. Some victims describe this as feeling as if someone is inflating a balloon within their heads.
- Sensitivity to noise and light, similar to what one would experience with a migraine.
- Poor coordination or balance.
- The inability to fall asleep.
- Excessive fatigue and weakness despite being fully rested.
- Loss of memory, confusion, disorientation or the inability to concentrate. Any loss of cognitive functions, whether for a brief time or ongoing should be documented and medical attention sought.
- Sudden mood swings, irritability or excessive emotional reactions to everyday events.
- Numbness, tingling or loss of feeling in the hands, fingers, feet or toes.
Traumatic brain injuries are linked with neurological disorders and degenerative brain diseases. There are currently very few ways to repair brain damage, so any damage suffered is permanent. Victims must find ways to cope with the complications instead and this can result in the need for ongoing treatment that comes with a prohibitive price tag. Anyone who has been in a car, truck or motorcycle accident that has resulted in a traumatic brain injury has been through enough already without the additional financial pressure that can come with seeking treatment.
Many of those with traumatic brain injuries lose the ability to concentrate, recall past events, speak or communicate clearly or perform motor functions. They may require assistive care for the rest of their lives. This can place a burden on their families as well and many victims hate the thought that their families must suffer with them.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you recover the compensation you are entitled to following an auto accident and has helped thousands of clients move forward by connecting them with qualified medical experts in addition to award winning legal services. If you have been in an accident, contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our qualified lawyers.
Our Chicago auto accident attorneys have many years of experience, extensive legal knowledge and a successful track record. Once we have reviewed your case, we will let you know more about your legal options and all of the avenues you have available to recover the compensation you need and deserve. Our contingency fee policy allows us to represent clients of all backgrounds and financial means by guaranteeing that you will never be required to pay attorneys’ fees upfront and that our services will be free of charge unless we can secure compensation on your behalf.