Farming accidents including those that involve grain augers are all too common occurrences in the United States, where the consequences can be devastating and tragic. Grain augers are an essential piece of equipment used in the agricultural industry. The long tube performs a variety of duties on a farm or ranch including:
- Raises and transports grain from the surface level to the top of a tall grain bin
- Loads trucks with grain
- Transfers feed from a transport wagon to a ranch cattle feeder
The long tube houses a screw shank moved by gears and pulleys from the top. The turning of the shank moves grain upwards along the tube until it spills out and dumps into a trailer, trough or bin. Unfortunately, the machinery is extremely dangerous when its guards and safety features are not properly utilized.
The high-speed spinning of the auger places the operator’s extremities and scalp in harm’s way, especially when the intake screens and shields are not in place while the machinery is turning. For every hour of use, a grain bin auger continues to be the most dangerous piece of equipment on a farm or ranch. Common injuries associated with augers include:
- Loss of Limb – When the operator or farm worker comes in contact with the exposed screw, the auger’s shaft can cause entanglement. This often results in a loss of hands, arms or scalp, especially when the operator is wearing a hat or has long hair.
- Broken Bones, Fractures and Lacerations – The corkscrew style blade on the auger is extremely sharp. When rotating to draw grain up, it can spit material out or pull the operator toward the machinery causing severe lacerations, cuts and broken bones.
- Electrocution – The height of the auger makes it highly susceptible to coming into contact with exposed electrical wires. The metal components can transfer the electricity to the operator and other farmhands causing electrocution.
- Suffocation – Without implementing effective safety protocols, farmhands can be suffocated when the grain auger dumps the load into a bin, trailer or wagon.
- Wrongful Death
Grain augers are extremely dangerous. Most accidents happen by a lack of training or through negligence.
Getting the Compensation You are Entitled to Following a Grain Auger Accident
Millions of individuals make a good living performing agricultural work in the United States. Many laws are in place to ensure that employees and owners work in a safe environment by following specific rules and regulations designed to keep everyone out of harm’s way. However, accidents still happen. Fortunately, farmers, farmhands and workers harmed in grain auger accidents have the legal right to seek compensation for their catastrophic auger-related injuries.
However, personal injury tort law involving grain auger accidents is complicated. A skilled personal injury attorney can evaluate a claim for compensation to determine if it involves premises liability, product liability, defective equipment or negligence. It is important to note that even when following safety precautions, most augers are not designed to operate without some level of risk.
When augers are designed with some defect, lack of warning or improper manufacturing processes, attorneys can file a claim or lawsuit on behalf of their clients to obtain damages including hospitalization, medical expenses, lost time away from work, loss of future earning capacity, pain and suffering.
Contact an Attorney Who Has Your Best Interest in Mind After a Grain Auger Accident
If you have suffered serious injuries working on a farm, or a loved one has died operating an grain auger, you are likely entitled to receive financial compensation in an amount greater than the minimal benefits from workers’ compensation. Any manufacturer who designed and/or distributed unsafe machinery might be required to pay you for your financial loss if you are suffering from using their product.
It is essential to contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers today. We have represented many farm workers injured in grain auger accidents. We provide a confidential, free initial consultation to discuss your case. We offer legal advice and numerous options to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. We serve as your advocate and fight aggressively to ensure you receive adequate recompense to cover your financial losses and damages.
Call our law firm at (888) 424-5757 to schedule an evaluation of your case. We strive to ensure you receive fair compensation and handle every aspect of the claim so you can focus on recovering from your wounds.