Gastric Bypass Malpractice Lawsuit
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers represents clients nationwide who have been injured by gastric bypass surgery.
Thousands of lawsuits have been brought against medical device manufacturers, surgeons, and hospitals by patients who have suffered internal bleeding, organ damage, and other life-threatening injuries after undergoing gastric bypass using surgical staplers.
A number of gastric bypass surgeries in recent years have resulted in complications and injuries. If you have been injured from this surgery, you might be eligible to receive a large financial settlement in a medical malpractice or product liability lawsuit. Contact a Chicago medical malpractice attorney at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers to learn more.
The modern surgical stapler was invented and marketed in the 1960s as a time-saving alternative to manual sutures that surgeons made to close wounds after surgery. In the decades since gastric stapling along with gastric banding have become common procedures in what is known as bariatric surgery performed to control obesity.
The two primary manufacturers of gastric bypass staplers in the U.S. are Ethicon and Medtronic (which purchased Covidien, formerly U.S. Surgical Corp., in 2015). Both companies have had serious problems reported with their products.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a gastric bypass procedure, you likely have questions about your legal rights. This web page will address the following topics:
- How does gastric bypass work?
- What complications are associated with gastric bypass procedures?
- What kinds of payouts have gastric bypass malpractice plaintiffs received?
- How can Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers help me win compensation?
How Does Gastric Bypass Work?Over nine million Americans are classified as morbidly obese. The weight loss industry has pushed “miracle” cures for obesity which have encouraged overweight people to seek out quick and easy ways to lose weight.
The gastric bypass stapler allows surgeons to close the incisions made during the procedure, which are too large for stitches. After the surgery, patients eat less food because the upper portion of the stomach becomes full more quickly, controlling the appetite.
Examples of Medical Negligence
Candidates for gastric bypass should be screened for the following criteria:
- The patient must be at least 100 pounds overweight or have a body mass index (BMI) of 40. In cases in which weight problems are contributing to other serious medical conditions, the minimum BMI may be lowered to 35.
- The patient must be an appropriate age for the procedure. Almost one-third of patients over the age of 65 who undergo gastric bypass suffer from major complications that threaten their health or diminish their quality of life, as opposed to only eight percent of younger patients.
- The patient should not have too many other health problems, such as blood clots, that could complicate the procedure.
What Complications Are Associated With Gastric Bypass Procedures?Up to 15 percent of gastric bypass patients reportedly experience some form of complication after the surgery. Studies show that two percent of patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery die within the first 30 days after the procedure, and an additional five percent die within a year.
Common complications that result from malpractice in performing this procedure include:
- Bleeding or leaking fluids that cause infections in the abdominal cavity
- Hernia at the incision site
- Gall stones
- Kidney failure
- Pulmonary embolism
- Death due to one or more of the above complications
Contact us today so we can arrange a free consultation to answer your questions about your legal rights and how to move forward with your case as you seek justice for the medical negligence that caused you personal injury.
What Kinds of Payouts Have Gastric Bypass Malpractice Plaintiffs Received?Here is a sample of what some surgery plaintiffs and their families have recovered:
$2.4 Million Medical Neeglgience Settlement
$2 Million Settlement
How Can Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers Help Me Recover Compensation for For Gastric Bypass Malpractice?
If you have been injured from stomach-stapling surgery, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers has access to the resources needed to represent your interests and ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. A medical malpractice lawyer can assist you in recovering for the harm that was done to you.
By enlisting the assistance of experts in fields such as medicine and economics, we are able to properly argue and value your case in order to make certain that your present and future expenses are covered.
We are a law firm that can help you with your medical malpractice lawsuit as you seek a medical malpractice settlement or verdict.