The Chicago auto accident injury attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers come across many clients who have sustained traumatic injuries to the face during car, truck, bicycle and motorcycle accidents. These injuries can cause serious pain and discomfort while having long term implications. Some of these injuries may alter the victims’ appearances and cause emotional anguish due to embarrassment, depression and a drawn out recovery process. We believe that everyone has the right to recover a fair amount of compensation so that they can return to their normal lives, but when injuries leave long lasting impressions, it is difficult to place an appropriate value on the damage.Causes of Facial Injuries Sustained in Auto Accidents
It is obvious that the face is one of the most vulnerable areas of the body during a car, truck or motorcycle accident. Motorists are often thrown forward and their faces may strike the dashboard, a steering wheel, glass or debris. Motorcyclists not wearing helmets may sustain injuries to the face when striking the ground, being thrown into another vehicle or object or coming into contact with debris. Following are some of the most serious facial injuries our Chicago auto injury lawyers have encounters and how they may occur.
- Broken nasal bone— often the result of blunt trauma endured when the face is thrown into the dashboard, steering wheel or the seat in front of a back seat victim. When airbags deploy with too much force, they may fracture bones in the face.
- Broken jaw— the jaw may break in one of two places. The maxilla is the upper jaw while the mandible comprises the lower jaw. When either part of the jaw is broken, it results in serious pain and makes it impossible for the victim to chew or speak properly.
- Fractured orbital bone— the orbital bone comprises the eye socket and those who endure orbital bone fractures may experience damage to their sight in addition to unsightly contusions and scars.
- Fractured forehead— aside from the bruising and scarring that may accompany an injury to the forehead, this type of injury can also cause internal damage to the brain. Traumatic brain injuries cause the gradual loss of cognitive functions and can permanently impair memory, motor function and the ability to concentrate or communicate.
- Facial scarring— scars can be embarrassing reminders of past trauma and are very difficult to remove. Victims with facial scars often report diminished self-esteem, depression and anxiety due to their altered appearance. Scarring can result from lacerations caused by broken glass, sharp metal or road debris.
- Broken cheekbone— a blow to the face can be jarring enough to break the cheekbone, causing intense pain and discomfort with possible dental issues.
- Broken, chipped or missing teeth— blows to the face can cause severe damage to the teeth, either due to blunt trauma or injuries sustained when the victim bites down violently.
Studies have shown that airbags actively reduce the chances that accident victims will suffer facial injuries, but defective airbags can cause injuries equally as devastating as if the victim were not protected by the airbag to begin with. The sudden deployment of an airbag when no accident has occurred or the over-deployment of an airbag at an excessive force can seriously injure the driver or front passenger. When this is the case, the victim may be able to file a claim against the manufacturer of the vehicle, citing product liability.Facial Injuries May Require Expensive Treatment Options
Facial injuries cause physical pain and emotional distress. The high cost of procedures to reconstruct the face, correct dental damage or address unsightly scarring only adds insult to injury. It may also take numerous surgeries and years of treatment for victims to recover. In some cases, the damage is permanent and the victim is forced to live with the injury for the rest of his or her life. When this is the case, our Chicago accident injury lawyers seek the maximum amount of damages that can be recovered in order to compensate the victim for the loss to his or her quality of life, ongoing emotional distress and the pain and suffering that he or she has to endure for years to come.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is an award winning personal injury law firm and our attorneys have helped thousands of car, truck and motorcycle accident victims recover the compensation they deserve after their lives were forever changed due to the actions of another person. If you have suffered facial injuries in an accident, we understand the devastating nature of your injuries and the emotional impact they can have. You should not need to worry about the financial burden of paying for specialized medical care and we will help you recover all of the compensation you are entitled to so that you can seek the treatment you need.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our highly qualified Chicago auto accident attorneys. We will answer all of your questions, collect the information we need to properly evaluate your case and let you know more about your legal options so that you know exactly how we can help you and what you can expect. Since we work solely on a contingency fee basis, you are also ensured that you will never be required to pay for our services upfront. We will only accept payment after securing compensation on your behalf and our services are free if we are unable to do so.