Lawyers for Facial Injuries in Illinois Automobile Accidents
You can’t discuss car accidents without discussing facial injuries. They are quite common in auto crashes. They produce many expenses and harms.
Cars are safer these days thanks technology and manufacturing. Yet, the face is exposed while driving. There is no sure-fire way to limit this exposure. There are numerous ways that the face can get injured. Bits of the windshield can fly into the face. The head might slam into the steering wheel. An airbag could open and bruise the face.
Below is information to understand what could happen during an accident. It will show you recovery that’s available if you are a victim. If you have any questions, contact our law firm to discuss your case.
Common Types of Facial Injuries Sustained in Illinois Auto Collisions
Many health risks flow from car crashes. Each might be reason to file suit and seek damages. Often, victims suffer different kinds of facial injuries. Here are some that you should consider.
- Breaks. The head has 14 bones. Each can be broken in an auto crash. Broken facial bones can cause significant injuries to the eyes, sinus cavities, mouth, teeth, tongue, and brain. Fractures cause years of pain and cosmetic problems.
- Deformities. Even if treated, the face can heal incorrectly. This will change the victim's appearance. Deformities will arise and impact the victim's quality of life. They produce headaches, low self-esteem, and a diminished personal image.
- Scar. Objects might hit and tear the skin. This could make a long gash across the face. Victims have a scar as a visible reminder of the trauma. This causes permanent physical pain. It has a permanent negative effect on the victim's quality of life too.
- Burns. The initial crash can cause a fire. Drivers, passengers or bystanders risk serious, life-threatening burn injuries. Severe accident-related burns are incredibly painful. They require extraordinary and ongoing medical care.
- Eyes. The eyes are extremely sensitive and vulnerable in crashes. Victims suffer scratched corneas, blindness, and other visual impairments. These demand ongoing care, follow-up treatments, and surgery.
How Facial Injuries Occur in Illinois Car Crashes
Everyone could get into a car accident. Illinois sees a lot of them each year. They cause a lot of damage to the face. Debris, glass, foreign objects and car parts harm the head. Many things try to keep us inside the vehicle. Think of seat belts and air bags. These reduce deaths. Yet, they do not reduce damage to the face. In fact, they increase that harm sometimes. It might be impossible to completely protect the head.
After a fast car stop, momentum throws the body forward. You can keep going even after the vehicle came to a halt. You might collide with the steering wheel, dashboard or windshield. The airbag or seatbelt might malfunction. These could all cause problems. That said, airbags can also injure the face and head. This happens when they inflate too fast or not fast enough. Faulty airbags cause a lot of issues.
Rear seat passengers may suffer facial injuries too. They can collide with the seat in front of them. They can smack into glass. Debris or other objects come their way. Victims who are not wearing a seatbelt are at an even greater risk. They suffer these injuries and more.
Facial Injury Statistics in Illinois Car Accidents
Facial injuries from car accidents are extremely common. Car occupants face the risk of head trauma. The impact of facial injuries can remain long after crash. Cuts and bruises heal and broken bones mend. Yet, victims suffer physical and emotional pain too. These last a long time. These harms can be hard to value. They can be hard to put a price on in court. Our Chicago attorneys handle this tough task. We look to maximum the compensation plaintiffs get. Here’s info on facial injuries and auto crashes. It covers Illinois cases.
- Lane Departure
Medical Treatment for People With Facial Injuries From Illinois Car Accidents
You have many options after a car accident for care. Yet, you and your doctors must first learn the exact nature of the harm. These kinds of incidents produce a variety of injuries. You might have broken bones, scars, eye disruptions, tissue damage, deformities, and burns. Generally, here are the main modes of treatment available. They will address many of the issues you have after a car crash.
- Eye replacement/removal.
- Tissue removal/enhancement.
- Cosmetic repairs.
- Medication/pain alleviation.
Remember, these medical treatments are very expensive. They are also painful and time-consuming. You should factor this in when deciding how much to value your lawsuit. Facial injury claims from an Illinois car accidents take planning and skill.
Defenses to Facial Injury Claims in Illinois Car Accidents Cases
There are common defenses to facial injury claims. You might face one in an Illinois case after a car crash.
- Your medical bills were not as much as you claim. Defendants might try and allege that your procedures were cosmetic. Thus, they will say that they were unnecessary. To combat this, point to other plaintiffs that prevailed on this. You could also form of compensation or argue it affected you intangibly. For instance, maybe it lowered your self-esteem. Then, the procedure might look necessary.
- Defendants cast doubt on your intangible facial injuries. They also claim they won’t affect you into the future. There are a number of ways that you can remove this doubt. Go to trial and appeal to a jury. Seek professional medical testimony on the long-term impact of harms. Offer testimony of others that have endured a similar wound.
- Defendants claim that your only economic damages should be medical bills. To sidestep this, show how the facial injury decreased your ability to work. This will add in lost wages to your claim. You can then increase the amount of economic damages you’re seeking. Your case value will rise as a result.
Defendants in car accident cases with facial injuries use stock defenses. There are tried-and-true ways to get around them. They will increase the value of recovery in court! Call us for more information.
Further Reading, Resources, and Cites
Legal Assistance for People with Facial Injuries Due to Illinois Car Crashes
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are deeply committed to protecting the legal rights of people with facial injuries from auto accidents. Our law firm has the experience to resolve your case. We will ensure you receive the maximum amount of financial recovery. We can negotiate a settlement on your behalf or win your case at trial. Our team has done both and can offer insight on both routes. Also, we work on a contingency fee basis. This means a fee is only charged after we obtain a financial recovery for you. Contact our Chicago law firm for a free case assessment.
Learn about other Illinois auto accident injuries. Please read the following pages.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.