Evanston Dog Bite Lawyers
Nearly half of all households in Illinois have dogs that serve as companions or guard dogs providing security of the home. However, when the dog’s ability to provide security backfires and the dog attacks, families and individuals can be left legally liable for the injuries involved. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is committed to holding dog owners' responsible when their animals attack or bite adults or children in Evanston, Illinois.
Dog Bite Laws Applicable to Evanston Canine Owners
Nearly every community, including Evanston Illinois, maintain city ordinances on dealing with dog bites. These local laws, municipal codes and ordinances often deal with legal responsibility or liability for any damages, injuries or death caused by the dog. Personal injury cases often involve legal theories of strict liability, negligence and reckless behavior. Owners can be found legally liable if the dog bite is the result of negligence that could include:
- Allowing the dog to roam free even though there is a city “leash law” ordinance.
- Knowing that the pet is easily excited or high strung and yet taking no reasonable steps to protect others from its propensity to attack or bite.
- Not providing adequate restraint to secure the pet including high fencing, locks on gates or other measures to control the dog.
Evanston Dog Law Municipal Codes
Chapter 4 of Evanston, Illinois Municipal Code relates to all wild and domesticated animals within the city limits, including dogs and cats. These ordinances are designed to maintain public safety. Some of these ordinances include:
- Numbers of Household Dogs – Households and individuals within the Evanston city limits are limited to three dogs on the premises. (Section 9-4-3-2)
- Dog Tag Registration – All dogs must wear a durable collar and tag with proper identification and their registration number clearly displaying its year of issuance. (Section 9-4-3-5)
- Animal Restraint – All dogs are required to be kept under restraint. This means the dog must be leashed at all times when in public or when entering commercial establishments, school premises, public beaches or in public parks and playgrounds. (Section 9-4-7)
- Vicious Animals – No individual within the city limits is permitted or allowed to keep a vicious animal on their premises. Dangerous dogs are defined by city ordinance as a pet known to have a disposition, propensity or tendency to attack without provocation. (Section 9-4-17)
Dog Attack Liability for Personal Injuries
When an individual is injured through a dog attack or dog bite, it is usually the dog owner that is legally at fault for any injuries. This is because the individual in control of the dog is held responsible for keeping other safe from attack. Injuries caused by a dog attack are often severe, long-lasting and life-altering. The dog bite can often leave the victim with deformities, scarring, fractured bones and trauma. If the actions of the dog were unprovoked, victims will often file a claim for recompense against the dog owner.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have years of experience in handling dog bites and attacks. We assist clients in protecting their legal rights by filing a claim against the dog owner to ensure the victim receives financial compensation. Our team of attorneys can build the case for recovery of:
- Hospitalization costs, medical bills and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost earnings from time away from work
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
The Evanston dog attack attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have experience in handling negligent parties who refuse to accept responsibility for the incident. We have access to valuable resources to build your case and hold each party accountable for your injuries. Contact us. Retaining our services early on will assure you obtain justice from every negligent individual through their insurance policy.
We invite you to call our law offices at (888) 424-5757 today to schedule an initial free consultation. We accept these cases on contingency to eliminate the need of paying for our legal services upfront.