Evanston car accident lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers know all too well that it takes just a moment to change the life of a vehicle accident victim forever. Nearly every year, the Illinois city deals with multiple serious accidents that cause severe injuries and fatalities to helpless victims traveling on the community’s roadways.
If you were involved in an Evanston car accident, our attorneys are here for you and your family. Our team has experience settling and litigating motor vehicle crash cases taking place in Evanston, IL. Contact us for a free case review.Recent Fatal Auto Accidents on Evanston Streets
A Wilmette woman was charged with a litany of criminal offenses stemming from an April 2014 driving rampage in Evanston where her erratic behavior caused her vehicle to strike three other cars, a bicycle and the scooter. The 63-year-old motorist faced charges including fleeing the scene and alluding local police. The initial hit-and-run accident occurred in the late hours of Sunday morning at Ridge Avenue and Church Street. The woman struck a vehicle before running into the scooter and another car before hitting the bicyclists at the intersection of Main Street and Custer Avenue.
In December 2014, a commercial truck driver working for UPS hit a pedestrian in Evanston just days before Christmas. The incident occurred when the pedestrian was in a crosswalk on Ashland Avenue. Law enforcement officers cited the driver of the UPS delivery truck for failing to exercise reasonable care and provide a safe environment for the pedestrian. The victim, suffering serious injuries was transported to Evanston Hospital on Ridge Avenue to treat her critical condition.
In a hit and run incident in June 2015, two individuals suffered serious injuries after being hit by a vehicle at Brown Avenue and Emerson Street. One of the victims was a 15-year-old boy walking westbound in the crosswalk in broad daylight. The boy was transported to Evanston Hospital where he received treatments for injuries to his hip.Dangerous Evanston Intersections Involved in Auto Accidents
In 2011, the Evanston Police Department released a detailed list outlining the city’s dangerous intersections based on the number of vehicle crashes occurring at each location. The three leading crossroads in the community all intersect with Ridge Avenue at Church Street, Lake Street and Emerson Street. Other highly dangerous junctions include:
- Ridge and Davis
- Dempster and Dodge
- Asbury and Howard
- Asbury and Dempster
- Green Bay and Emerson
- Maine and Dodge
Local police indicate that the lanes on Ridge Road are constructed narrower than surrounding roadways, which may be a leading factor in the high incident rates of accidents. All of these roads are highly traveled routes in the community where tens of thousands of vehicles use the streets every day.Common Causes of Evanston Car Accidents
Even though the City of Evanston is miles away from Interstate 94, it still has dangerous roadways throughout the community. The leading causes of accidents in smaller communities often involve:
- Distracted Driving – Driving distracted is the leading factor of the majority of car accidents occurring in small communities. Distracted driving often involves inattention behind the wheel when the motorist is consuming food, drinking beverages, sending a text message or talking on their cell phone.
- Speeding – Driving just 10 or 15 miles over the speed limit injures and kills many helpless victims every year. This is because reaction time is minimized and roadway designs often make it impossible to avoid hitting other vehicles and objects.
- Drunk Driving – Driving while intoxicated strips away the driver’s ability to focus their attention while operating the vehicle.
- Reckless Driving – Changing lanes too quickly, driving too fast or tailgating can easily cause a car accident. Many motorists act recklessly or aggressively when inpatient while driving in heavy congested traffic.
- Adverse Weather Conditions – Chicagoland’s slick surfaces caused by rain, ice and snow is a leading factor of many accidents in Evanston. The slippery roadway can cause cars, motorcycles, trucks and other vehicles to skid while braking or spin out of control.
- Running a Red Light – Red light runners injure and kill other motorists and passengers every year. The high majority of these types of accidents involve serious side-impact collisions that cause serious injuries.
- Running a Stop Sign – Many rollover accidents are the result of a side impact collision caused by a driver running a stop sign.
- Inexperienced Drivers – Young motorists are often inexperienced behind the wheel and are often unaware of what to do to react quickly when driving defensively.
If you have been hit by a careless driver it is best to seek medical help and legal representation immediately. Hiring an Evanston car attorney can help prevent costly mistakes many injured victims make when negotiating with insurance companies that are often more interested in protecting their best interest at the expense of the injured party.Filing a Claim for Compensation For Injuries Related to an Evanston Car Accident
Filing a claim or lawsuit against every party at fault for your accident is the only way to obtain fair compensation for your injuries, damages and losses. Receiving compensation can help you pay your medical expenses associated with the accident and any lost earnings along with pain and suffering. Dealing with insurance companies and filing documents for litigation can be complex. However, an Evanston car accident attorney can help.
Your attorney can assess and evaluate the evidence in your case to determine if negligence caused the accident and file a claim against every party at fault. This is important because it is the victim’s responsibility to link how another’s negligence or intentional act caused them direct harm. The burden of proof needs to show that another did not act with reasonable care and that that failure cause injuries, damages or other loss.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers at (888) 424-5757 have years of experience handling Evanston motor vehicle accidents with injuries. We accept Evanston car accident cases involving personal injury and wrongful death cases on contingency fee basis. We offer a no obligation free initial consultation to help you determine the best possible legal ways to proceed to obtain the compensation you deserve.Additional Information: