No, you are not legally obligated to give them any information.
What Should I Remember If An Insurance Company Contacts Me After A Bicycle Accident?
You do not have to give insurance companies anything by law in terms of info or materials. However, if you have been seriously injured, you may want to talk to an attorney first before discussing any details of the accident with the insurance company . Insurance companies try to obtain as much information as possible in order to help negotiate the lowest claim settlement. They are not looking out for your best interests, and often use what you say against you.
How Can An Attorney Help You After A Bicylce Accident?
While you do have a duty to cooperate with your own insurance company ( http://insurance.illinois.gov/autoinsurance/total_loss_auto.asp ), a bike accident attorney can help with how much information is necessary to disclose for the best outcome of your case. Additionally, you do not have a duty to have any direct contact with the at-fault driver's insurance company. Conversations and communications with both of these companies can dramatically shape your recovery in court. The reason why they can influence your future compensation is because anything you tell them they can use in court against you. How will they use anything I say against me? Well, their goals are to try and either weaken the amount of damages you can ask for or negate the fact that they are responsible to pay. Therefore, they will try and get you to say anything to bolster these arguments.
How Can I Prepare To Make An Effective Bicycle Accident Claim?
There are a number of things that you can do to put yourself in a better position to recover in court for bicycle accident injuries. First, learn as much about the laws governing these cases as you can. This will help you understand how to work with your attorney more effectively as well as show you what to look for and collect. Second, gather all relevant records, evidence, and other materials that are crucial to your case. These might disappear over time so it's important to preserve them quickly. Third, meet with your attorney as quickly as possible to discuss and set a trial strategy. Then, remain available and open to talk with him or her so that you both can get on the same page and swiftly file a claim. These are just some of the ways that you can prepare to make an effective bicycle accident claim. There are many others and if you call our office we can make sure that you don't miss any of them.
Call Us Before You Jeopardize Your Bicycle Accident Claim!
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC represents victims of bicycle accidents in all of their communications with lawyers, insurance companies, and other parties. We do this so that our clients don't accidentally give away any part of their case and we can do it for you too. Also, we'll do it for free until you're happy with the award or settlement. Just give us a call so that you don't jeopardize your bicycle accident claim. We can help you immediately!
For additional information see the following pages:
- Can I Have An Expert Testify For How My Bicycle Accident Occurred?
- Can I Only Be Compensated For My Medical Bills If I File A Bicycle Accident Lawsuit In Illiniois?
- Can I Still Recover Compensation For My Injuries If I Was Injured In A Hit-And-Run Bicycle Accident?
- Can More Than One Driver Be Liable In An Illinois Bicycle Accident Claim Or Lawsuit?
- Does Illinois Have Laws Specifically For Bicyclists?
- How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit After My Bicycle Accident In Illinois?
- If I Am Injured In A Chicago Bicycle Accident Due To The Fault Of A Motorist, Are They Responsible For Paying My Medical Expenses?
- Is It Possible For Me To Be Found At Fault In My Bicycle Accident And Still Recover Compensation For My Injuries?
- Is It Worthwhile To Hire An Attorney For My Bicycle Accident?
- Is The Repair Shop Responsible For My Injuries If A Faulty Repair Caused My Bicycle Accident?
- What Can I Do If My Child Was Injured Or Killed On His Or Her Bike?
- What Should I Do If I See A Bicyclist Get Hit By A Driver But I Was Unable To Stop?
- What Should I Do If I Was Injured In An Illinois Bike Accident And The Insurance Company Wants Me To Sign A Medical Authorizatio?
- What Should I Take Pictures Of If I Am In A Bicycle Injury Accident?
- Who Is Responsible If The Driver That Hit Me On My Bike Was Working At The Time?