In 2010, the FDA ordered the recall of very popular DePuy hip replacement systems (ASR XL Acetabular System and Hip Resurfacing System) after they discovered that a significant number of the devices were indeed defective and required a second corrective surgery to remove the DePuy product and replace it with a new device.
Defective design, defective materials frequently used in metal hips like DePuy
Aside from the actual design of the hip, critics also fault Johnson and Johnson, a subsidiary DePuy, for the type of materials used to manufacture their device. In some patients, the metal-on-metal design of the hip implant has produced situations where bits of the metal splinters off and gets embedded in the surrounding tissue resulting in:
- Pain while walking
- Pain when sitting or getting out of a car
- Pain in the hip, thigh or groin
- Joint inflammation
The ongoing pain has necessitated hip revision surgeries for thousands of people that are both painful and require extensive rehabilitation programs.
Heavy metal poisoning complications associated with DePuy hip devices
Yet in other patients, the defective DePuy hips has resulted in metal poisoning where the DePuy patient’s body has absorbed the metals (cobalt and chromium) used in its manufacturing. In these situations, the patients will likely require ongoing monitoring and medical care for the remainder of their lives.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers has been involved in the DePuy hip recall litigation from the onset. We have assembled a team of medical experts to evaluate our clients’ cases and help assess what type of future medical care they will require.DePuy ASR hip replacement defect attorneys
If you were the recipient of a DePuy hip replacement product or other type of metal hip replacement and have experienced complications, our DePuy hip recall attorneys would honor the opportunity to speak with you help you evaluate your legal options. Our office is handling metal hip defect cases involving devices such as Stryker Rejuvenate in Chicago, Illinois and across the country.
We are committed to evaluating each case independently and never take the needs of each client for-granted. If you are looking for hands on, personalized legal representation for your metal hip case, give our office a call today for a free evaluation and frank discussion about your legal rights.
Resources related to DePuy recall and litigation:
Related materials from Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers:
- DePuy Hip Replacement Patients: What The Company Doesn’t Want You To Know About Your Legal Rights
- Bold Move By FDA Requires Metal-On-Metal Hip Makers To Conduct Safety Evaluations Of Their Products
- New Lawsuits Filed Against DePuy Orthopedics Related To Defective Hip Replacement Products
- DePuy Failure Rates Much Higher Than Originally Thought. How Bad Will Things Get?
- DePuy ASR Complications: Heavy Metal Poisoning (Cobalt & Chromium)
- British Study Presents More Concerns Over Long-Term Problems With DePuy & Other Metal Hips
- In Britain, Former DePuy Promoter Sues Company for Faulty Hip Implant
- All-Metal Hip Resurfacing Devices Receive More Scrutiny
- Metal Hip Failures, Lots Of Problems, Billions In Health-Related Costs