Chicago Toy Defect Injury Lawyers
All too often, defectively designed or produced toys become a hazard for our children, making it difficult to make the right decisions concerning which toys we allow our children to have. When your child has been injured by the very toys you purchased to bring him or her happiness, it is reasonable to feel angry and frustrated. Demanding accountability from toy manufacturers will not only allow you to meet the financial obligations that accompany treatment for your child and his or her recovery, but will also protect countless other children by forcing the manufacturers to amend their designs and policies so that others do not suffer from the same injuries your child endured.
Causes of Toy Related Injuries
Toys continue to be a large source of childhood injury despite the efforts of parents to do their due diligence and avoid the purchase of toys that present risks and hazards to their children. The most common toys and defects that result in injury include the following.
- Toys with sharp edges or pointed surfaces. These toys are capable of causing injuries regardless of the materials used to make them and parents should avoid purchasing these toys.
- Toys with small parts or detachable components. The small parts pose a choking hazard but some toys do not appear to be choking hazards at first glance. If regular wear and tear causes small pieces of the material to break off, the seemingly harmless toy can become a choking hazard and the manufacturer should be held liable.
- Toys that make loud noises. Aside from being a nuisance around the home, parents may not be aware of the damage that toys are doing to their children’s ears. When children play with toys that have sirens, make shooting noises or have alarms, the high pitched and loud noises can cause hearing loss.
- Toys that cause heat or acid burns. Electronic toys may overheat and cause burns or the batteries themselves may leak, causing acid burns and scars.
- Toys that are not properly labeled. Some toys may be labeled as safe for a certain age group while containing parts that pose a hazard. In other instances, useful warnings about hazards may be omitted or missing. Parents should be able to trust the labeling on the toys that they purchase.
- Hazardous Packaging. All too often, it is not the toy itself, but the packaging it arrives in that is the source of a serious injury. Toy manufacturers are required to design both the toys and packaging in a manner which will reduce the likelihood of injury and if the package is a source of injury, you may have a claim.
Your Rights as a Parent of a Child Who Has Suffered an Injury Related to a Defective Toy
Many of the injuries caused by defective or unsafe toys can be serious or fatal and parents have the right to demand compensation for the reimbursement of medical bills, physical and emotional trauma that results from injuries or diminished quality of life and for complications that may arise later on in the child’s life should the injuries affect his or her growth and development. If your child has been injured by a toy, it is important to weigh all of your options and to pursue compensation so that you are not saddled with a financial burden in addition to everything else that you and your child must go through.
The Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are a leading product liability law firm and our attorneys have a successful track record handling cases that are similar to your own. Whether you have questions about your rights and how the legal process works or are looking for someone to represent the interests of you and your family, we’d love to help you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with an attorney who will review the details of your case, answer your questions and get to work right away on investigating the matter and forming a plan to best secure compensation for your expenses as well as the pain and suffering that your child has endured.
Your initial consultation and our services come at no risk to you at all because our attorneys will never collect a fee for our services until we have successfully recovered damages on your behalf.