Parents have the right to expect that the products that they purchase for their children are reliable, durable and safe. Strollers that are poorly designed or produced using cheap or defective materials can be an incredible hazard both to children and those who care for them. Manufacturers have been forced to recall strollers in recent years after it was found that their products were not only causing unthinkable harm to small children, but also to parents and caretakers who used the strollers to transport children. You may be entitled to compensation if you or your child has been one of those injured by a defective stroller.
Defective Stroller or Jogger Parts My Cause Severe Injury to Child and Adults
Nobody expects that a stroller is capable of causing severe injuries but the defects reported in the products of several large stroller manufacturers have resulted in injuries that include lacerations and amputated fingers and limbs. Common defects that pose a significant risk of injury include the following.
- Defective brakes which can cause the stroller to drift away when not being attended. If the stroller is on a hill or near a source of traffic it may roll into an object or traffic, resulting in the severe injury of the child.
- Defective safety harnesses which fail to secure the child inside of the stroller. These defects can result in the child falling from the stroller or being able to climb outside of it.
- Poorly designed or missing antiroll over features that cause the stroller to tip or roll over. Infants or small children may be crushed by the force of the stroller rolling over and endure serious injuries.
- Defective components that cause the collapse or folding of the stroller while it is in use. Some of the injuries experienced when strollers suddenly fold while a child is still inside include the loss of limbs and severe lacerations that pose an immediate threat to the child’s life.
- Defective hinges that are capable of injuring the person handling the stroller. Some victims have lost fingers and hands when the hinges closed down on their hands forcibly enough to cut through their fingers or deep lacerations have required the amputation of the fingers or entire hand to prevent the spread of infection.
Stroller Recalls Due to Major Safety Issues
Since 2009, there have been recalls issued by four major stroller manufacturers following reports of lacerations and amputations due to defective hinges. One recall was issued due to the risk of strangulation after two children died when they were caught between the seat and the tray of the strollers. If you purchased a stroller from Peg Perego, Graco, Britax or Maclaren; it is important to check to see if your stroller was one of those recalls for defects that could seriously harm you or your child. If you or your child were injured by a defective stroller, you may be entitled to compensation that will cover the cost of your medical care, pain and suffering and any financial burden that you have taken on as a result of your injuries.
The Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have experience and success working with clients who have been injured due to product defects including child strollers. Our product liability attorneys can investigate the details of your case and determine whether the manufacturer of your stroller is liable under law for the costs you have incurred as well as the pain and suffering you or your child are enduring and must endure for years to come. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys— if you are unable to meet with us at our office, we will be more than happy to travel to you.
Each of our lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means we will never charge you upfront for our services and you will never need to worry about whether you can afford the services of qualified and reputable representation. If we are unable to assist you by negotiating a settlement on your behalf or winning your case in court, our services, our time and our advice will be completely free of charge.