Decatur Workers' Compensation Lawyers
Injured victims harmed in work accidents need to know that they have the right to receive workers' compensation benefits.
Workers may be entitled to these benefits if they get injured at work or off the job site due to a hostile work environment or performing voluntary tasks. Unfortunately, the workers' comp process can be confusing and frustrating for those who don't understand workers' compensation law.
Did you suffer a workplace injury or lose a loved one through a preventable death caused by another's negligence at work?
At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, our personal injury super lawyers represent individuals harmed in the job, ensuring they receive maximum Worker's Compensation benefits and other financial compensation they deserve.
Call our Macon County workers' compensation lawyers at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today to schedule a free consultation. All confidential or sensitive information you share with our super lawyers remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Decatur has always had powerful connections to the agricultural processing and manufacturing industries. The area is home to production facilities for numerous large companies.
The nature of these jobs places workers at a higher risk of harm. At any given time, a workers' compensation lawyer from our law firm routinely defends the interests of injured workers. Our super lawyers explore all available avenues to recover the maximum amount of workers' compensation possible on their behalf.
If you have been injured in a workplace accident, a Chicago workers' compensation lawyer can assist you in seeking the workers' compensation that you are guaranteed by law. Our compensation lawyer serving Decatur will seek all available workers' compensation options you may qualify for due to factors such as employer negligence.
Were you or a family member injured on the job? Do you need a compensation lawyer serving Decatur?
If so, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today for a free case evaluation. We have over a decade of experience in handling workers' compensation insurance claims throughout Illinois, including in DeKalb County, and can help your family too.
Our super lawyers will put in a lot of hard work to provide immediate legal services for your work injury or wrongful death.
Prominent Employers Based in Decatur
Some of the nation's largest manufacturers have production facilities within Decatur's city limits. For example, Caterpillar runs a manufacturing facility in the city that employs 3,300 workers. The company produces heavy machinery for the construction and agricultural industries.
Therefore, personal injury claims in Decatur are bound to be numerous. Do not despair if, unfortunately, you have sustained injuries. Reach out to our workers' compensation attorney for legal assistance.
Archers Daniels Midland is the largest employer in the city, offering jobs to over 4,000 people. Other businesses are on a long list of prominent employers, including Mueller Group, Tate & Lyle, the American River Transportation Company, ADM Trucking, Morgan Distributing, and the Illinova Corporation.
Employees working in these industries understand that these jobs do not come without risk. They understand that they are entitled to receive fair compensation when their tireless efforts result in a workplace accident.
They know they can count on our law firm super lawyers to help them get workers comp should and an unintentional accident happens.
The Most Common Injuries Resulting From Workplace Accidents
Workers are often sidelined for months or years after suffering an injury. While it may seem like a minor accident, workers' compensation claims ensure that the injured victim can receive medical benefits to deal with their injuries. Our workers' compensation attorney will fight proactively for your rights.
All types of injuries that can result in time off work and the need for expensive medical care include, but are not limited to:
- Fractures and crushed bone: Fractures have many causes, including falling objects and being struck by them. These methods vary significantly in their severity and type. Workers may be held back from returning to duties for months while they recover. Hence the need for workers' compensation.
- Loss of limb or digits: When working with heavy machinery or manufacturing equipment, workers can lose fingers, hands, and feet when getting caught in pinch points or when a piece of equipment experiences a malfunction. Workers' compensation comes in handy when an accident occurs. Contact our law firm so that a workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area can offer you a free consultation.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): Workers can lose fingers, hands, and feet when caught in pinch points when working with heavy machinery or manufacturing equipment. Equipment malfunctions are also a cause of accidents that lead to body parts being lost or damaged. To pay for medical bills and upkeep, the injured victims depend on the workers' compensation. If you do not know how to go about the process, book a free consultation with a workers' compensation lawyer.
- Severe burns: Contact with corrosive chemicals, heated machinery, or explosions can result in severe burns, which will cause a painful recovery process. There may be no way to address the unsightly scars that remain long after an accident. It's in this kind of scenario that a workers' compensation lawyer from our law firm comes in to salvage justice for you.
- Back injuries: Common in many industries, back injuries are generally sustained when lifting heavy objects improperly. Have a workers' compensation lawyer by your side to protect your rights if a workplace accident occurs.
Workers need to ensure they receive proper training before assuming their responsibilities. By understanding how valuable their lives are, workers can take the necessary precautions to avoid accidents that result in severe or fatal injuries.
However, if a workplace accident occurs, the injured victims should speak with a compensation lawyer serving Decatur for a free consultation on how to get their workers' compensation from the insurance company.
What You Need to Know Before Filing a Decatur, IL Work Comp Claim
Our super lawyers occasionally come across injury claims where employers or insurance companies attempt to take advantage of victims that are not fully aware of the law and their rights. Our compensation lawyer serving Decatur from our law firm offers a free consultation to mitigate this kind of situation.
To punish employers who deny benefits or trick employees into accepting settlements not in their best interests, the Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission may award up to 50% of medical bills as punitive damages.
Additionally, if your employer did not have the required insurance to cover you or someone else in the event of a work injury, our workers' compensation lawyer can institute a criminal and civil action against them.
Employers and insurance companies have been trying to deny you your workers' comp benefits for a long time, but now workers are standing up against their claims. To protect your workers' comp, schedule a free consultation with our workers' compensation lawyer or fill in a contact form, and the compensation lawyer serving Decatur will get back to you.
You should be receiving the following:
- Medical care from a qualified doctor chosen by your employer's insurer
- Temporary disability payments under state law while you recover. If you're not receiving the payments, reach out to our compensation lawyer serving Decatur
- Wage-replacement payments so that 60 percent of wages lost during recovery is paid
- Reasonable workers' compensation lawyer fees if an agreement cannot be reached
If permanent physical injuries arise in the future due to work injury or occupational disease, there will also be reimbursement available. But, again, let our compensation lawyer serving Decatur follow up if you're not conversant with the compensation law.
Also, workers' compensation can include indemnity (lost earnings), medical expenses incurred at the date of the accident
- Damages resulting from emotional distress
- Punitive damages when gross negligence
You have the right to choose your doctor and seek multiple opinions from super lawyers, as well as disability benefits, in case you are permanently unable to return to work.
These benefits will be paid out in a lump sum with protection from inflation by an Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission fund. Speak with a workers' compensation lawyer if unsure of the amount to expect.
In the event you are permanently unable to return to work, you deserve disability benefits. These benefits will be paid out in a lump sum with protection from inflation by an Illinois workers' compensation commission fund. Schedule a free consultation with our workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area for sound legal advice if in doubt.
This benefit ensures that you are still able to meet your obligations while recovering and progressing through rehabilitation. You should receive two-thirds of the value of your weekly wages.
This benefit ensures that you can maintain financial stability during recovery, not damage or derail progress in rehab. In addition, our law firm's workers' compensation lawyer can guide you if you do not know where to start.
The Right to Take Legal Action
You would have the right to legal action if your work accident were due to your employer's negligence or product liability. If you are unsure of what this entails, talk with a workers' compensation lawyer who can help clarify any questions and proceed accordingly in seeking workers' compensation for damages incurred as a result of workplace injury.
The Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission is responsible for settling any disputes between employers and injured workers. A compensation lawyer serving Decatur by side before you remark on the compensation process could be helpful.
Workers' compensation cases reported in the Decatur area are handled at the hearing site in Urbana, located at:
108 E. Water Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The Conditions Covered by Workers' Compensation
Workers' compensation benefits cover not all medical conditions and workplace injuries. As a layman, you may not know which are covered and which are not. Thus, it's crucial to involve a workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area.
Of those injuries covered, repetitive stress syndrome and exposure to hazardous conditions are claimed most often. Therefore, it's advisable to seek a free consultation from a law firm to get legal advice.
Some types of injuries covered by the Worker's Compensation benefit program include:
- Overuse injuries: These injuries can occur when a worker is doing the same task repeatedly for several hours at a time. Repetitive motions cause small tears in muscles and tendons, which can lead to long-term pain and disability. Schedule a free consultation with a worker's compensation lawyer from our law firm for legal help to get your workers comp.
- Sprains and fractures: Falls or collisions with heavy objects are two leading causes of workers' injuries.
- Back injuries: These types of injuries are usually sustained when lifting heavy objects improperly. The weight of the object can strain muscles and ligaments, causing back pain. Talk with a workers' compensation lawyer serving your area for a legal way forward.
- Cuts, bites, or stings: Working with farm animals or food production facilities can expose workers to dangerous conditions requiring immediate medical attention. Cuts from farm animals or sharp tools used to cut food can result in injuries requiring emergency care before getting an infection.A compensation lawyer serving Decatur can help you to Fasttrack your case and end your anguish.
- Eye injuries: Working with certain types of equipment, such as grinders and lathes, can cause workers to lose sight or severely damage it. In addition, accidents involving chemicals or objects ejected by the machines can lead to temporary or permanent blindness; pursuing a compensation lawsuit while nursing eye injuries can be challenging. Let our compensation lawyer serving Decatur take charge while you recuperate.
- Falling accidents: Workers are likely to suffer injury in their employment if they are working on elevated platforms, roofs, or scaffolds. In that case, it's wise to book a free consultation with a workers' compensation lawyer from our law firm. In doing so, you will get your workers comp to pay for your medical costs.
- Repetitive Stress Syndrome: Repetitive stress syndrome is when an individual experiences pain in their muscles and joints due to repetitive motions or tasks during work hours. One common example is when a worker types at a computer for several hours a day. But again, our workers' compensation attorney knows how to argue his case, and your fate will be in a safe pair of hands.
The workers' compensation benefits program is designed to provide funds for medical treatment, disability payments, and any other financial need tied to workplace injuries or accidents.
The claimant must be prepared to cooperate with their employer's claims adjuster or risk having their claim denied to receive these benefits. It's also in your best interest to book a free consultation with a workers' compensation lawyer to resolve your legal issue.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: Carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful hand and wrist condition resulting in loss of grip or dexterity in the hands. The good news for workers who suffer from this injury is that they are likely to receive workers' compensation benefits when determined to be work-related. Our workers' compensation attorney understands the compensation law like the palm of his hand.
- Fungal infections: Fungus is a frequent cause of skin and nail infections in farm animals, which means livestock handlers may be at risk for contracting infectious diseases. Skin and fungal infections can develop after exposure to farm animals or their bedding. If you have been diagnosed with skin diseases resulting from a workplace, our top-notch compensation lawyer serving Decatur can help you.
- Slip & fall accidents: These accidents may occur anywhere a company must provide a safe work environment, including on the business parking lot or at offsite events. Suppose you sustain a personal injury; it will be prudent to schedule a free consultation with a worker's compensation lawyer from our law firm to get your workers comp.
- Farm injuries: Some of the most common causes of farm accidents include being thrown from an animal, falling from a height, and being injured by machinery. Whereas it might be hard to avoid this kind of accident entirely, a worker's compensation lawyer serving in your area can come in handy if an injury occurs.
- Dog bites: Dog bites are fairly common in rural communities, mainly when the dog is not properly supervised when around postal workers, mail carriers, and delivery persons. Victims of dog bites may be eligible to receive workers' compensation benefits that compensate them for lost wages or medical expenses tied to the injuries. You do need to be moving up and down while nursing a dog's bite injury while our top-creme compensation lawyer serving Decatur can do the needful.
- Hearing loss: Exposure to certain types of equipment used in many industries, such as construction sites and manufacturing facilities, can cause workers to suffer long-term hearing loss when they are not wearing proper protection. Do not languish in silence. Reach out to a workers' compensation attorney for legal representation.
Claims adjusters are generally very knowledgeable about the injuries covered by the workers' compensation benefits program. Therefore, they will work with individual claimants to ensure they receive the required care.
However, it helps to have a conversant compensation lawyer serving Decatur to guide accordingly.
Workers' compensation benefits provide financial assistance to the injury victim, family and cover medical costs if they suffer a personal injury if an accident happens at work, whether a large corporation or independent company employs them. The key to receiving workers comp is cooperating with the claim's adjuster and a workers' compensation lawyer from nearby cities during the accident investigation.
About 25% of Injured Workers Filed for Workers' Compensation in Illinois
The most recent statistics, published in 2017, indicate nearly 200,000 accidents on the job in Illinois.
However, only about one out of four claims were filed with the Commission regarding workplace injuries. In addition, less than 25% of employees report work-related illnesses or injuries to their employers, according to data from a national survey conducted by the non-profit group Healthy Workplace Project (HWP).
Therefore, there is a pressing need to sensitize the injured victims to be seeking legal assistance from a worker's compensation lawyer serving in their areas.
Injured workers were not receiving the benefits they deserved due to a discrepancy in claims filed versus those that could have been filed. From injured workers who did file, 90% settled for an acceptable amount, and 10% had their claim denied by an arbitrator on behalf of the Commission.
Going by the above statistics, an injured victim will be advised to work closely with a workers' compensation lawyer to get rightful benefits.
Almost half of all injured workers who had their benefits denied appealed. About 40% reached settlements, and 10% were ineligible for workers' compensation again. Around one-third (31%) of the total number of claims filed in 2017 on worker's comp came from Cook County alone.
Since it is home to Chicago, which has a large population, this region represents most workers' compensation cases by far. Therefore, engaging a workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area counts a lot on whether you will win a case or not.
Don't take chances, always ensure you have a workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area nearby.
The Commission statistics revealed that the top leading causes of job-related injuries that did not result in a wrongful death happened through:
- Slip, trip, or fall
- Contact with a piece of equipment or object
- Contact a workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area if you have suffered workplace violence
- Our workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area is an expert in resolving legal issues of type harmful toxic or environmental condition exposure
The leading industry in Illinois involving workers' compensation benefits is the government, which accounts for 33.6% of all claims. Manufacturing comes second at 18%, while natural resources and construction are tied with 11% each. The services sector follows closely behind with 9%.
As per the figures above, employees working for the government, manufacturing, natural resources, construction, and services sectors appear more vulnerable to workplace injuries. It follows then that they should know how to engage a workers' compensation lawyer when the need arises.
How We Can Help You Get Workers' Compensation for Your Job Injuries
The United States Workers' Compensation System ensures that injured employees have access to comp benefits to manage their health and medical expenses. A workers' compensation lawyer understands the employment law protecting the injured victim's rights.
Our super lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your injuries to ensure that no stone is left unturned when seeking workers' compensation on your behalf. Should our personal injury attorney not recover workers' compensation on your behalf, you will not owe us anything for our services.
Our compensation lawyer serving Decatur will represent your legal interests and can recover the maximum amount of damages allowed by state law by pursuing all available avenues of recovering workers' compensation on your behalf in resolving your workers' compensation case.
Do I Have to Sue My Employer to Get Workers' Compensation?
No, you do not have to file a civil lawsuit against your employer to receive workers' compensation benefits, except under extenuating circumstances. This situation is different than the civil system, wherein you would file a lawsuit against someone for pain and suffering if you were injured in an accident.
The workers' compensation system has its own special rules which determine who has the right to sue (the employee or the employer) and when.
Our workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area will legally hold your hand and walk you through the compensation process.
Workers' compensation claims are handled by insurance companies, not by both parties directly. In some states, employees may choose their own insurance company from a list provided by the state. However, this is not the case in Illinois, where the Department of Insurance must approve an employee's insurance carrier.
In many cases, workers have been seriously injured and have no recourse to file a civil lawsuit against their employer. However, this is a highly complex process and should only be done if the employee's injury meets specific requirements, such as a permanent or disfiguring injury.
However, it's advisable to consult a compensation lawyer serving Decatur in your area if you do not understand the legal process.
The Department of Labor has set up several state-regulated options for employees to file workers' comp claims. These include the Workers' Compensation Commission, Division of Employment Services (IDES) Offices, and other organizations certified by the State.
These organizations can help in many ways, including filing claims, providing forms and applications, and having employees' workers' compensation claims processed quickly. In addition, if you were injured and unable to follow up, our proactive workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area can legally assist you.
What Workers' Compensation Benefits Are in My Weekly Paycheck?
A typical weekly or biweekly Workers' Compensation benefit paycheck should include funds covering medical expenses, lost wages, and future earnings based on temporary/permanent disabilities.
However, the funds do not include non-economic damages, including pain, suffering, discomfort, inconvenience, and emotional anxiety over your injuries. Additionally, recovering a workers' compensation lawyer serving fees are often excluded from most workers' compensation benefit paychecks.
Therefore, it may be a challenge for you to navigate the compensation process while you're recuperating. Luckily, you can count on our workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area to help you legally.
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
Non-economic damages are awarded to compensate the victim for their physical, mental, and emotional injuries in pain and suffering caused by another party's negligent actions.
These damage awards are not tangible assets that can be returned after the case is closed and paid out. Therefore, you need an experienced workers' compensation lawyer serving in your area to lobby for the best possible compensation.
Some Reasons Non-Economic Damages May Be Awarded
A personal injury lawsuit that results in a finding of non-economic damages may be awarded as part of a civil claim or an insurance company's fault for making a negligent payout to the injured victim.
The reasoning behind awarding non-economic damages may include, but are not limited to:
- Intentional harm or damage causing distress on the part of another person. Injustice caused by the negligent actions of a company.
- Workers' compensation can be reimbursed for an injury resulting from a crime through a criminal restitution fund.
What If I Do Not Receive My Weekly / Biweekly Workers' Compensation Benefit?
If you suspect or know that your workers' compensation benefits have not been paid to you on time, contact the Employment Security Department (ESD) immediately.
The ESD is responsible for overseeing and enforcing violations of worker's rights under the law as it applies to holdback requests and timely benefit payouts. They can be reached at 800-318-6022.
Factors Affecting Your Weekly / Biweekly Benefit Payout
The amount of your weekly or biweekly benefit payout is based on the percentage of your average weekly wage that you have been determined to be disabled from working by a medical professional. In addition, any disability pay for permanent medical damage will not equal 100% of your wages.
Many injured workers will seek additional workers' comp benefits by filing a personal injury claim against their employer or a third party when their payment is insufficient, or the insurance company is denied benefits. Fortunately, our compensation lawyer serving Decatur can come to your legal rescue when the insurance company plays hardball.
A workers' compensation attorney can provide legal representation to ensure you receive maximum payments for your damages. Our super lawyers have obtained millions on behalf of our clients. Call us now for your free consultation today.
Some Other Benefits of Filing a Workers' Compensation Claim
While filing a workers' compensation claim, you may be entitled to non-taxable insurance benefits provided by the employer through their workers' compensation policy (some states do not follow this rule).
The money received from these benefits is meant to cover the cost of medical costs, prescriptions, and other expenses related to your recovery. A workers' compensation attorney can help you identify income benefits that might be taxable when paid to a workers' comp claim.
Hire Decatur Workers' Compensation Lawyers
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a highly trusted and awarded Illinois workers' compensation law firm helping injured workers receive maximum workers' compensation benefits. Our personal injury lawyers work with a comprehensive network of medical professionals, economists, social workers, and attorneys to meet all your needs.
We understand your immediate need for quality medical treatment and will connect you with specialists that can help you recover more quickly. Our workers' comp lawyers also provide services to those who have been permanently injured to help them adjust and move forward with their lives.
To learn more about your rights and to explore your legal options with a qualified Decatur workers' compensation lawyer serving Decatur, IL, contact us at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) today to arrange a free consultation. Our law firm has been representing injured workers for years.
Our Decatur workers' compensation lawyers accept all personal injury cases and wrongful death lawsuits on a contingency fee basis. This promise ensures you pay nothing until we resolve your case through a negotiated settlement or jury award.
Contact us today for information on our Decatur workers' compensation attorneys, obtaining legal advice, attorney-client relationship, social security benefits, law office locations, and practice areas.