Decatur has always had very strong connections to the agricultural processing and manufacturing industries and is home to production facilities for numerous large companies. The nature of these jobs places workers at greater risk of harm and the Decatur workers compensation lawyers of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC routinely defend the interests of injured workers and explore all available avenues to recover the maximum amount of compensation possible on their behalves. If you have been injured in a workplace accident, we can assist you in seeking the compensation that you are guaranteed by law as well as any other compensation you may qualify for due to factors such as employer negligence.
If you or a family member was injured on the job and are in need of a Decatur, IL workers compensation lawyer, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today for a free consultation.
Prominent Employers Based in Decatur
Some of the nation’s largest manufacturers have production facilities within Decatur’s city limits. Of these is Caterpillar, which runs a facility that employs 3,300 employees and produces heavy machinery for the construction and agricultural industries. Archers Daniels Midland is the largest employer in the city, offering jobs to over 4,000 people and the list of prominent employers in the city includes Mueller Group, Tate & Lyle, the American River Transportation Company, ADM Trucking, Morgan Distributing and the Illinova Corporation. While workers understand that these jobs do not come without risk, they are entitled to receive fair compensation when their tireless efforts result in a workplace accident.
The Most Common Injuries Resulting from Workplace Accidents
While it is true that the grand majority of injuries reported on the job each year are minor, and often related to overexertion, tens of thousands of workers suffer from injuries that sideline them from returning to their duties for a significant period of time. The types of injuries that can result in time off of work and the need for expensive medical care include the following.
- Broken or crushed bones. Fractures have a multitude of causes, including trip, slip and fall injuries, being caught between moving parts and being struck by falling objects. The method of treating these injuries varies greatly by the severity and type of fracture and workers can be held back from returning to their duties for months while they recover.
- Loss of limb or digits. When working with heavy machinery or manufacturing equipment, it is possible for workers to lose fingers, hands and feet when getting caught in pinch points or when a piece of equipment experiences a malfunction.
- Traumatic brain injury. These injuries are often silent killers because workers who have sustained a blow to the head may not always feel the immediate effects of a TBI. It can take weeks or months for the symptoms of a TBI to become apparent, and by this point the victim may have developed a neurological disorder that has a long term impact on concentration, reasoning, memory and cognitive function.
- Severe burns. Explosions, contact with corrosive chemicals and contact with heated machinery can result in serious burns. Workers that suffer from third and fourth degree burns must undergo a long and painful recovery process and there may be no way to address the unsightly scars that remain long after the accident.
What You Need to Know Before Filing a Decatur, IL Work Comp Claim
Our Decatur, IL workers compensation attorneys occasionally stumble upon cases in which employers or insurance companies attempt to take advantage of victims that are not fully aware of their rights. If your employer tries to deny you benefits or trick you into accepting a settlement that is not in your best interests, you are entitled to recover additional benefits as a punitive measure. The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission may reward you with up to 50% of the value of your medical bills in punitive damages in response to these tactics. Additionally, if your employer did not have the required insurance to cover you in the event of injury, criminal and civil action can also be brought against it.
86% of injured workers now seek legal representation when filing their claims due to the past efforts of employers and their insurance companies to deny workers the benefits that they are guaranteed through state law. Following are all of the things you are entitled to when you’ve been injured on the job, regardless of who was at fault.
- The full value of your past and future medical treatment, including rehabilitative therapy. You also have the right to choose your doctor and seek multiple opinions.
- Disability benefits, in the event you are permanently unable to return to work. These benefits are paid in a lump sum. In order to protect them from erosion due to factors such as inflation, the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission provides a fund to cover cost of living increases.
- Two-thirds of the value of your weekly wages. This is to ensure you are still able to meet your obligations while you are recovering and progressing through your rehabilitation.
- The right to legal action in the event of employer negligence or product liability. If your accident was the result of a blatant attempt by your employer to avoid meeting safety regulations or an equipment malfunction, you have the right to pursue additional compensation from the responsible party.
The Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission is responsible for settling any disputes between employers and injured workers. Cases reported in the Decatur area are handled at the hearing site in Urbana, located at:
108 E. Water Street
Urbana, IL 61801
How We Can Help You Get Compensation For Your Injuries
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a highly trusted and awarded Illinois workers compensation law firm that works with a comprehensive network of medical professionals, economists, social workers and attorneys to be able to meet all of your needs. We understand your immediate need for quality medical treatment and will connect you with specialists that can help you recover more quickly. We also provide services to those who have been permanently injured to help them adjust and move forward with their lives. Finally, we represent your legal interests and are able to recover the maximum amount of damages allowed by state law by pursuing all available avenues of recovering compensation on your behalf.
To learn more about your rights and to explore your legal options with one of our qualified Decatur workers comp attorneys, contact us today to arrange a free consultation. We will conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of your injuries to ensure that no stone is left unturned when seeking compensation on your behalf. Should we be unable to recover compensation on your behalf, you will not owe us anything for our services.