Tepezza (Teprotumumab) is an injectable medication for thyroid eye disease (TED). Its maker, Horizon Pharmaceuticals, has recently been facing lawsuits claiming the drug caused plaintiffs to develop permanent hearing loss or tinnitus.
These Tepezza hearing loss lawsuits claim that the drugmaker knows or should have known that the medication causes hearing loss and other harmful effects, such as tinnitus.
Despite numerous studies linking Tepezza to permanent hearing loss and tinnitus, Horizon Therapeutics failed to warn doctors and patients about the risks.
If you or a loved one developed hearing loss or tinnitus due to Tepezza, you could recover financial compensation for your damages.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC are here to help you hold the negligent manufacturer liable and obtain a fair settlement for your losses.
Contact our dangerous drug lawyers at (888) 424-5757 for a free consultation about your Tepezza hearing damage lawsuit.
What is Tepezza and What is it Used For?
Tepezza (teprotumumab) is an injectable medication for treating thyroid eye disease.
Thyroid eye disease (TED), known as Graves’ eye disease, is a rare autoimmune condition characterized by inflammation of the eye muscles, tear glands, eyelids, and fatty tissues behind the eye.
The National Organization for Rare Disorders has provided a list of these common signs, which include:
- Eye irritation: This discomfort is a common symptom and often feels like something is stuck in the eyes.
- Redness: Eyes may appear inflamed or bloodshot.
- Dryness or excessive tearing: These seemingly contradictory symptoms are both signs of the disease, indicating the eyes’ inability to regulate moisture properly.
- Bulging eyes: The tissue swelling behind the eyes can push them forward, causing a bulging appearance.
- Double vision: Misalignment or swelling of muscles controlling eye movement may lead to seeing double.
- Swollen eyelids: The inflammation and fluid buildup can cause the eyelids to swell.
- Light sensitivity: The eyes may become overly sensitive to light, making it uncomfortable to be in bright environments.
- Incomplete eye closure: The swelling may prevent the eyes from fully closing.
- Limited eye movement: The disease can affect the muscles responsible for moving the eyes, leading to difficulty in controlling their direction.
- Vision loss: In severe cases, the condition can lead to optic nerve damage, resulting in vision loss.
Tepezza medication interferes with a critical mechanism of thyroid eye disease for managing and treating this condition.
The disease involves the immune system producing antibodies that mistakenly attack eye tissue, activating insulin-like growth factor-1 receptors (IGF-1R).
This, in turn, spurs the overproduction of fibroblasts, a connective tissue responsible for the disease’s symptoms.
Tepezza operates by attaching itself to these IGF-1R and disrupting their signals, mitigating the overproduction of fibroblasts and, subsequently, the symptoms of the disease.
Tepezza’s course of treatment consists of a series of eight infusions, typically administered by a registered nurse, over a span of around five months.
In some cases, thyroid eye disease causes excessive swelling and stiffness in the eyes to the point that they can no longer move in line with each other, leading to double vision.
However, some patients who received Tepezza infusions intravenously once every three weeks showed unexpected symptoms, including hearing impairments.
Are There Tepezza Side Effects to Using the Drug to Treat Thyroid Eye Disease (TED)?
According to Tepezza’s website, possible side effects of the thyroid eye disease drug may include the following:
- Muscle cramps or spasms
- Hair loss
- High blood sugar
- Changes in taste
- Dry skin
- Blurred vision and dry eyes
- Bilateral hearing loss or tinnitus
Can Tepezza Cause Permanent Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?
Several peer-reviewed medical journals have found a link between Tepezza and otologic problems, including hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and autophony involving the unusually loud hearing of your voice.
In 2021, a year after Tepezza received FDA approval, the Endocrine Society published a study on Tepezza-related hearing loss.
The study involved 26 patients who received Tepezza infusions at least four times.
Researchers found that 65% of users reported hearing problems after four infusions (17 patients)–over six times higher than the estimated risk of hearing-related side effects disclosed by the maker during the FDA approval process.
Of those 17 patients, 23% suffered hearing loss (6 patients), 27% developed tinnitus or ringing in the ears (7 patients), and 12% reported an ear-plugging sensation (3 patients).
Tepezza Patients Suffer from Damage
Two patients had sensorineural hearing loss, while one developed patulous eustachian tube dysfunction, wherein the eustachian tube (the opening that connects the middle ear to the nasal cavity) remains open.
Several patients said their hearing problems lessened after a few months. However, the follow-up period was limited, leaving unanswered questions about the reversibility of the drug’s side effects.
Previously, Horizon Therapeutics conducted clinical trials and warned that 10% of Tepezza users might experience hearing problems–far less than the National Institutes of Health (NIH) study found.
Unveiling the Tepezza Class Action Lawsuit: A Detailed Examination of Reported Hearing Loss Symptoms
The Beginning: An Alarm in the Endocrine Society Journal Study
In May 2021, a remarkable study was published in the Journal of the Endocrine Society.
The study revealed a shocking correlation between Tepezza treatment for thyroid eye disease and the onset of hearing loss symptoms.
Researchers carried out two clinical trials, and many participants reported hearing loss after undergoing Tepezza treatment.
Tepezza Lawsuit Update: A Wave of Lawsuits: The Rise of Tepezza Class Action Lawsuit
The startling revelations from the study acted as a catalyst for legal action.
Patients who experienced hearing-related side effects after their Tepezza treatment felt the need for justice, giving birth to the Tepezza class action suit.
Not long before Tepezza, lawyers from reputable law firms began representing these clients, lending their expertise to the legal battle.
Pretrial Proceedings and the Call for Consolidation
The Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation was assigned to oversee the pretrial proceedings.
This panel was scheduled to hear oral arguments for or against the motion to consolidate Tepezza lawsuits.
This move aimed to streamline handling multiple cases that shared common allegations – primarily the claim of hearing loss symptoms following Tepezza-based treatment.
Tepezza Settlement: A Glimpse at the Possible Outcome
While it’s too soon to predict the Tepezza lawsuit settlement, the victims seek punitive damages for their hearing loss.
If successful, the lawsuits would not only compensate the victims.
They could also serve as a strong deterrent for the pharmaceutical industry, emphasizing the importance of thorough drug testing and patient safety.
The Role of a Tepezza Lawyer: Navigating the Legal Landscape
A Tepezza lawyer’s primary role is representing victims who suffered hearing damage symptoms post-Tepezza treatment.
As part of a dedicated legal team from a well-versed law firm, these legal professionals are crucial in arguing the case, supporting the victims, and seeking justice through a hearing loss class action lawsuit.
We will continue to monitor the Tepezza class action suit and its potential implications on future pharmaceutical practices.
The First Tepezza Hearing Loss Lawsuits
In August 2022, Daniel Weibel filed the first Tepezza lawsuit against Horizon Therapeutics in the U.S. District Court in the Northern District of Illinois.
Weibel claimed that he developed permanent hearing loss after a series of Tepezza infusions between June and September 2022, several months after the FDA approved the drug.
The drug’s warning label indicates hearing loss as a potential side effect, but Weibel alleges false and misleading information suggested that the hearing loss resolves and is short-lived.
According to Weibel, he would have never agreed to the treatment if he knew Tepezza could cause long-lasting hearing harm, including permanent hearing loss.
The Second Tepezza Lawsuit
In November 2022, Donna Walker filed the second Tepezza lawsuit in Illinois Federal court against Horizon Therapeutics for the defective thyroid eye disease treatment.
Like Weibel, Walker experienced hearing loss after taking the drug.
She alleges that the company misinterpreted the safety of Tepezza, suggesting that reports of hearing loss, tinnitus, or other hearing impairments were non-typical and reversible.
Since then, many plaintiffs are filing Tepezza lawsuits, claiming they suffered permanent hearing loss after Tepezza-based treatment.
Many of these suits allege that the drugmaker failed to warn patients about potentially permanent hearing loss and other hearing impairments.
Others allege that the company aggressively marketed the drug without warning consumers of the risks.
Many people who experienced hearing loss from Tepezza would require life-long use of hearing aids.
Is There a Tepezza Multidistrict Litigation?
Not yet. Usually, federal courts centralize multiple product liability lawsuits claiming similar injuries into Tepezza MDL (multidistrict litigation).
However, Tepezza litigation is still in the early stages. Many lawyers anticipate more Tepezza hearing loss lawsuits and potential bellwether trials in the following months.
If plaintiffs and defendants cannot reach settlements, each Tepezza lawsuit would go to a separate district court to determine the payout.
Are You Eligible to File a Tepezza Lawsuit?
Even if partial, experiencing impairment in one of your senses can significantly impact your life.
Hearing damage can affect your health, career, family, and general quality of life. Tepezza is supposed to treat thyroid eye disease.
You could file a Tepezza hearing loss lawsuit against Horizon Pharmaceuticals (aka Horizon Therapeutics) if you suffered hearing problems after receiving the drug:
- Potentially permanent hearing damage
- Partial hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
- Worsening of preexisting hearing issues
- Sensorineural hearing loss
What Evidence Do You Need to File a Tepezza Lawsuit?
Medical records will be primary evidence in your Tepezza lawsuit.
Your records must show that you:
- Received multiple Tepezza infusions to treat TED
- Suffered mild to significant hearing loss, tinnitus, or other hearing-related side effects
During a free legal consultation, your lawyer will further discuss these in your potential Tepezza lawsuit.
What Damages Can You Recover By Taking Legal Action?
Filing a Tepezza lawsuit could help you recover compensation for the following losses:
- Medical Expenses: Your out-of-pocket expenses for hospitalization, medication, surgery, therapy, etc., to treat hearing-associated problems.
- Disability: Hearing aid costs, loss of future earning potential, and other related damages if you suffer permanent hearing loss.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical and emotional harm caused by Tepezza infusions.
- Loss of Quality of Life: Compensation for enjoyment or quality of life lost due to hearing-related problems.
- Lost Wages: Income and benefits lost due to permanent or partial hearing loss.
- Punitive Damages: Additional compensation may be awarded to plaintiffs to punish the defendant for failing to adequately warn patients of Tepezza’s hearing-related side effects and the risk of permanent hearing problems.
Your lawyer can help you assess how much you should receive compensation for your hearing disorder and its economic and non-economic effects on your life during your free legal consultation.
Is There a Time Limit for Filing a Tepezza Lawsuit?
Product liability laws vary by state, meaning each state has a different statute of limitations for injuries caused by defective products. Most states allow plaintiffs up to two to three years to file.
If you suffered permanent hearing loss or other otological problems from Tepezza infusions, take legal action as soon as possible. Many victims are filing Tepezza hearing loss lawsuits.
What to Do Before You Take Tepezza
Due to the drug’s risk of causing potentially permanent hearing damage, medical experts recommend screening before receiving Tepezza infusions.
Consult your provider for further information.
Tepezza Hearing Loss Lawsuit: Seeking Compensation for Damaged Hearing
An increasing number of Tepezza lawsuits have emerged, as individuals receiving Tepezza infusions for a rare autoimmune disorder suffered hearing loss.
These patients seek financial compensation for their permanent hearing loss.
The Tepezza hearing loss cases often involve relatively young plaintiffs who received the treatment and subsequently suffered hearing loss, impairment, and damage.
Due to the medication, they experience persistent subjective hearing loss, tinnitus, or hearing impairment. The Tepezza lawsuits focus on state law tort claims and are filed in the Northern District of Illinois.
Taking action is essential if you or a loved one has experienced severe hearing loss after using Tepezza.
Consult a legal expert to file a Tepezza lawsuit instantly and seek compensation for the potentially permanent hearing injuries.
How Our Tepezza Lawyers Can Help
Legal representation is critical when facing off against a large corporation such as Horizon Therapeutics in a product liability lawsuit. The seasoned attorneys at our law firm are equipped to champion your rights and fight for your deserved compensation.
- Exploring and Navigating your Legal Options: We help you understand your legal rights and the best action. This includes determining whether to file a lawsuit or join a class action suit.
- Calculating Your Losses: Tepezza infusions may have caused considerable physical and emotional damage. We help calculate your total losses, considering medical bills, lost wages, and potential future costs related to your hearing loss.
- Collecting and Analyzing Evidence: A compelling case requires robust evidence. We assist in gathering relevant medical records, testimonies, and other substantial evidence to substantiate your claims.
- Engaging Experts and Specialists: To build a stronger case, we collaborate with medical experts and specialists to provide proof of your ear injury. They can testify to the connection between Tepezza infusions and hearing loss.
- Filing a Tepezza Lawsuit: Our team will handle all the paperwork, ensuring your lawsuit is correctly filed within the necessary timelines.
- Negotiating a Fair Settlement: If a Tepezza lawsuit settlement is the most beneficial route, our lawyers will negotiate to ensure you receive fair compensation for your losses.
- Providing Ongoing Legal Advice: As your case progresses, we’ll keep you informed and provide legal advice to help you make well-informed decisions.
- Representing you in Court: If your case goes to trial, our attorneys will stand by your side, presenting your case with conviction to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Post-Settlement Follow-Up: After the settlement, our engagement doesn’t end. We will assist you in understanding the settlement process and ensuring the agreement’s terms are fulfilled.
Our legal team is ready to discuss these responsibilities further during your free consultation. We’re here to support and guide you on your journey to justice by negotiating a fair Tepezza settlement.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Tepezza Hearing Loss Attorney
No one should suffer when a drug company ignores relevant safety concerns.
Unfortunately, people with thyroid eye disease (TED) trusted Horizon Therapeutics and its promising new product to relieve the illness, unaware of the risks of hearing-related problems.
If you or a loved one experienced permanent/temporary hearing loss or other otological issues after taking Tepezza, you could seek maximum compensation from a Tepezza lawsuit.
Contact our personal injury law firm at (888) 424-5757 or use the contact form for a free case review today.
Our lawyers handle all accepted hearing loss cases on a contingency fee basis. This agreement ensures you don’t have to pay our legal fees unless our law firm wins your case.