Getting Maximum Financial Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries (Explanation of Law)
Financial compensation is available to individuals suffering a spinal cord injury from accidents that are caused by another's negligence or carelessness. These include accidents that occur at home, in the workplace, in a vehicle collision, medical malpractice, by slipping or falling on someone else's property or other type of calamity. An injury to the spinal column is often traumatic, severe and life changing. The consequences involved in adapting to a serious injury can be debilitating.
Spinal cord injuries are usually extremely serious and cause extensive restriction of mobility and sensation. The exact location of damage to the spinal cord and its severity are the two leading factors in determining the extensiveness of paralysis to the torso, legs, arms and any impairment to body functions and breathing.
How Much Compensation Can You Receive for a Spinal Cord Injury Sustained in an Accident?
If another individual is even partly at fault for the injuries you sustained to your spinal cord, you might be able to obtain financial compensation. The amount of recompense you receive can assist in paying your financial bills and medical expenses you face now and in the future. How much compensation you receive will be based on various factors that include:
- How the spinal cord injury affects you, your ability to work and the impact on your family
- All past medical bills including the cost of hospitalization, transportation to doctor visits, prescription medications, surgeries and health care
- The types of health care assistance, medical equipment and ongoing care you require now and in the future
- Your ability to continue working in any occupation and any losses to your past and future earning capacity
- Every modification necessary to accommodate your mobility and functional challenges along with any special equipment required to maintain an active, though limited, lifestyle
- The expense of in-home assistance that might involve cleaning, cooking, child care and other services
- The ongoing expense of medical therapies, procedures and treatments
- The expense of rehabilitation and physical therapies
- Vehicle and transportation necessities, especially of bound to a wheelchair
- The cost of a loss of consortium, which is the inability to enjoy the companionship and affection once shared with the spouse
- The cost of enjoying life in a limited capacity
- Punitive damages, if it can be proven that the actions of others were egregious and/or intentional
Filing a Claim or Lawsuit for Damages Related to a Spinal Cord Accident
Proving a case for compensation can be difficult. The victim must prove that intentional conduct or negligent act by another individual caused the injury. In order to prove negligence, the injured individual is required to show how the defendant had a legal responsibility to the victim, such as providing quality medical care or driving safely on the roadway.
Next, the victim must show how the defendant breached their responsibility, which then caused the accident with injuries. By law, the responsibility is usually defined by the amount of reasonable care a prudent, ordinary individual would use if facing the same circumstance. Any breach of responsibility is typically considered a careless act by failing to stop at a red light, driving recklessly or prescribing a wrong medication.
Lawyers With a History of Getting Maximum Compensation for Spinal Cord Injury Cases
Nearly every type of serious spinal cord injury requires lifelong assistance, treatment and care. Most victims face financial hardships and personal challenges for the remainder of their lives. Because of that, it is essential to hire an experienced attorney who specializes in spinal cord injury claims. The best legal representation will ensure maximum compensation for long-term health care needs, rehabilitation and other medical expenses.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have extensive knowledge in obtaining damages for people with spinal cord injuries caused by an accident. Our legal team routinely recovers compensation through out-of-court settlements and jury trial awards. We build solid cases for recompense using effective strategies to hold those responsible for the accident accountable for their neglect.
If you, or a loved one, are suffering with a spinal cord injury in Illinois caused by the negligent or intentional actions of others, you have the right to bring a claim against everyone responsible for the accident. Contact us today at (888) 424-5757 for a free, initial consultation. We will evaluate your case and discuss numerous legal options to assist you in seeking financial compensation through a spinal cord claim.