Competitive Bicyclist Injury Lawyers
Athletes often do whatever it takes to compete, even if it means enduring pain and working through an injury and competitive cyclists have the same desire to win as any other athlete. If you have been injured in a Chicago bicycle accident or other bike crash while training for an upcoming competition or during the process of competition; it is easy for an opposing attorney to use your competitive nature against you.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC regularly represents competitive bicyclists and triathletes in Chicago bike accident cases. The attorneys at our law firm appreciate how a personal injury or other serious injuries sustained in a bicycle crash to an injured bicyclist has a greater impact on your life than on a sedentary person.
If you are an injured cyclists harmed while biking or competing in Chicago with a motor vehicle or other biker, contact our office for a free case review of relevant bicycle law with one of our experienced bicycle accident lawyers. The members of our law firm have many years of experience working with personal injury cases especially bicycle accident cases across the United States and Chicago, Illinois that we can put to work for you!
Expect Pushback Over your Status as a Competitor
It does not matter if you were injured while sharing the road with a motorist or if another competitor collided with you during your last competition. The moment you compete, you are compromising your bicycle accident injury claim and you need to weight the benefits of competition against the disadvantages you will face in court following a bicycle collision.
Refraining from competition is the easiest way to combat the defense that your injuries should prevent you from competing but if you are dead set on enrolling in the next race, consider additional measures to protect and build your case.
- Take as many photographs as you can, even if you don’t believe they are relevant. Photographic evidence cannot be disputed so obtain pictures of the scene of the accident, the vehicle or other bicycle, your bike and equipment immediately following the incident and the wounds that you endured. It is difficult to make the claim that you were not injured when you can provide photographic evidence of the wound and the methods taken to treat it such as taping, bandaging, bracing or placement in a cast.
- Keep accurate records of all medical care and follow the advice of your doctor. Your doctor may clear you to race only under special circumstances and your adherence to his or her advice will show that you are taking the injury seriously. In addition, having a record of your medical treatment will establish that you did suffer an injury that required treatment.
- Prepare to use performance data to make your case. If you have been injured, it may ultimately diminish your ability to perform. All athletes who decide to play through an injury are aware that they are at a competitive disadvantage. Showing that your speed and stamina were impacted by your injuries will serve to build your case even though you chose to compete.
- Highlight the laws that are in your favor throughout your case. For example, if you were injured by a motorist who turned in front of you in the middle of an intersection, establish which law(s) the motorist violated in the process of causing the accident. Your status as a competitive cyclist has no relevance when showing that the defendant clearly violated the law prior to causing you harm.
- Expect the decision to compete to damage your case in some way. It can be difficult to convince a jury that your injury should be taken seriously during a competitive bicycle accident lawsuit. You should seriously consider whether it is in your best interest to refrain from competition if it becomes apparent that you may not be able to overcome the negative impact on your case of competing.
Select an Understanding Competitive Bicycle Accident Attorney
It really can be difficult to understand the mind of an athlete and what drives him or her to continue to punish the body despite working through an injury. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have worked with competitive cyclists on similar cases and understand that even though you may be tempted to push through your injuries, they are still not to be taken lightly when presented in court. Competitive cyclists and triathletes have proven that they are capable of amazing things even when they are competing with sprains, torn muscles and broken bones.
The fact that you compete in races does not negate any damage that may have been caused because a motorist failed to grant you the right of way or an at fault cyclist collided with you during your training. You are still entitled to compensation to cover the cost of your medical treatment and to replace any equipment that may have been damaged during your competitive bicycling accident.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys so that we can show you how Chicago bike laws protect you and review your legal options prior to taking any form of legal action.
Should we be unable to secure compensation on your behalf, our services will be free of charge.