Accident victims hurt in an Amazon delivery truck or Flex vehicle filled with parcels could suffer severe injuries or death. Many parcel delivery drivers work on tight schedules, busily trying to ensure they deliver Amazon packages on time, leading to reckless driving and fatigue.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC represent victims in accident injury cases and wrongful death lawsuits involving Amazon vehicles.
Our Amazon delivery accident attorneys accept truck accident cases through contingency fee agreements to avoid the need to pay any upfront fees until we obtain compensation on your behalf.
An experienced Chicago Amazon truck accident lawyer from our law firm looks forward to working with you in an attorney-client relationship! All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team remains private.
Recently, Amazon has become an online shopping giant as the biggest name in online retail, with a website platform  rivaling many brick-and-mortar stores or struggling to compete.
Its highly efficient online site listing/selling platform has its Amazon delivery vehicles delivering millions of goods and products to nearly three million sellers worldwide.
Amazon sales have skyrocketed since the recent Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic started in early 2020, and many more consumers are buying products online.
The company developed Amazon Flex, Two-Day Prime, Amazon Fresh, and Prime Same-Day Delivery to accommodate the increased sales, with on-time deliveries second to none. These newly added delivery platforms have benefited Amazon delivery drivers and other delivery associates who deliver small boxes through rideshare programs like DoorDash and Uber Delivery.
Amazon uses other delivery drivers as partner services, including USPS (the federal postal system), UPS, DHL, FedEx, and other shipping companies. Recently, the company has added a fleet of company-branded commercial jets, contracted to a third-party airline, to quickly transport goods between airports nationwide.
Amazon Delivery Driver Liability
Were you in an auto accident caused by an Amazon delivery truck driver? A personal injury lawyer working on your behalf can determine if the delivery driver was an Amazon employee or a third-party contractor.
Your Amazon accident lawyer can ensure that all parties responsible for the auto accident are held financially accountable, even if the driver was a third-party contractor working for an Amazon delivery vehicle.
By law, a third-party contractor might not be a direct employee but must maintain commercial liability driving insurance to pay for all damages, including injuries, medical expenses, property damage, and wrongful death.
Their coverage should include bodily injury, medical bills, comprehensive insurance, collision, no-trucking liability, and cargo insurance.
Determining the Liable Party Can Be Complex
If you experienced an accident with an Amazon delivery auto vehicle, there could be several defendants in your case, including but not limited to:
- Amazon truck drivers or other commercial truck drivers
- Amazon or a third-party delivery contractor
- The vehicle manufacturer
- Government entity repairing a roadway
- A mechanic that failed to properly fix the vehicle
The legal complexity of Amazon delivery accidents can make it challenging for victims to handle a legal claim independently. Contact our experienced lawyers to find out your legal options and let them take into account the complexities of the case to get the best outcome.
Amazon’s Nearly Adopted Driver Safety Training Program
In 2018, Amazon proposed adding additional Amazon drivers’ training where each employee participated in a five-day training protocol. However, the company scrapped the delivery driver course claiming it might interfere with delivery schedules.
Instead, they hired thousands more Amazon delivery drivers, ignoring the benefits of initiating a driving safety training program as daily sales grew and the opportunity to prevent accidents involving Amazon drivers.
Today, most Amazon drivers deliver up to 300 boxes or more daily, with package numbers even higher during the peak season. Any Amazon delivery driver calling in sick or failing to deliver all their packages on time could be denied work in the future or fired from their Amazon driver job.
The company operates its “ridesharing” delivery service Amazon Flex  paying independent contractors to deliver the company’s boxes for up to $24 per hour. Most Amazon truck drivers use personal vehicles, carry commercial liability, and can receive extended coverage through Amazon Flex insurance coverage.
The recently launched program increases Amazon’s exposure to the online buying community to deliver packages faster than ever. The flexible work hours allow independent drivers to deliver packages to consumers instead of driving passengers.
Amazon Delivery Accidents’ Fatalities
According to Business Insider , ten people in the United States lost their lives in Amazon vehicle accidents between 2015 and 2019. A recent article describes that the company evades its legal responsibility of compensating the deceased victims’ families by claiming that the Amazon delivery truck drivers involved in the collisions are not technically company employees.
For years, the company has made promises of fast delivery to customers paying a monthly or annual subscription fee. They have hired independent contractors who use personal vehicles instead of an Amazon delivery truck to deliver on their promise.
Unfortunately, many of these third-party contractors that became Amazon drivers have been involved in Amazon delivery accidents with innocent motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists leading to severe injuries, including deaths.
Many of the victims and their surviving family members have never filed civil lawsuits, and those who have filed are unsure if they can sue Amazon and add them as defendants.
For years the company has argued that it has no legal responsibility for Amazon truck accidents, injuries, and deaths caused by its third-party workers. However, many plaintiffs decided to sue Amazon by hiring a specialized Amazon accident lawyer and seeking the compensation they deserved.
Amazon Delivery Trucks Liability Insurance Coverage Problems
Amazon mandates that every delivery person maintain liability insurance coverage when their cars, trucks, delivery vans, or other vehicles are used for deliveries. The company even provides in-house commercial auto insurance policies for excess insurance coverage.
The hazy boundaries between third-party independent delivery contracting drivers are complicated by who is responsible after a car accident with an Amazon delivery vehicle.
However, other motorists and passengers involved in a car accident with an Amazon delivery person who was at fault for causing the crash should take specific steps to maximize the evidence to prove their case.
These steps include:
- Call law enforcement and report the Amazon delivery driver accident.
- Ask 911 for emergency medical care at the truck/auto accident scene, even if you suspect your injuries are minor. Only a competent emergency room doctor using the best diagnostic tools can accurately identify the extent of your injuries.
- Document where the accident occurred and the vehicle locations, and capture any video or photographs of the accident with an Amazon delivery driver.
- Photograph the extent of Amazon delivery trucks and passenger vehicles’ damages
- Record the name of the Amazon delivery driver, license plate numbers, insurance policy, vehicle identification numbers, and the time the crash occurred.
- Receive all necessary medical treatment after an accurate diagnosis and follow your physician’s orders to heal as best as possible.
- See any medical specialists referred by your doctor, follow their orders and ensure that the treatment is in your medical records.
- Get a copy of the police report.
- Do not provide any written or recorded statement to the driver’s insurance company until after discussing your Amazon delivery truck accident case with a personal injury lawyer.
Contact an experienced truck accident attorney specializing in Amazon delivery truck accidents if your injuries are severe (which comes with its own extensive medical expenses sheet) or your property damages are extensive.
An Amazon truck accident lawyer from our law firm will help you deal with the bureaucracy and the insurance company, so you can heal and take care of yourself after the accident with an Amazon driver.
Catastrophic Amazon Prime Semi-Tractor-Trailer Fatal Accidents
For years, the company moved its products across the nation using semi-tractor-trailers between Amazon fulfillment locations. During this time, Amazon experienced catastrophic accidents injuring and killing their delivery contractors and others sharing the roadway.
Some of these catastrophic Amazon truck accidents include:
- Fatal Amazon Accident in Austin, TX, on February 1, 2021 – An SUV motorist rear-ended in Prime semi-tractor-trailer, bursting into flames and killing the SUV occupant. The accident occurred on State Highway 71. The SUV motorist was traveling at a high rate of speed in the early morning hours. Both vehicles caught fire.
- Catastrophic Amazon Accident in Sweetwater County, WY, on January 24, 2021 – A Sweetwater County sheriff’s deputy recorded a video of an Amazon delivery truck accident when the Prime truck crashed into the back of a semi and slid off I-80. The video recorded the Amazon driver jackknifing while passing another truck at a high rate of speed.
- Fatal Amazon Delivery Truck Accident near West Palm Beach, FL, on November 11, 2020 – An Amazon semi-tractor-trailer trucker was involved in a deadly collision involving a passenger vehicle in South Bay, Florida. This accident came just ten months after a Prime semi-truck caught fire on I-95.
- Fatal Amazon Delivery Truck Accident on New Jersey Turnpike in June 2020 – An Amazon truck traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike rear-ended a passenger vehicle killing a one-year-old boy in a horrific accident in Middlesex County, NJ.
The incident occurred just before 11:00 PM when the Amazon trucker struck the back of the Toyota Camry, trapping four occupants. Emergency medical technicians transported two adults and children to the hospital, where a three-year-old suffered severe injuries, and the one-year-old died.
Many of these reckless driving accidents could have been avoided had the Amazon trucker not been speeding or making sudden lane changes while avoiding commercial truck safety regulations and state traffic laws.
You must immediately look after your injuries if you are in an Amazon van accident. Afterward, contact an Amazon accident lawyer to get the compensation you deserve.
The Dangers of an Amazon Van Accident
Amazon vans can cause considerable damage to cars and pedestrians as they are much larger and heavier. Moreover, a fully loaded Amazon delivery van can take a longer time to come to a stop and be harder to maneuver.
Consequently, an Amazon van accident has devastating and potentially deadly consequences for other motor vehicles and their occupants.
Amazon delivery van accidents can leave victims with serious and expensive injuries such as:
- Severe whiplash: Whiplash is a type of neck injury that can be caused in a truck accident if the driver or passenger is thrown forward and then snaps their head back, leading to long-term neck pain and other injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): During a crash, the brain can be bruised or damaged by the accident’s impact.
- Spinal cord injuries: Since the spinal cord is responsible for transmitting messages from the brain to the rest of the body, therefore when it is injured, the victim may lose movement or sensation in certain parts of their body. In some cases, the victim may even suffer paralysis.
- Bone breaks: The force of the impact can cause the bone to shatter into pieces. Depending on the location of the break, the bone can pierce through the skin or even sever an artery.
- Fractures: When a victim is involved in an Amazon truck accident, a few different types of fractures can occur such as a simple fracture, a compound fracture, as well as a comminuted fracture. These fractures can cause severe pain, swelling, and difficulty moving the affected area.
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding: When a vehicle is sideswiped, the organs inside the body are forced to move around and can be crushed or punctured. In a head-on collision, the force of the impact can cause the organs to be thrown against the inside of the body cavity.
- Cuts and lacerations: When there are sharp objects in the truck that fall out or hit the victim, such as a piece of metal or a keen edge on a box, or if the victim is cut by flying glass from the windshield, windows, or blunt force of the truck.
- Amputations: The force of the impact from the truck can cause a limb to be severed because the truck either crushes, rips, or slices the limb. Amputations are needed when a body is thrown against something sharp, such as a piece of metal or glass.
- Burns: Burns can occur from the fire’s heat, contact with hot objects, or chemicals released in the fire. The extent of the burn will depend on the severity of the injury and how long the person was exposed to the burning material.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder or other emotional injuries: Symptoms of PTSD can include flashbacks, nightmares, intrusive thoughts, and hypervigilance. PTSD can be very debilitating and can make it difficult for someone to function normally in their daily life. It can also lead to other emotional injuries, such as depression and anxiety. These emotional injuries can be complicated to deal with and significantly impact someone’s quality of life.
Therefore, if you or a loved one got involved in an Amazon van accident, you must take care of your injuries first. Even if they only feel like minor scratches, it is vital to get checked by a healthcare professional, as some injuries, such as internal bleeding, may take longer to show any symptoms.
Furthermore, your medical records will also be significant evidence of your Amazon accident if you file a lawsuit against the company and the van driver. Contact our personal injury attorneys for a free consultation to discuss your Amazon truck accident case, and we will provide the legal options available to you.
Amazon Long-Haul Truck Accident Compensation
Amazon has an enormous fleet of long-haul trucks moving semi-loads of Amazon packages across the nation on freeways and highways. Many Amazon employees use company vehicles, such as Amazon delivery vans, while independent contractors transport freight loads between destinations, including Amazon fulfillment centers.
All commercial vehicles, including Amazon long-haul trucks, must follow Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)  rules on trucker safety, vehicle safety, and restricted work hours.
Any rule violation might entitle accident victims injured by an Amazon delivery truck driver to additional compensation to pay for all damages, including:
- Hospitalization and medical costs (including medical bills)
- Physical therapy
- Lost wages and future lost earnings.
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish
The FMCSA writes the rules and regulations for every state and federal commercial trucking company, including Amazon.
These rules promote public safety, minimize catastrophic accidents on the nation’s freeways, and include mandatory guidelines for Amazon delivery drivers on truck safety, HOS (hours of service), trucker health, weight limits, and alcohol/drug testing.
Common Causes for Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Amazon shares many typical causes of their delivery accidents with other commercial delivery carriers. The most common causes of the Amazon delivery truck accident include:
- Driving distracted
- Fatigue (long work hours)
- Tight delivery schedules (unrealistic delivery timetables)
- Delivery truck blind spots
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Adverse weather conditions
- Aggressive driving
- Overloaded packages
- Inadequate maintenance of the Amazon delivery van
Amazon Delivery Truck Accident Lawyers – Filing a Claim with the Amazon Insurance Company
Were you injured, or did you lose a loved one in a horrific accident involving an Amazon driver or a third-party contractor? Contact the personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone call) or use the contact form to schedule a free consultation.
Our law firm has successfully counseled, advocated, and solved our clients’ personal injury cases, resulting in over $250 million in negotiated settlements and jury trial verdicts.
Your Amazon accident lawyer works directly with insurance adjusters to ensure our clients receive maximum compensation for their medical bills, hospitalization costs, property damage, lost wages, future lost earnings, pain, suffering, and funeral and burial expenses (in wrongful death cases).
Free Legal Consultations
During your free case review, a truck accident lawyer from our law firm will discuss your case and provide legal advice on filing a personal injury claim against Amazon or their driver’s insurance provider. Our legal team will negotiate your settlement or build a personal injury case to sue Amazon at trial.
All personal information and evidence you share with our lawyers and law office remain confidential through an attorney-client relationship, even during your free consultation.