Truck Accident Attorneys Serving Chicago, Illinois
Large trucks like trailer tractors and other commercial vehicles commonly travel on busy interstate highways and other major roads throughout the country, at speeds that can cause a catastrophic accident to occur. In 2011, there were 287,000 accidents involving large trucks in the U.S., with 88,000 people being injured and 3,757 of these ending in fatalities. In Illinois alone, there were 120 accident deaths involving large truck that year, where 93 deaths involved tractor trailers.
High Risk of Serious Injury & Fatality To Other Vehicles The On Road
The majority of injuries and fatalities in large truck accidents are occupants traveling in other vehicles involved in the crash. In fact, 80% of the fatality accidents involving large trucks in 2011 were multiple vehicle accidents with occupants of the trucks making up only 17% of the fatalities. The other 83% were either traveling in other vehicles or were pedestrians/cyclists. These chilling facts reveal the grim outlook as to what can happen when a passenger vehicle and a large truck collide on the road.
Illinois Interstate And Highway Truck Accidents
Illinois has the 3rd most miles of Interstate highways in the nation, inviting many of these large trucks to pass through it’s urban and rural areas. With over 2,200 miles of Interstates and thousands of more miles of other major highways and roads, thousands of trucks and millions of miles are driven everyday in Illinois. The vast numbers of vehicles traveling in and through Illinois create dangerous scenarios for other vehicles sharing the road avoiding a crash with one of these large trucks.
- Nearly 18% of all the miles traveled in urban Illinois areas, mostly Chicago, are driven by large trucks.
- Only 3% of all accidents in Illinois involve large trucks, yet 10% of fatality accidents are attributed to large truck crashes.
- Almost 65% of all tractor trailer accidents in Illinois happen on Interstates or state highways.
Chicago Truck Accident Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Large truck accidents are complicated, which makes it difficult to determine liability, especially in a wrongful death lawsuit . Commercial truck accidents often have more than one liable party involved, since the trucker was usually working at the time of the accident. Not only can the trucker be held financially responsible for the wrongful death but the trucking company they work for may be liable as well. Handling these types of accident claims or lawsuits requires an attorney who is familiar with motor vehicle accident law, Illinois civil tort law, and wrongful death cases.
Compensation Afforded To Families Under Illinois Wrongful Death Act Law
Although there is no way to truly put a value on the loss of a loved one, there are financial considerations to be made when someone’s life has been taken through negligence. Depending on the age of the victim and circumstances of the accident involving the negligence of a large truck operator, compensation can include lost income to the family and a financial award for pain and suffering. Each state has it’s own guidelines on who can file a wrongful death case and it is best to discuss the options with an experienced Illinois truck accident lawyer.Chicago Truck Accident Attorneys, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC
Losing a loved one in a tragic accident is one of the most difficult times any family can face. Although financial concerns may be the last thing on anyone’s mind, it is important to start the investigation as soon as possible to ensure that whoever is responsible for taking the life of an innocent victim is held liable for their actions. The Chicago truck accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC understand how hard this time of bereavement is and our lawyers are respectful of the needs of the family.
Our attorneys offer a free consultation to discuss the legal options that are available. Our firm can begin an investigation into the accident while the family takes the time they need to grieve their loss. Our fees are contingent on receiving a financial award or a negotiated settlement in your case so there is no upfront money required to begin working on your truck accident wrongful death lawsuit. Please contact us today to schedule your appointment at our offices in Chicago or we can come to you.
Truck Accident Fatality Information: