Nursing home staff members are required to maintain a resident’s dignity and respect for individuality at all times. In part, this means ensuring that the staff provides a level of health and hygiene care to the resident that does not compromise their self-esteem through humiliation or embarrassment. Unfortunately, not all nurses and nurses’ aides take appropriate measures to ensure the resident’s dignity is maintained at all times. The elder abuse attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC provide legal counsel and representation to individuals who have been embarrassed, humiliated, mistreated or neglected at Illinois nursing facilities like Aperion Care Litchfield.
Aperion Care Litchfield
The Center is a 65-certified-bed ‘for profit’ Medicare/Medicaid-accepted nursing facility providing services to residents of Litchfield and Montgomery County, Illinois. The nursing home is located at:
1024 E. Tyler
Litchfield, IL 62056
In addition to providing skilled nursing care, the facility also offers diabetes management, medication management, palliative/hospice care, wound care, pain management and symptoms/behavior management.
Litchfield Nursing Home Resident Safety Concerns
Families can visit Medicare.gov for a complete list of all opened investigations, safety concerns, filed complaints and health violations that are routinely updated by the state of Illinois and the federal government.
Currently, Aperion Care Litchfield maintains an overall four out of five available rating in the national Medicare comparison analysis star rating summary system. This includes five out of five stars for quality measures and three out of five stars for health inspections. The Montgomery County nursing home neglect attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have found serious deficiencies and safety concerns at this facility that include:
- Failure to Maintain the Dignity and Respect of Individuality of Every Resident In a summary statement of deficiencies dated 07/21/2014, a notation was made by a state surveyor during an annual licensure and certification survey involving the facility’s failure to “maintain a resident’s dignity during care.” The failure involved a resident diagnosed with COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) who requires oxygen at 4 to 5 liters per minute via nasal cannula.An observation of the resident was made near noon on 07/15/2014 “while in the community bathroom, two certified nursing aides (CNAs) or holding [a resident] up in a standing position while [a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)] was putting a dressing on [the resident’s] coccyx.” During the observation, it was noted that the resident “was very weak and was having a difficult time while being in that position where [the Certified Nursing Assistants] were holding her up.” At that time, the resident’s oxygen “was not on. During the procedure, [the resident] stated ‘I can’t breathe’.”The state investigator interviewed the resident in the afternoon of 07/16/2015 and asked “if it bothered her to have the dressing change done in the community bathroom while she was held up” by two certified nursing assistants. The investigator also asked “if it would be more comfortable to have the dressing changed in her room where she could lay down.” The resident responded “yes, it bothers me, but it has to be done. I would be more comfortable in my room.”
- Failure to Provide Complete Incontinence Care to Prevent the Potential of UTIs (Urinary Tract Infections) In a summary statement of deficiencies dated 07/21/2014, a notation was made by a state investigator during an annual licensure and certification survey concerning the facility’s failure to “provide complete incontinence care to prevent the potential for urinary tract infections.” The deficient practice by the nursing staff at Aperion care Litchfield That affected one resident “with a history of urinary tract infections.”The state investigator reviewed the resident’s 05/13/2014 MDS (Minimum Data Set) that documents that the resident “is frequently incontinent of bowel and bladder.” The resident’s 04/20/2015 Nurses Notes documents “a physician’s order for urinalysis, culture, and sensitivity (U/A, C + S).” The identical tests were then reordered again on 05/14/2015.An observation was made of the resident at 11:00 AM on 07/15/2014 who was “taken to the bathroom by [two Certified Nurses’ Aides (CNAs)].” The resident “had been incontinent and soaked through her underwear and slacks.” At that time, one of the Certified Nursing Assistant’s “provided incontinent care to [the resident while seated] on the toilet.”
The CNA “placed wet washcloths in the sink and then used them to wash [the resident’s] buttocks, thighs, and abdominal fold […and] did not place an incontinent brief on [the resident’s] aftercare.” It was noted that the CNA “pulled up the resident’s lack and stated ‘okay, you are all finished, we will get you back out to the dining room now’.” The investigator noted that the actions by the staff member failed to follow the facility’s undated Incontinent Care Policy that states in part:
“Clean/rinse in her/upper thigh areas to remove urine moisture… Using final rinse cloth from back to front wash and rinse perineal area.”
Litchfield Illinois Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
If you suspect your loved one is suffered harm through abuse, neglect or mistreatment while a patient at Aperion Care Litchfield, call the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC law offices. Our Illinois nursing home attorneys can ensure the mistreatment stops immediately.
We urge you to contact our Montgomery County elder abuse law office today at (888) 424-5757 to schedule your no-obligation case evaluation at no charge to you. No upfront fees are required.
For more information on specific Aperion Care Center facilities, please reference the pages below:
- Aperion Care Amboy
- Aperion Care Burbank Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Chicago Heights
- Aperion Care Colfax
- Aperion Care Decatur
- Aperion Care Dolton
- Aperion Care Elgin
- Aperion Care Forest Park
- Aperion Care International
- Aperion Care Jacksonville
- Aperion Care Oak Lawn
- Aperion Care of Evanston
- Aperion Care of Galesburg
- Aperion Care of Hidden Lake
- Aperion Care of Highwood
- Aperion Care of Saint Elmo
- Aperion Care Spring Valley
- Aperion Care Springfield
- Aperion Care Tolleston Park
- Aperion Care Wilmington