In many nursing home environments, gait belts are an effective tool to assist a resident when bathing, lifting, walking, or transferring the individual from their wheelchair to their bed. However, failing to use a gait belt appropriately, or not at all, can lead to serious harm, injury, falling, and broken bones.
Unfortunately, the Long Grove elder abuse attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have represented many nursing home residents who have suffered serious fractures and injuries due to the nursing staff’s lack of using a gait belt.
Safety belts, or gait belts, are used by Certified Nursing Assistants, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and other nursing staff to prevent a fall of a resident who requires assistance.
Typically constructed of a durable cloth or canvas material, the strap is designed to be applied around the resident’s waist for additional support while walking next to or behind the resident. Any failure of the nursing staff to use an appropriate gait belt while providing resident assistance might be a legitimate cause to file a claim or lawsuit stating nursing home neglect or abuse.
Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center
Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is a 246-certified bed for-profit Medicaid/Medicare-participating facility providing nursing services to residents of Long Grove and Lake County, Illinois.
The facility is located at:
2308 Old Hicks Road
Long Grove, Illinois 60047
In addition to offering transitional care, short rehabilitation, and post-acute services, Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center provide orthopedic, cardiac, neurological, and pulmonary services along with physical, speech, and occupational therapies.
Long Grove Nursing Home Resident Safety Concerns
Throughout the year, both the federal government and the state of Illinois routinely update their nursing facility databases in an effort to reflect the most current information on opened investigations, health violations, and safety concerns, and filed complaints of homes nationwide. The information is then posted to a variety of websites including Medicare.gov through their comparative star rating summary system.
Currently, Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center maintain an overall three out of five available star rating compared with other facilities in the United States.
This includes five out of five stars for quality measures and two out of five stars for both staffing issues and health concerns. However, our Long Grove nursing home neglect attorneys have found numerous safety concerns involving this facility.
Two of those concerns include:
- Failure to Provide Necessary Services and Care to a Resident to Maintain Their Highest Level of Well-BeingIn a summary statement of deficiencies dated 07/09/2015, a complaint investigation against the facility was opened for its failure to “consistently and accurately assess a resident’s change in condition.” In addition, the state investigator also noted the facility’s failure “to monitor [the] resident’s need for pain interventions.”The failure was first recognized when reviewing the resident’s 06/08/2015 Nurse’s Notes revealing the resident “is alert and oriented with confusion and needed a two-person assist. The resident’s 06/16/2015 Nursing Post-Occurrence documentation revealed that a Certified Nursing Assistant notified a facility Registered Nurse after lunch on 06/14/2015 that the resident “had a left upper arm noted, swelling with mild [tenderness] no redness or bruise noted with a touch [… but] feels like water crackles.” The notation indicates that the resident “did not verbalize pain.”In response to the nurse’s documentation, the facility Nurse Practitioner ordered a Venus Doppler on the left arm of the resident on 06/14/2015. The results of the Venus Doppler test “came with normal results but the resident’s symptoms were getting worse when the [Registered Nurse saw the resident two days later].” At this point, the resident “complained of pain with movement on the left arm […and] had good flexion and extension on the elbow […and] had limited abduction and abduction on the left arm. In response, the Nurse Practitioner ordered a STAT x-ray on the left shoulder and arm with results revealing the resident suffered a fracture of the mid-humorous and was sent to the hospital for further treatment.
- Failure to Provide Residents an Environment Free of Accident Hazards and Risks and Provide Adequate Supervision to Prevent an Avoidable Accident Causing Actual Harm In the same summary statement of deficiencies dated 06/09/2015, the state investigator also noted the failure of the facility “to transfer a resident according to the facility’s policies and [their failure] to follow the plan of care.” This failure was first noted on 07/01/2015 when a Certified Nursing Assistant provided transfer assistance to a resident. Approximately 30 minutes after the transfer the Certified Nursing Assistant noticed a bump on the resident’s left upper arm.As a part of the in-house investigation, the Nurse Practitioner asked the Certified Nurse Assistant “if they used a gait belt when they transferred [the resident]. One Aide responded that “I cannot remember; I didn’t have my gait belt at that time. I was just there to assist with bath and care.”The state investigator noted that the actions of the nursing staff at Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center violated the facility’s May 2010 policy and procedure on transfer techniques that reads in part: “Place gait belt around the resident’s waist unless contraindicated.” At the time of the transfer, the nurses “were not using a gait belt, assisting in the transfer but not following the facility’s resident transfer policy.”
Long Grove Illinois Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
If your loved one is suffered an injury or neglect or abuse in any nursing facility in Illinois including Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can provide immediate legal intervention.
We encourage you to contact our Lake County elder abuse law firm today to schedule a no-obligation free consultation. We handle all nursing home abuse cases on contingency to avoid the need of paying an upfront fee.
For more information on specific Alden facilities, please reference the pages below:
- Alden Debes Alma Nelson Rehab and Health Care Center
- Alden Des Plaines Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Alden Estates of Barrington
- Alden Estates of Evanston
- Alden Estates of Naperville
- Alden Estates of Shorewood
- Alden Estates of Skokie
- Alden Lakeland Rehab and Healthcare Center
- Alden Lincoln Park Rehab & Healthcare Center
- Alden Meadow Park Health Care Center
- Alden North Shore Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Northmoor Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden of Waterford
- Alden Orland Park Rehab & HCC
- Alden Park Strathmoor Rehabilitation & Health
- Alden Poplar Creek Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Princeton Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Terrace of McHenry Rehab and Health Care Center
- Alden Town Manor Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Alden Valley Ridge Rehabilitation and Health
- Alden Village Health Facility
- Alden Village North
- Alden Wentworth Rehab & Healthcare Center