Over 85 million airline passengers came through the O'Hare and Midway Chicago airports in 2011, making it one of the busiest places for foot traffic in Chicago. These weary travelers either coming to or leaving Chicago and those just passing through are often relieved to be in the relative safety of the airport versus soaring miles above the earth in a plane. However, the risk of being injured in the airport can be higher than in the aircraft, especially when it comes to slip and fall accidents.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC appreciates the frustration and disappointment a person faces when they are injured in a trip and fall accident at O'Hare or Midway airport. Our team is committed to ensuring that all responsible parties are held entirely liable for your injuries. In many Chicago trip and fall cases, we pursue claims against the property owners-- but also the maintenance company and other vendors who may have played a role in allowing the negligent condition to exist. Contact us for a free case review of your situation and an explanation of your rights under Illinois law.
Slip & Fall Hazards In Chicago Airports
With over 220 terminal gates and located on over 847 acres, the O'Hare and Midway airports have plenty of places inside and outside of the facilities to slip and fall. For visitors, most slippery areas are located inside the terminal with over 165,000 square feet in just concession areas. All these areas must be maintained to give workers and visitors in the airport a safe passageway while walking from one area to another. Some of the common problems that can cause a slip or fall in these airports are:
- Poorly maintained flooring and carpet
- Slippery waxed or wet floors
- Poor lighting in bathrooms and hallways
- Uneven airplane ramps
- Handrails that are broken or loose
- Trip hazards entering or exiting elevators and escalators
- Icy sidewalks and side streets as well as runway when boarding
Serious Slip & Fall Injuries That Are Commonly Encountered At Airports By Commuters
Falls are one of the most common and also deadliest types of accidents that can happen outside of a moving vehicle. Falls cause millions of emergency room visits and thousands of deaths. Elderly persons are especially at risk, with 2.3 million seeking medical attention and over 21,000 deaths caused by falls in 2010 alone. These slips and falls can cause serious injuries that lead to significant medical expenses, loss of wages, ongoing medical requirements and anguish for the victim. Some injuries that are commonly associated with falls include:
- Traumatic brain injury. Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries. 46% of brain injury deaths are due to falls.
- Fractures. Broken hands, arms, legs, hips, and feet are common in fall accidents. Over 95% of elderly seniors with broken hips were injured by falls.
- Lacerations and contusions. Cuts and bruises are one of the most common injuries in falls. Although not always severe, some can cause nerve damage and other long-lasting effects such as scarring.
Liability In Chicago Airport Slip & Fall Accidents
Everyone is prone to a slip now and then, however tripping over your own feet versus a loose piece of carpeting or floorboard is very different when it comes to liability. If negligence results from a fall because of inaction, the property owner may be liable to pay for expenses for any injuries caused by the fall. Slips and falls caused by negligence in Chicago airports could result in a personal injury claim or lawsuit to retrieve compensation for:
- Medical expenses. These bills include the emergency room visit, hospitalizations, ongoing medical treatments and other medical costs.
- Lost wages. If the injury results in loss of time at work or wages, this may be recouped from an injury claim or lawsuit against the responsible property owner.
- Pain and suffering. In some cases, victims may receive compensation for pain and suffering in severe injuries or wrongful death due to a fall injury at a Chicago airport.
Although most airport slip and fall injuries due to negligence are resolved with insurance settlements, it is crucial to have legal representation to ensure that the victim is adequately compensated for all their damages and expenses. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has helped visitors to Chicago's O'Hare and Midway airports recover compensation for their injuries from the operator, cleaning companies and individual vendors at the airport.
Before you speak with an insurance carrier or other entity about your accident, talk with a law firm who has experience handling these cases without any cost or obligation on your end. As with all of our personal injury cases, we only receive a legal fee when there is a recovery for you.
Get the latest information on Chicago airport safety here: