Illinois Charter Bus Accident Lawyers
Many groups and organizations in Illinois use charter buses for excursions to events and activities. These large buses are an excellent way for a large group to travel and enjoy the trip along with their destination.
While buses are a safe mode of transportation, there are always exceptions. Passengers can be injured when charter bus companies are not diligent in performing needed maintenance on their buses or hire drivers that are negligent in their duties. When accidents occur on a charter bus trip, not only is a fun event ruined, but the passengers might be injured and suffer financially costly losses.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is committed to providing uncompromising legal representation for people injured in Illinois charter bus accidents. If you or your loved one was a passenger or motorist involved in a charter bus crash in Illinois, our Chicago bus accident law firm is here to assist. As with all our injury cases, we only charge a legal fee when there is a financial recovery for you. Complete our contact form for a free review of your case.
Charter Bus Regulations
The bus charters industry is lumped together with all motor coaches regulated by several state and federal agencies. Nearly a decade ago, President Obama signed the "Motor Coach Enhanced Safety Act of 2012," outlining safety regulations that the industry is expected to meet. The federal agencies' new safety action plan act describes significant concerns that have contributed to motor coach fatalities over ten years.
- Driver Fatigue. Operating the bus while fatigued was the leading cause of fatalities studied in the motorcoach industry,
- Vehicle condition. The condition of the bus is the second-highest contributor to fatality accidents,
- Medical condition. The driver's medical condition was the third-highest factor in fatality accidents involving motor coaches.
This new focus on motorcoach safety was spurred by the fatalities that occurred the year before. There was a total of twenty-eight deaths in eight fatality crashes that brought national attention to the industry and the lack of adherence to safety standards. The year before that, there were 1,044 compliance reviews performed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on motorcoach companies.
Most compliance violations concerned driver records of duty status and hours of service. These statistics correlate with the concern over driver fatigue and medical condition.
Illinois Charter Bus Accident Responsibility to Provide Safe Transportation
When a passenger is injured in a charter bus accident, there may be several parties that could be held responsible for the injury. Depending on the circumstance, an Illinois bus accident law firm representing the injured passenger may look at:
- Bus Charter Company. The common carrier business that owns and operates charter buses is responsible for the maintenance of their vehicles, the hiring of qualified drivers, and meeting all United States government agency regulations. The company must ensure each bus carries adequate insurance coverage.
- Bus driver. The bus company driver may be at fault as well as the company that hired them (driver negligence).
- Other drivers. According to Illinois law, if an accident is the fault of another vehicle, that other driver and not the common carrier bus driver may be liable for broken bones, head injuries, and other serious injuries.
- Defective tour bus equipment. Tire blowouts on the highway are common problems on large buses that cause serious injuries. The bus crash may be caused by a lack of maintenance by the charter company; the company may be liable. However, if the blowout is the result of a manufacturer defect, the tire company's insurance company may be financially responsible.
Lawsuits Against Illinois Charter Bus Companies For Accidents Involving Passengers, Pedestrians & Other Motorists
Most charter buses and school buses lawsuits are extraordinarily complex. Successfully resolving a personal injury claim usually requires experienced Chicago bus accident lawyers who understand the public transportation laws and regulations that govern the industry.
Hiring a Charter Bus Accident Attorney
If you were injured or lost a loved one in a charter bus accident, our attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC invite you to talk with our Chicago injury legal team for a free consultation. Our bus accident attorneys are experienced in handling bus passenger injury litigation and will fight for your right for financial compensation.
Our reputable bus accident lawyers represent bus and car accident victims injured by a chartered bus, school bus, city bus, and other large commercial vehicles. We also accept cases where CTA bus riders are hurt or killed while on a Chicago Transit Authority vehicle.
For additional information on filing a claim against the CTA, a charter company, school district, or other commercial or governmental enterprises, look here.
Information on charter bus rules & regulations: