Charter Bus Accident
When an accident occurs on a charter bus trip, not only is a fun event ruined, but the passengers might be hurt and incur financial losses.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are committed to providing uncompromising legal representation for people hurt in Illinois charter bus accidents.
If you or your loved one was a passenger or motoristinvolved in a hired bus crash in Illinois, our Chicago bus accident lawyers are here to assist. As with all our injury cases, we only charge a legal fee when there is a financial recovery for you.
Contact our law office toll-free at (888) 424-5757 or complete our contact form for a free review of your case. All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Many groups and organizations in Illinois use charter buses for excursions to events and activities. These large buses are an excellent way for a large group to travel and enjoy the trip along with their destination.
While buses are a safe mode of transportation, there are always exceptions. Passengers can be injured when charter bus companies are not diligent in performing needed maintenance on their buses or hire drivers that are negligent in their duties.
Charter Bus Regulations
The bus charter industry is lumped with all motor coaches regulated by several state and federal agencies. A decade ago, President Obama signed the "Motor Coach Enhanced Safety Act of 2012," outlining safety regulations that the industry should meet.
The federal agencies' new safety action plan act describes significant concerns that have contributed to motor coach fatalities over ten years:
- Driver Fatigue: Operating the motorbus while fatigued was the leading cause of fatalities studied in the motorcoach industry
- Vehicle condition: The condition of the bus is the second-highest contributor to fatality accidents
- Medical condition: The driver's medical condition was the third-highest factor in fatality accidents involving motor coaches
This new focus on motorcoach safety was spurred by the fatalities that occurred the year before. There were twenty-eight deaths in eight fatality accidents that brought national attention to the industry and the lack of adherence to safety standards.
The year before that, there were 1,044 compliance reviews performed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on motorcoach companies.
Most compliance violations concerned driver records of duty status and hours of service. These statistics correlate with the concern over driver fatigue and medical condition.
A Bus Driver Involved in a Charter Bus Crash
The charter driver should never get behind the wheel if they are not feeling well or are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case. In 2014, a charter motorbus operator in Texas was involved in a serious crash after falling asleep at the wheel.
The bus was carrying 37 passengers when it crashed into a tree. The operator and two passengers were killed in the accident.
A Charter Bus Company Responsibility to Provide Safe Transportation
When passengers are hurt in hired bus accidents, several parties could be held responsible for the injury. Depending on the circumstance, an Illinois bus accident law firm representing the injured passenger may look at:
- Bus Charter Company: The common carrier business that owns and operates hired buses is responsible for maintaining their vehicles, hiring qualified drivers, and meeting all United States government agency regulations. The company must ensure each motorbus carries adequate insurance coverage.
- Bus driver: The charter bus company driver may be at fault, and the company that hired them (driver negligence).
- Other drivers: According to Illinois law, if an accident is the fault of another vehicle, that other driver and not the common carrier bus driver may be liable for broken bones, head injuries, and other serious injuries.
- Defective tour bus equipment: Tire blowouts on the highway are common problems that cause serious injuries on large buses. The motorbus crash may occur due to a lack of maintenance by the charter bus company; the company may be liable. However, if the blowout results from a manufacturer defect, the tire company's insurance company may be financially responsible.
Lawsuits Against Illinois Charter Bus Companies for Accidents Involving Passengers, Pedestrians & Other Motorists
Most charter buses and school buses lawsuits are extraordinarily complex. Successfully resolving a personal injury claim usually requires experienced Chicago bus accident lawyers who understand the public transportation laws and regulations that govern the industry.
Hiring a Charter Bus Accident Attorney to Resolve an Accident Lawsuit
Were you hurt or lost a loved one in a charter bus accident? Our attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC invite you to schedule a free consultation with our Chicago injury legal team for a free consultation. .
Our reputable bus accident lawyers represent motorbus and car accident victims hurt by chartered buses, school buses, city buses, and other large commercial vehicles. We also accept cases where CTA bus riders are hurt or killed while on a Chicago Transit Authority vehicle.
Contact our law office toll-free at (888) 424-5757 for additional information on filing a claim against the CTA, a charter bus company, a school district, or other commercial or governmental enterprises.
Our accident injury lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, so you don't have to pay us unless we obtain compensation in your case.