The Champaign slip and fall accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are faithful advocates of anyone injured because an employer or property owner failed to take the needed measures to ensure they had access to a safe environment. We know that you have enough to deal with already without the worry of whether you will be able to make ends meet during your physical recovery. This is why we will explore every legal option you have to obtain the compensation you are entitled to receive for the recovery of your medical care, pain, and suffering and out of pocket expenses.
What Causes a Slip and Fall Accident in Champaign?
No one anticipates a slip or fall accident, but they are the most common cause of serious workplace injuries and premises liability incidents. There are many ways that an unsuspecting victim can encounter a trip or fall hazard. Here are the most common causes that we've seen.
- Inclement weather— snow, ice, and rain all pose slip and fall hazards, and property owners need to take appropriate measures to clear ice and snow from parking lots and sidewalks and to make sure that floors are kept dry so that guests so not slip on slick surfaces.
- Defective elevators— falls down elevator shafts are easily preventable by marking off areas that are under maintenance and by performing regular inspections to make sure that elevators are operating safely. When the doors open unexpectedly or are left open during maintenance, it can have devastating consequences.
- Lack of lighting in hallways, entranceways, and staircases can cause possible trip hazards that are responsible for many of the accidents we've seen where lighting is a contributing factor. Property owners have a responsibility to ensure that guests have reasonable access to lighting in hallways and staircases to mitigate these risks.
- The presence of clutter, garbage or debris causes accidents. It is also the property owners' responsibility to keep the grounds orderly so that guests are not exposed to trip hazards when objects block the way.
- The lack of guardrails or poorly maintained guardrails— balconies provide tenants a space to relax and experience the outdoors with the company of others. However, the failure to make sure that railings are secure, braced and adequate can pose serious safety hazards. If someone falls because of a broken or miss guardrail, the property owner can be held to account.
- Poorly maintained sidewalks and parking lots— uneven pavement, potholes and other defects in the paths people take into and out of the building can be the cause of injury. It is vital that property owners be aware of these problems and take action to correct them.
- Workplace injuries— when a workplace hazard or failure of an employer to provide proper safety measures results in an injury, the injured worker may be able to file a lawsuit against the employer on the grounds of negligence.
Champaign Slip and Fall Accidents Can Result in Serious Injuries
While the location and specific details of each accident can impact the type and severity of an injury, it is possible for some slip and fall accidents to change the lives of victims permanently. Here are some of the most common injuries that we encounter when working with clients.
- Trauma to the head or face— striking the head or face may result in internal injuries to the brain which, when undetected, can cause permanent long-term brain damage. Victims may suffer from chronic neurological disorders and lose cognitive function as a result.
- Fractures— broken bones are extremely common for these types of accidents, and it often takes a considerable amount of time before victims can return to work or return to the activities they once enjoyed. Severe fractures may even require extensive medical care and corrective surgery to facilitate recovery.
- Injuries to the back and spine— these injuries can include ruptured or herniated discs, damage to the nerves, or complete paralysis. The cost of caring for someone with paralysis can be in the millions of dollars over a lifetime, and it is difficult to cope with such a dramatic change in the quality of living.
- Death— we have assisted some families in recovering compensation after a fall has resulted in the death of their loved one. When the lack of proper maintenance or safety procedure costs a life, the responsible party needs to be held to justice, and we will always do whatever is in our power to do so.
Learn More about Your Rights with a Free Case Review
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a leading personal injury firm fighting for the rights of those who have been injured in premises liability or workplace negligence accidents. If you have been hurt, we can help you secure the compensation you need to cover your expenses so that you can focus on becoming well again.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award-winning Champaign slip and fall attorneys so that we can explore all of your legal options together and decide how best to proceed with your claim. Should we be unable to secure compensation on your behalf, our services will no cost you anything at all.