Champaign Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
Many motorcyclists in the Champaign area enjoy long leisurely weekends riding through central Illinois over to the Peoria River and back home. The nearly 220-mile round-trip begins in downtown Champaign heading west on Interstate 74 through Bloomington-Normal, Carlock, Goodfield, Deer Creek, and Morton. The halfway point of the trip takes bikers and passengers across the Illinois River into Peoria for a nighttime stay to visit many of the biking bars in the city.
Early the next morning, bikers head just a few miles east back over the Illinois River to turn onto northbound Illinois State Route 24/166 (N. Main Street) to the town of Spring Day for a fun day on the shores of Upper Peoria Lake.
The rural scenic countryside from Champaign to Peoria is mostly flatlands with only a few twists and turns and two-lane blacktop. From summer until late spring, diverse wildlife can be seen in the area, including geese and wild turkeys.
The two-day adventure includes spectacular scenery, shopping malls, flea markets, and antique shops. Bikers and passengers will enjoy access to fast food, fancy dining, small communities, and eating dockside at the river and lake.
Recent Champaign Motorcycle Accidents
The Champaign motorcycle accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC remind bikers to remain aware of hazardous conditions on urban streets and rural roadways. The most recent major deadly motorcycle accidents that occurred in the Champaign area involved:
- In April 2020, first responders were called to a motorcycle accident scene in a rural area just outside Champaign County to airlift the injured biker to the hospital. The accident occurred at the intersection of Highway 17 at County Road 200 East. The single bike rider suffered severe injuries.
- In May 2014, a student from the University of Illinois Urban-Champaign lost his life in a motorcycle crash involving an automobile at the intersection of Lincoln and University avenues just days before his college graduation. The victim was transported to Carle Foundation Hospital but later succumbed to his multiple serious injuries. The biker was hit by a female motorist who had turned left into his oncoming path.
- A severe crash in May 2015 involved the motorcycle crash with an SUV just a few miles east of Urbana. The incident occurred in the rural community at Cottonwood Road on U.S. 150. The 59-year-old Champaign motorcyclist was traveling west on 150 when the driver of the sports utility vehicle turned north in his pathway. Law enforcement ticketed the motor vehicle driver involved in the auto accident for failing to yield when turning left.
- Two fatal motorcycle accidents occurred in the Champaign area in May 2015. A motorcyclist struck a pedestrian near the intersection of Hickory Street and Bradley Avenue in Champaign. The pedestrian was crossing Bradley Avenue when he was hit by the motorcycle and succumbed to his wounds after being transported to the Carle Foundation Hospital.
- The second fatal motorcycle accident in Champaign in May involved a female resident of Mattoon. She lost her life as a motorcycle passenger after the bike collided with the deer in Coles County. First responders transported the 43-year-old Harley Davidson motorcyclist to the Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana for treatment of his wounds. The motorcycle accident occurred at dawn on northbound Interstate 57 at milepost 201. Neither motorcycle riders, including the accident victim of wrongful death, were wearing a helmet.
Statistics maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) revealed that in 2017, over 5100 bikers died in motor vehicle accidents. While the overall number was a decrease of approximately three percent from the previous year, many of these accidents could have been avoided had the biker or motorist remained aware.
Other statistics show that even a small momentary lapse in awareness can result in the fatality of a motorcyclist sharing the roadway.
Hiring an Attorney for a Champaign Motorcycle Crash
If you or a loved one have suffered severe injuries in a Champaign motorcycle accident, it is essential to consider hiring a lawyer to handle your case.
A Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer and the team from Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have years of experience and will take every step necessary to investigate your claim. Our law office will gather evidence, speak to eyewitnesses, take pictures of both vehicles, review medical records, and police reports, and document the skid marks and the position of both vehicles after the accident. Contact us today for an initial consultation, case evaluation, and legal advice!
Our law firm handles motorcycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This agreement ensures that you are only required to pay your legal fees after we negotiate an out of court settlement with the insurance company or receive compensation from your jury trial award. Call our legal team today at (888) 424-5757 to speak with a legal representative about your personal injury case.