Champaign Bicycle Accidents Lawyers
The City of Champaign is a busy college town that is home to a large population of students and young adults who have chosen to save money on transportation by traveling by bicycle. Whenever bicyclists are required to share the road with motorists, there is a risk of injury when careless or distracted drivers do not notice them or respect their rights. The Champaign bicycle accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC routinely assist those who have been injured by negligent motorists and are happy to answer your questions and evaluate your case if you have been injured.
For a free review of your Champaign-Urbana bike accident case, complete our case intake form. You can speak to a lawyer without any cost or obligation about your circumstance. A legal fee will only be charged if there is a financial recovery for you.
It is important for motorists and bicyclists alike to know and abide by the Illinois Rules of the Road, as these laws are instrumental in the prevention of accidents and the serious injuries that result. As a bicyclist, you have the responsibility to obey traffic laws and act safely in order to prevent an accident, and failure to follow the rules can harm your case if you are injured. The following safety rules come from Chapter 11, Article 15 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
- As a bicyclist, you are granted the same rights that the driver of any vehicle receives, but you are also subject to the same laws as those you share the road with.
- Where vehicles would normally signal prior to making a turn, you are required to provide hand signals so that others are aware of your intent to turn.
- Always stay to the right side of the road unless you are approaching an intersection where you plan to make a left turn. Before moving to the left, provide a signal to drivers and make sure that it is safe to move into the turn lane.
- You must yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic and whenever you are entering the street from a driveway, alley or building, you need to stop and let any pedestrians and vehicles pass before you proceed.
- Headlamps and reflective gear are required when you ride at night so that you are visible to traffic.
- You should always ride at a safe speed and never in excess of local speed limits.
- If you are a parent, you may be held responsible for any actions taken by your child which are in violation of traffic laws if it is determined that you knowingly allowed your child to break the law or did not properly educate him or her about the rules of the road.
The line can be blurry when assessing which party is at fault in an accident, so regardless of whether you feel that you have a case, you should always seek the counsel of a qualified attorney following an accident. The Champaign bike accident lawyers of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are well studied in local and state ordinances which can be used to establish your case or prove that the other party contributed to your accident. Medical treatment for bicyclists involved in accidents can become expensive due to the tendency of bicycle accidents to result in more serious injuries. Such injuries include the following.
- Internal bleeding or injuries to internal organs.
- Deep cuts, abrasions and puncture wounds.
- Broken or shattered bones.
- Damage to the neck, spine or back.
- Traumatic brain injuries and neurological disorders.
If it can be proven that your injuries were the result of negligence, you will be entitled to damages which may be used to provide you with the best treatment and rehabilitative care available so that you can focus on your physical recovery without added financial stress. Our Champaign bicycle accident attorneys are able to establish and build your case with the help of a team of specialists in accident reconstruction, medicine and other relevant fields and have successfully secured the maximum amount of compensation the law allows for hundreds of bike accident victims. Contact us now to learn how we can assist you in your own recovery