Central DuPage Hospital is a 361-bed advanced healthcare facility serving the DuPage County community. The hospital is part of Northwestern Medicine that operates four facilities that also includes Northwestern Memorial, Northwestern Lake Forest and Northwestern Delnor. The Central DuPage facility is located at:
- 25 North Winfield Rd.
- Winfield, IL 60190
The hospital provides medical care covered by more than 1000 physicians with extensive training in 90 different specialties including neurology, orthopedics and pediatrics.
In a comparison analysis among other hospitals in the United States, Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital maintains an overall “B+” score, ranking it in the 70th percentile nationwide. This ranking is based on overall patient satisfaction, treatment outcomes and any potential hospital adverse event that could be the result of medical malpractice.
Illinois State Designations
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital maintains five Illinois state designations that include:
The hospital offers Level II prenatal care with extended neonatal capabilities to ensure that pregnant women receive intermediate levels of care and required care to newborns with complex medical issues. Even though the facility does not maintain a neonatal intensive care nursery, it does have a special care nursery managed by a neonatologist with advanced training in providing specialized care to newborns.Trauma Center II
As a Level II Trauma Center, Central DuPage Hospital provides essential emergency services 24 hours every day. The trauma surgeon at the hospital is also the medical director with specialized training to provide high-level care in surgery, anesthesiology, radiology, intensive care and emergency medicine.Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
To maintain the EDAP designation, the facility provides around-the-clock comprehensive emergency services to pediatric patients covered by professionals with specific training in pediatric critical care and emergencies. In addition, the facility follows specific protocols for treating children who are injured, critically ill, abused or need to be transferred to a specialized care center.Pediatric Critical Care Center
The medical center participates in a state approved emergency medical system to provide the community around-the-clock specialty care and critical care services to pediatric patients. Maintaining this designation also requires meeting all EDAP requirements.Magnet Recognition
To maintain a Magnet Recognition designation, Central DuPage Hospital has developed strong nursing leadership by encouraging effective communication and shared decision-making processes throughout the facility. In addition, the designation requires continuous quality improvements in nursing protocols, a commitment to professional growth and using the best nursing practices.
The Illinois Department of Public health maintains reported data on facility-inquired infections occurring at hospitals and medical centers throughout the state. The incident rates of hospital acquired infections at Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital include:
- Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infections (CLABSI) between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 include:
- Infections Developed in the Adult Medical/Surgical Intensive Care Unit – 1 infection incident out of 1395 central-line days.
- Infections Developed in the Neonatal Intensive Care (Level III) – 1 one infection incident out of 1027 central-line days.
- Surgical Site Infections (SSI) between 07/01/2013 and 06/30/2014 Include:
- Infections Developed after a Total Knee Hip Replacement Surgery – 1 infection incident out of 1122 procedures.
- MRSA and CDI Bloodstream Infections between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 Include:
- CDI (Clostridium Difficile Infections) – 1 infection incident out of 104,637 patient days.
- MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) – 62 infection incidents of 91,048 patient days.
Patient Safety Concerns at Central DuPage
In addition to the two incidences where foreign bodies were left in two patients during a procedure at Central DuPage Hospital from 10/01/2013 through 09/30/2014, other serious patient safety concerns at the facility include:
- Unexpected Deaths – 1 unexpected death of 377 patients.
- Blood Clotting (Deep Vein Thrombosis) or Postoperative Lung Embolism – 34 incidents of 6336 patients.
- Abdominal Wall Surgeries Wound Complication – 1 incident of 834 patients.
- Accidental Lacerations and Puncture Wounds – 52 incidents of 17,177 patients.
- Medical Care Associated Collapsed Lung – 3 incidents of 16,620 patients.
- Postoperative Hematomas and Hemorrhages – 24 incidents of 6116 patients.
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure – 42 incidents of 3687 patients.
Winfield, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you, or a loved one, have suffered injuries or harm after being admitted to Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital, it may be the result of medical mistakes, errors, malpractice or abuse. The skilled DuPage medical malpractice attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers work to protect the rights of all patients in medical settings throughout Illinois. We accept Illinois medical malpractice cases, personal injury claims and wrongful death lawsuits on contingency to provide immediate legal representation without the need of paying upfront fees. Contact our law offices today to schedule an appointment to review your case.