Casinos provide exciting entertainment options to adults in the form of gambling, fine dining, floor shows and more. Just like any other business, they can be held liable when patrons are injured due to premises liability accidents or other incidents that impact their health and wellbeing. The Illinois casino accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have the knowledge and experience needed to try these cases and recover the maximum amount of compensation allowed under law. It is important to have access to an attorney with proven experience because casino liability cases may be subject to different rules and laws than traditional injury lawsuits.
Ways Illinois Casino Patrons Can be Injured
Those who visit casinos are far more concerned with having a fun time than the potential perils they may face while in the establishment. In some ways, casino patrons are at an elevated risk due to the nature of the business they are taking part in. Some of the most common causes of accidents and injury our Illinois casino injury lawyers have come across include the following.
- Slips, trips and falls— these accidents are the most common and often result from wet floors, uneven ground, poorly maintained halls and stairways or accidents occurring when entering or exiting shuttle buses.
- Poorly maintained seating— the chairs provided to casino visitors endure a lot of wear and tear because they are used by thousands of individuals every day. It is possible for broken chairs to result in sudden injury and the casino may be responsible if proper maintenance measures were not taken.
- Food poisoning— many visitors enjoy fine dining as part of their casino experience and poor sanitation measures can leave a bad impression days later. In severe cases of food poisoning, victims may need to receive emergency medical treatment and can even die of bacterial infections that have their roots in poorly prepared food.
- Shuttle bus injuries— casinos often offer shuttle bus service to their guests to make it easier to get from parking lots and hotels to where the action is at. The drivers may act negligently while handling luggage or the buses themselves may not be properly maintained. Any injuries that are suffered on a shuttle bus can be looked over for a potential claim.
- Theft and Assault— it is not secret that those who visit casino come to gamble. This means that they are more likely to be carrying considerable amounts of cash when entering the building. If they are lucky enough, they could be leaving with more money than they arrive with, making them targets for thievery and robbery. Casinos need to provide adequate security in order to protect their patrons.
- Hotel room injuries— casinos that offer hotel stays are responsible for whatever injuries are incurred in their rooms. Faulty appliances, exposed electrical cords and poorly maintained facilities can all result in injury.
Potential Difficulty with Casino Accident Lawsuits
Courts in the United States usually favor casino patrons in lawsuits because of the high duty of care they expect from casino operators. Many casinos are not within state or federal jurisdiction, however, and this is why you need to have access to legal representatives with special experience in casino law. Our Illinois casino accident lawyers can help you with the following hurdles.
- The casino is operated on Native American land— the law declares Native American territories as sovereign lands, which means a lawsuit cannot be brought against a casino in one of these territories from a United States court. This does not mean the casino is exempt from liability, however. It just means that the matter must be resolved through a Native American Tribal Council decision.
- The casino is not subject to state or local laws— many casinos are operated offshore— such as riverboat casinos— because state and local governments do not allow them to operate on land. This can make bringing a lawsuit against the casino operator more complicated.
Certain circumstances may increase the complexity of your case, but our attorneys are fully equipped to handle these obstacles and have many years of experience doing so.
What to Do When Injured at an Illinois Casino
Documentation of your accident is the most important means of ensuring that your claim is successful. Always make sure that you collect whatever evidence you can, whether it is video, photographs or statements from witnesses who can corroborate your claims. You should also ask for help the moment you are injured and allow casino staff members to do whatever they can to assist you. If you require medical treatment, it is important to obtain all of the records that are created in the wake of your injury and recovery.
From the arrival of paramedics to your admittance into a hospital to your discharge, descriptive records of your injuries and actions are kept from the beginning to the end. Make sure that you take whatever medical advice you are given, accept treatment and ask for copies of all medical documents. This alone will ensure the greatest chance of a successful claim and help your attorney collect the maximum amount of compensation allowed on your behalf.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is a leading personal injury law firm that protects the rights and interests of all whose injuries were the result of negligent and reckless actions. If you were injured during a casino stay, contact us to arrange a risk free consultation with one of our award winning Illinois casino accident attorneys so that we can collect all of the information we need to perform a thorough evaluation of your case and review your legal options with you. We will only collect a legal fee when we are able to secure damages on your behalf and our services will be free if we fail to do so.