Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
No one ever expects to be in a car accident. It can happen at any time without warning. Most car accidents in Chicago, IL, result from driver negligence or recklessness; however, other factors can contribute to a car crash.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, are legal advocates for our clients and have obtained over $250 million on their behalf.
Did you suffer bodily injury in a car accident? If so, knowing your legal rights and options for car accidents is essential. Call a Chicago car accident lawyer today at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today for immediate legal advice and schedule a free consultation.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team regarding your car accident remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC: Fighting for Car Accident Victims And Their Rights
The number of car accidents in America is staggering, and you can't prevent impaired drivers from causing damage. But what you can do is regain control of your life after car accidents occur.
The consequences are devastating, with severe loss and damage suffered by victims. Accident victims often sustain serious injuries, with thousands of fatalities in preventable car crashes every year. Property is destroyed that is often irreplaceable without legal intervention.
Contacting a car accident lawyer is the first step to recovery. We will safeguard your rights, seek fair compensation, and ultimately assist you in getting your life back on track.
Handling A Car Accident Claim Without Legal Representation from A Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
Within the first few days following a car accident, the other motorist's insurer will likely contact you regarding your car accident claim. They will try to:
- Determine who the at-fault party is
- Discuss in detail how the car accident occurred
Our personal injury law firm often advises potential clients to watch what they say during the call. Insurance claim adjusters are trained with proven tactics to get people to admit fault.
Often, they ask leading questions that are difficult to answer without implicating the individual as though they are responsible for the accident that occurred.
If you choose to have a conversation without representation of an auto accident attorney, only give basic details of the events.
Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage
By law, all drivers operating motor vehicles in Illinois carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This coverage protects drivers and their passengers if they are involved in a car accident with a driver who does not have automobile liability insurance.
Drivers and passengers involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist can file car accident claims with their uninsured motorist coverage.
The injured driver's insurance carrier will investigate the accident and will typically try to settle the auto insurance claim quickly and for less than the policy limits.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage
If you are injured in an uninsured motorist accident, you should speak to an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC attorneys have years of experience representing uninsured motorists' car crash victims.
A Chicago car accident lawyer from our law office can assist you in recovering the fair compensation you deserve. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced car accident injury lawyer and determine your legal options.
Each car accident lawyer works on a contingency fee basis, so you don't have to pay us unless we recover compensation. .
How The Insurance Company Typically Handles a Car Accident Claim
The moment the insurance companies' drivers involved in a car accident are informed of the crash, they dispatch insurance adjusters to the scene. The adjusters will investigate the accident and develop a theory about who caused the crash.
The insurance company will typically try to settle the claim quickly and within the policy limits. They are a business, too, and aim to avoid paying more money than necessary on the claim.
Never Accept the First Settlement Offer
Insurers use various tactics to lowball the car accident settlement, hoping the injured victims accept the offer before they understand:
- The extent of their damages
- The severity of their car accident injuries
- The long-term impact the accident will have on their life
An experienced Chicago car accident lawyer fighting for your rights is crucial when dealing with the insurance company.
Contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, the injury lawyers with years of experience dealing with insurance companies and getting our clients the best possible settlement.
What We Will Do for You To Ensure Maximum Compensation
Our legal practice will determine your claim's value through a comprehensive case review to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
We work on a contingency fee, so you only have to pay us for our fees if we recover compensation.
Identify All Defendants
Your lawyer might identify multiple defendants to add to your case's legal claim or lawsuit, such as -
- Other at-fault drivers
- The vehicle manufacturer
- The roadway designer or maintainer
- The municipality
Our legal practice will collect all of the evidence needed to support your case, including -
- Photos of the crash scene
- Pictures of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Video footage of the accident (if available)
Negotiate A Settlement With The Insurance Company
Our legal practice will negotiate a fair and full settlement with the insurance company on your behalf. We have years of experience negotiating with insurers and getting our clients the best possible settlement.
It might take multiple negotiation settlement meetings to resolve a personal injury claim, especially if multiple defendants are involved in the crash.
File a Car Accident Lawsuit
Our law firms will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf when enough evidence is available. A lawsuit will allow us to take the defendant's insurer to court and fight for a fair trial.
Submitting a claim through our law firms will let the insurance company know that you have an experienced and aggressive law firm fighting for your rights.
In addition, the representation could result in a better settlement offer from the insurance company.
Workers' Compensation Benefits for A Motor Vehicle Accident
Were you injured in a car wreck while on company time, driving your vehicle, or theirs?
If so, we will carefully examine the circumstances of your case to determine if any other liens, workers' compensation benefits, or health care is available to help you recover damages.
By Illinois law, your employer must carry workers' compensation insurance to pay for any medical bills and lost income if you are injured. This insurance coverage might include any damages generated while working, on your way to work, or driving a company vehicle.
However, there is a strict statute of limitations on filing for workers' compensation benefits. Speak to a Chicago car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
The Financial Compensation You Should Expect After Your Chicago Car Accident
Suffering severe injuries, facing high auto repair bills, or losing a loved one in a car accident can be financially devastating, and unfortunately, you might not know where to turn for help.
Our law firm has helped thousands of Illinoisans and Chicagoans, and we can help you. We will fight to get you the fair and total compensation you deserve to cover all your accident-related expenses (including future medical costs).
You can expect to receive compensation that covers -
- Medical bills: Nearly all moderate to severe car accidents result in enormous medical costs that include hospital bills, surgical care, counseling, physical therapy, rehabilitation, assisted devices, prescription drugs, emergency medical personnel treatment, and ongoing care (future medical expenses).
- Loss of income: Many car and truck accidents leave injured victims unable to return to work or reduce their future earning capacity either temporarily or permanently.
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional harm you experience from a car accident can be significant.
- Property damage: If any personal property or real estate was damaged in the accident, you could file a claim to recover the cost to repair or replace the item or structure.
- Punitive damages: If the at-fault driver's actions were particularly reckless or malicious, you might be able to recover additional money to punish the at-fault party.
If you have been injured in a Chicago car accident, do not hesitate to contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC for immediate legal assistance with your motor vehicle accident case.
Chicago Car Accident Lawyer Cases
For years, each personal injury attorney at our law office has handled car crash cases involving single vehicles, multiple vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, commercial trucks, and more.
The major types of car accidents we accept include:
- Fatal crashes (wrongful death claims)
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Side-impact collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents
- Uber and Lyft crashes
- Taxi accidents
- Rental car crashes
- Night driving crashes
- Teenage driver accidents
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists
- Commercial truck accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car and pedestrian accidents
Our Chicago auto accident attorneys are here to help you and your family member file a personal injury lawsuit to recover the just compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.
Car Accident Victims in Hit-and-Run Cases
Hit-and-run accidents are all too common where the at-fault driver responsible for causing the crash flees the crash scene. Fortunately, you are likely still covered under your insurance policy to pay for all non-economic and economic damages associated with a hit-and-run crash.
Under Illinois law, insurance companies must provide uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) insurance coverage if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
This requirement means you can still recover economic damages from your policy up to your coverage limits even if the at-fault driver is never apprehended.
Our Chicago car accident attorneys can help you file a UM claim and negotiate with your auto insurer to get your compensation.
We have successfully represented hit-and-run victims in court against their insurance companies and recovered millions of dollars in economic damages for our plaintiff's injuries. Let our car accident attorneys help you too.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
Thousands of pedestrians are killed or injured in auto accidents each year. Many of these accidents could be prevented if drivers exercised caution around pedestrians.
If you are a pedestrian injured in an accident, you should contact experienced auto accident lawyers. You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Bike accident statistics include:
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists account for almost half of all traffic fatalities in the United States.
- The number of bicyclist and pedestrian fatalities has increased from 5,376 in 2015 to 7,468 in 2020. This rate is a significant increase of 41%.
- In Chicago, there were 97 pedestrian fatalities in 2019. This rate is a significant increase from the 73 pedestrian fatalities in 2018.
- Bicyclist fatalities have also increased from 8 in 2013 to 19 in 2019. This statistic reveals a significant increase of 138%.
Common Injuries in Chicago Automobile Crashes
Even a minor injury can leave the victim with life-changing harm, requiring adjustments in daily life. Our Chicago, Illinois, injury attorneys have handled many cases where our clients have suffered injuries after the crash, including:
- Whiplash: The quick thrust of a collision can whip the head and neck, often causing a serious injury with pain and stiffness in the cervical spine.
- Concussion: A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and headache.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to paralysis or loss of mobility in the limbs.
- Traumatic brain injury: A hard blow to the head can cause the brain to collide with the skull, leading to swelling and potential damage.
- Puncture wounds: Any sharp object during the collision can puncture the skin, skull, internal organs, muscles, and even bone.
- Chest Injury: A chest injury can leave the car accident victim with difficulty breathing, chest pain, catastrophic injury, and even death.
- Eye Injury: Eye injuries can cause blindness and even permanent vision loss.
- Foot and knee injuries: The driver and front-seat passengers are highly susceptible to foot and knee injuries during a head-on collision or side-impact crash.
- Cuts and lacerations: The shattered glass from the windshield or side windows can leave the car accident victim with a serious injury, including a deep cut and facial laceration leaving deformity, scar tissue, or nerve damage.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you should contact an experienced injury lawyer right away. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Our trial lawyers have years of experience handling car accident cases and know how to get you the compensation you deserve.
Determining Liability for Your Vehicle Accident
Identifying all parties involved in a collision requires intense and time-consuming investigative work. Our legal team will hire accident reconstruction experts to evaluate what happened and determine who caused the wreck.
Many Chicago, IL auto accident cases we handled and resolved involve:
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal. Even though there are laws to protect against drunk driving, many of our clients were severely hurt or killed due to someone else's negligence while impaired behind the wheel.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who do not yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk or stop for a stop sign can be held liable for any injuries the pedestrian sustains.
- Distracted driving: Drivers talking on the phone, texting, eating, or adjusting the radio can be held responsible for any collisions they cause.
- Illegal lane changes: Swerving in and out of lanes can be extremely dangerous, especially if done at high speeds.
- Running stop signs or red lights: Drivers who run stop signs or red lights are often in a hurry and end up causing serious collisions.
- Speeding: Driving too fast for the conditions is one of the leading causes of automobile accidents.
- Reckless driving: When a driver dangerously operates a vehicle, they can be charged with reckless driving.
- Hitting objects on the road: If a driver hits a pothole, debris in the road, or another vehicle, they can be liable for any damages.
- Faulty brakes or bald tires: A vehicle with defective brakes or bald tires is a hazard on the road, and the driver can be held liable for car accidents.
- Defective car parts: The manufacturer can be liable for damages if a car part is defective and causes a crash.
- Road rage: When one driver becomes angry and lashes out at another driver, it can lead to dangerous driving behavior and serious accidents.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, our civil law team can help you identify all liable parties and get you the compensation you deserve.
Catastrophic Car Accidents Involving Commercial Trucks
The sheer size and weight of a fully loaded semi-tractor trailer traveling at any speed can cause severe injuries and death when hitting a passenger vehicle.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2016, 1,921 crashes involved commercial trucks in Illinois. Of those crashes, 104 were fatal crashes, and 1,817 resulted in injuries.
Many of these crashes involved colliding with other drivers stopped at a red light or turning left in front of the truck.
The Illinois Statute of Limitations
The Illinois state legislature has enacted a statute of limitations on filing personal injury cases. According to the law (735 ILCS 5/13-202) regarding personal injury claims, victims with damages can file a Chicago car accident claim within two years from the date of the car accident.
If you do not file a car accident lawsuit before the two-year deadline, you will lose your right to pursue any legal action. However, extenuating circumstances may allow you to file past the deadline. Contact an experienced car accident attorney to discuss your options.
This time limit applies to all Chicago, IL, car accident lawsuits.
The Accident Was Not My Fault! What Do I Do Now?
If the car accident was not your fault, you should contact an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. The car accident attorney can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
You may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. The Chicago car accident attorney will negotiate with the insurer on your behalf and get you the best possible settlement.
If the defendant's insurer does not offer a fair settlement, the attorney can file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf and take the case to trial.
Speaking to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident is essential to receive legal counsel and discuss your options.
Proving Your Case
Under civil tort law, you must prove what happened to settle your claim or win your car accident case at trial. You'll need to prove the four elements of civil law, including -
- The individual or entity at fault for the accident had a duty to ensure your safety.
- The breach of their duty led to your severe injury.
- The accident resulted in injuries and damages.
- You can prove your damages in court if necessary. You will need evidence to support your car accident case, including eyewitness testimony, medical bills and treatment records, cell phone records (if distracted driving is suspected), and photographs.
Car Accidents FAQs
Our attorneys understand that many families have unanswered questions about their Chicago car accident cases and negotiating with insurance companies to resolve a compensation claim.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
The initial steps you take immediately after a car accident happened could make the difference between life and death. While your adrenaline flows within the first few moments, it's essential to keep calm and check your health and the conditions of others involved in the collision. Next:
- Call 911: If possible, contact local law enforcement to initiate a police response to the accident scene and ensure that emergency medical technicians are on the way.
- Assess your health: When confused and dazed, you may believe you are not injured. However, the adrenaline in your bloodstream might be masking serious injuries.
- Assess the condition of others: If you can move, check on the well-being of your passengers and any other motorists or pedestrians involved in the accident.
- Exchange information: Once you have ensured that everyone is safe and has received medical attention, it is time to gather information. You will need the names, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver involved in the accident. You should also take photos of the damage to all vehicles and any visible injuries.
- File a report: Depending on the accident's severity, you may need to file a police report. If there is significant property damage or injury, it is always best to avoid caution and contact law enforcement.
After you have taken care of the immediate aftermath of the accident, there are a few follow-up tasks you should do to protect your interests.
- Receive medical attention: Get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. They will be able to properly assess any injuries you may have sustained and provide you with the necessary treatment.
- Contact your own insurance company: Reporting what happened with an adjuster with your own insurance company could help you get your damages covered, including vehicle repair costs and out-of-pocket expenses.
- File an insurance claim: Your next step should be to contact the insurance company and file a claim. Be sure to have all of the required documentation, such as photos and police reports, ready to submit.
- Hire an attorney: If the accident is serious or you are having trouble getting the insurance adjuster to cooperate, you may need to hire an attorney. An experienced car accident lawyer will be able to help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
How Much Is My Car Accident Injury Worth in A Compensation Claim?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The value of your claim will depend on the severity of your car accident injuries, the amount of medical treatment you need, including future medical bills, and the amount of time you are unable to work.
You may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact accident lawyers to discuss your case and estimate what your claim is worth.
What Happens If the Other Driver In My Accident Was Uninsured?
If the other driver in your accident was uninsured, you might still be able to file a claim against your own auto insurer. Your insurer will investigate the accident and may decide to cover your damages.
However, speaking with a car accident attorney to discuss your options to hold the other driver accountable is essential.
What Do I Do If the Other Driver's Auto Insurance Company Denied My Car Accident Claim?
If the other party's auto insurer denies liability in your car crash, you may need to file a car accident lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve. Speaking with an attorney as soon as possible is crucial to discuss your options.
An attorney working on your behalf may be able to help you resolve your car accident case by filing with your insurer using uninsured or underinsured coverage. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Is It Essential to Hire Car Accident Lawyers To Handle My Auto Accident Case?
An attorney can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve. For example, you may be entitled to damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The car accident attorney will negotiate with the auto insurance company on your behalf and get you the best possible settlement. However, if the insurer does not offer a fair settlement, the attorney can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf and go to court.
How Do Insurance Companies Decide Who Is at Fault?
Every driver's insurance company has unique rules when assigning fault, though most will make a liability call based on the following elements:
- How congested traffic was during the collision
- Were there any sudden or rapid movements when the crash occurred
- The driver's degree of care while driving
- Speed and other road conditions
The insurance carrier will use current guidelines to determine liability if there is no evidence that one driver failed to maintain reasonable control over their vehicle (i.e., brake failure).
These guidelines might include identifying any liability against -
- The person who ran a red light
- Whether both drivers followed traffic laws
- If one driver entered from an uncontrolled intersection with reduced visibility
- The driver that had the green light
Contact A Car Accident Lawyer to Resolve Your Compensation Claim
Did your loved one suffer serious or fatal injuries in a car crash? If so, contact our Chicago car accident lawyers at (888) 424-5757 or use the contact form as soon as possible, who can help protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Speak with a Chicago car accident lawyer representing clients throughout Chicago and surrounding areas at our law office. Claims we litigate for clients include medical malpractice, product liability, construction accidents, nursing home abuse, etc.
Contingency Fee Agreement
The attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, accept all serious injury claims and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement ensures our clients have legal representation without paying any upfront out-of-pocket expenses.
Our law firm advances all expenses in resolving a car accident claim and gets paid only when negotiating a settlement or winning a jury trial award. Our "No-Win/No-Fee" Guarantee is simple: We do not get paid if you do not win!
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our law firm remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
- Types of Car Accidents
- Injuries Sustained in Car Accidents
- Causes of Car Accidents
- Illinois Law
- Car Accident Injury FAQ’s
- Typical Car Accident Settlement Amounts
- Auto Insurance Claim Lawyer
- Illinois DMV Locations for Drivers Licenses
- How to Get a Chicago Police Report After an Accident
- Lyft Car Accident
- Car Insurance Bodily Injury Claim Disputes
- Chicago Uninsured (UM) and Under-Insured Motorist (UIM) Claim Lawyer
- Chicago Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
- Out Of State Residents Injured in Illinois Auto Accidents
- How to Recover Damages From a Car Accident
- Holiday Auto Accident Statistics
- Illinois Vehicle Accident Statistics
- Chicago Food Delivery Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Reconstruction
- Chicago Side Impact Collision Lawyer
- Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer
- Chicago Running a Stop Sign Accident Lawyer
- Chicago Police Chase Lawyer