Can I Still Pursue an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Claim if I Settled With the Other Driver?
No, if you settle with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you would likely be unable to pursue a claim against an insurance company.
How Does Settling Affect My Chances At Recovery?
Unfortunately, if you settle with an uninsured or underinsured driver this would likely preclude you from pursuing a claim against an insurance company. Often times the language of the settlement with that driver precludes you from going after any other recovery related to that incident. However, it largely depends on the actual language of your release, policy, or agreement. A skilled and careful attorney could set up a settlement with the other driver without foreclosing alternative recovery.
What Should I Do Prior To Settling With The Other Driver?
Before settling your claim with an uninsured or underinsured driver, you should do a few things. Of course, you should do all of these things in coordination with your lawyer. First, conduct an exhaustive medical examination. This should ensure that you know exactly the toll of the incident on your health. Second, with your employer, calculate total loss of income due to the event. Similarly, take some time to carefully review all of the expenses that the accident created. Finally, measure any intangible side effects that the affair created.
Doing these things will guarantee that you accurately value the measure of the loss that the crash caused you. It will negate the need to bring another claim or lawsuit. Also, completing this process with an experienced attorney will make it even more worthwhile.
Want To Know More About Your Uninsured Motorist Claim?
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can help you figure out who you can and should bring a claim against after a motor vehicle accident. We can also help you in court on contingency which means we won't charge you if we're unsuccessful. To learn more about what your recovery could look like after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today.
For additional information see the following pages:
- Are There Any Illinois Laws That Address Uninsured Motorist Accidents?
- Can I Just File A Claim With My Insurance Company Instead Of Going to The Other Party?
- Can I Pursue An Uninsured Motorist Claim Even If I Was Driving Someone Else?
- Can I Stack Insurance Policies On Top Of Each Other?
- Do I Have An Uninsured Motorist Claim?
- Do I Have to File My Uninsured Motorist Claim by A Certain Time?
- Do I Have to Sue The Underinsured Motorist's Insurance Company?
- Do I Need to Give The Insurance Company Any Information?
- How Can Rosenfeld Injury Attorneys Help Me If I Have Been Injured by An Uninsured Motorist In Illinois?
- How do I Dispute What The Insurance Company Says My Claim Is Worth?
- What Are The Facts About Uninsured Drivers?
- What Are The Minimum Auto Liability Insurance Requirements In Illinois?
- What Compensation Is Available For My Uninsured Motorist Claim?
- What Happens If The Uninsured Motorist Does Not Pay Damages Awarded by A Court?
- What Have Other Plaintiffs With Uninsured Motorist Claims Recovered In Illinois?