Can I Recover Compensation for a Dog Attack Even if it did Not Bite me?
Yes. Illinois law allows victims to recover for their injuries when dogs attack them but do not bite them. In fact, the law has a broad view of what injuries count in dog attack cases. Therefore, it is important to speak with an attorney to see if your damages can be considered in a lawsuit.
When Exactly Can I Recover In An Illinois Dog Bite Case?
In any Illinois dog bite lawsuit, your focus should be on proving the essential elements of your claim. These generally include:
- You had a legal right to be where you were when the bite or attack occurred
- You were acting peacefully
- You did not provoke the dog
- The dog injured you, and
- The defendant is the dog's owner
What Exactly Can I Recover For In An Illinois Dog Bite Case?
If you are injured by a dog in Illinois, then you could achieve recovery for the injuries that result assuming you were legally on the property and did not provoke the animal. But what can you recover in an Illinois dog bite case?
First, you can receive financial compensation for the costs that the incident imposed. These include things like medical bills and lost wages, to name a few. Second, you can get awarded for intangible manner in which the attack changed you. For instance, you might suffer scars, long-term pain, and even disability because of the aggressive dog. All of these items are recoverable in an Illinois dog bite lawsuit. Third, you obtain punitive damages if the owner's conduct was outrageous or extreme. An example where punitive damages might be warranted in this instance would be if the owner encouraged the bite or attack. Fourth, and finally, if the dog actually kills someone, then the family could pursue wrongful death damages against the owner for the costs and pain that the loss created in their lives.
Still Considering A Lawsuit For An Illinois Dog Attack?
Don't wait! Time can make all the difference in your Illinois dog bite or attack case. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is devoted to recovering the compensation that victims deserve under the law. It is our passion. Let us put it to work for you. We can even arrange a contingency-fee agreement so that you don't need to spend a nickel unless and until you are happy with the jury or settlement amount. That is our guarantee. Contact our offices and someone from Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC will happily speak with you about obtaining the recovery that you deserve.
For additional information see the following pages:
- Can Hospitals And Physicians Put a Medical Lien On Dog Bite Cases?
- Can I Sue a Landlord Or Property Management Company if I Am Bit by a Dog?
- What are the Most Common Types of Dogs to Attack?
- How Much is my Dog Bite Case Worth?
- What Compensation Can I Receive if I Am Scarred by Dog Bite?
- What Must I Prove to Win a Dog Bite Injury Case in Illinois?
- When Should I File a Lawsuit if I Was Bit by a Dog?
- When Should I Get a Lawyer After I Am Bit by a Dog?
- Who Pays for a Settlement in Chicago Dog Bite Cases?