Yes, as long as you had permission to use the vehicle, you can still bring a claim against the other motorist if he or she was uninsured.
Bringing A Claim For Recovery If You Were In Someone Else's Car
Yes, in most instances you can still bring an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim even if you were driving someone else's vehicle. As long as you had proper permission to operate the car you can still pursue a claim against your carrier if it has more coverage than the policy governing the car itself. The issue is which has more.
Who Can I Bring A Claim Against After An Accident With An Uninsured Motorist?
In the aftermath of an automobile or other motor vehicle accident, it can be quite hard to figure out who is responsible for your claims and injuries or even if you are allowed to bring a lawsuit at all. As mentioned above, you are entitled to bring suit against an uninsured motorist even if you were operating someone else's vehicle. However, this doesn't answer who you should. To answer that question, look at this list of common places for recovery after this kind of incident:
- The other driver;
- The other driver's employer;
- The other driver's insurance carrier; or
- Your own insurance carrier.
To understand who is liable for your damages, contact our offices. We can help you target the best sources of recovery after an accident with an uninsured driver.
Worried That You Might Not Be Able To Recover After An Automobile Accident?
The Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can make sure that you recover under the law even if you were driving someone else's vehicle. Illinois does not preclude you from doing that assuming that your case fits a few parameters. To learn about what you need to do in order to get relief after an accident with an uninsured motorist, call Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today.
For additional information see the following pages:
- Are There Any Illinois Laws That Address Uninsured Motorist Accidents?
- Can I Just File A Claim With My Insurance Company Instead Of Going to The Other Party?
- Can I Stack Insurance Policies On Top Of Each Other?
- Can I Still Pursue An Uninsured Or Underinsured Motorist Claim If I Settled With The Other Driver?
- Do I Have An Uninsured Motorist Claim?
- Do I Have to File My Uninsured Motorist Claim by A Certain Time?
- Do I Have to Sue The Underinsured Motorist's Insurance Company?
- Do I Need to Give The Insurance Company Any Information?
- How Can Rosenfeld Injury Attorneys Help Me If I Have Been Injured by An Uninsured Motorist In Illinois?
- How do I Dispute What The Insurance Company Says My Claim Is Worth?
- What Are The Facts About Uninsured Drivers?
- What Are The Minimum Auto Liability Insurance Requirements In Illinois?
- What Compensation Is Available For My Uninsured Motorist Claim?
- What Happens If The Uninsured Motorist Does Not Pay Damages Awarded by A Court?
- What Have Other Plaintiffs With Uninsured Motorist Claims Recovered In Illinois?