Brookdale Senior Living Solutions offers numerous senior living solutions at over 1100 communities in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and South Dakota. In addition, the company provides services at 10 locations throughout Illinois (seven in the Chicago Metropolitan area) including senior living communities, skilled nursing homes and assisted living centers.
Many seniors choose to move into a Brookdale community to have constant access to supportive services including scheduled recreational activities, transportation and meals. The company’s assisted living facilities provide each resident basic support care and daily living assistance including housekeeping, transportation, apartment maintenance and access to social events, recreational activities and meals.
Brookdale’s skilled nursing homes offer constant nursing care with medical staff providing round-the-clock service to help every resident with their psychological, social and physical needs. Licensed doctors supervise the care and therapeutic needs of every resident by developing a health plan that involves physical, occupational or speech therapies along with rehabilitation services when necessary. Other services provided at the facility include:
- Hospice – Brookdale offers hospice services when health care options have been exhausted and the physical health of the patient starts to fail. Hospice is built around a care philosophy that provides freedom from pain by providing palliative care that focuses on end-of-life comfort. Skilled nursing hospice care provides the patient comfort and support when cure-oriented treatments are no longer effective.
- Long-Term Care – Because many seniors require specialized long-term care, Brookdale offers needed services that include administering medications, post-surgical care, post-hospital care, individualized health care plans, preparation of specialty diets, therapeutic solutions, diabetic management, long-term custodial health care and restorative health care solutions.
- Rehabilitation Services – Rehabilitation is often required as individuals age or following an injury, trauma or surgery. Brookdale offers a variety of therapeutic rehabilitation services to assist seniors in regaining mobility, managing stability and adaptive techniques to improve coordination and strength. Additionally, these facilities offer language and speech therapies to improve swallowing, speaking and oral muscle strength.
- In-Home Health Services – Brookdale Home Health Services in Naperville is the company’s only Medicare certified home health care provider in Illinois. This service allows individuals to stay at home years longer while maintaining independence. The wide range of services assist the senior in bathing, safety, balancing, simple wound care, dressing, medication administration and review, along with monitoring acute and chronic diseases.
- Memory Care – There are numerous company operated memory care communities across the nation, providing services to individuals suffering from dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Properly trained Brookdale associates use concepts and approaches to help patients preserve their sense of self.
Even though Brookdale is known for its high quality living at every stage during retirement years, the corporation is not without legal problems. Recently, surviving family members of a loved one staying at a facility filed a lawsuit against Brookdale in Rio Rancho, New Mexico after the resident suffering dementia died of a fatal brain hemorrhage. The injury was a result of a horrific assault by the resident’s roommate, another individual suffering from dementia.
The lawsuit alleges that the staff overmedicated the loved one and failed to properly evaluate and monitor the roommate. Though the victim initially survived the attack, he later died at the hospital three weeks later. The alleged attacker was sent to a behavioral health Institute in Las Vegas, New Mexico. The surviving family members of the victim were devastated and filed paperwork to take legal action.
Another legal issue involving a Brookdale senior retirement community in California made national news when a nurse refused to give CPR to a Glenwood Gardens resident who collapsed while eating in the facility’s dining room. The attending nurse at the time called 911 instead of providing resuscitation when the woman was clearly not breathing, citing she was simply following the facility’s policies and protocol. The resident was declared dead after being transported to Mercy Southwest Hospital in Bakersfield.
Oddly, the policies involving CPR resuscitation are not the same at skilled nursing facilities and assisted living homes adjacent to the Glenn Gardens retirement community. Had the woman been residing in either one of those facilities, she would have been provided immediate care. The advocacy group National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care was unaware that policies to prevent CPR assistance existed at Brookdale and other retirement homes.Getting Help From Experienced Attorneys to Prosecute an Incident at Brookdale Senior Living
Taking swift action after an incident or learning of an episode of neglect is an important component of the legal process. In addition to fixed timelines for filing a nursing home negligence lawsuit, moving forward after learning of an episode of abuse also allows for a thorough investigation of the matter to be conducted. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is proud to be the law firm chosen by hundreds of families to represent their interests in Illinois nursing home negligence lawsuits involving all types of incidents. Our team has the experience and connections necessary to fully prosecute your case for maximum recovery. Call anytime to discuss your situation without cost or obligation.