Giving birth should be a time of joy as a couple welcomes a new member into their family. It is unfortunate that the negligent actions of some doctors and medical staff ruin this experience for many families. The Chicago birth injury attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers believe that it is important to pursue compensation on behalf of the victims of birth injuries and their families so that the family and child will be able to cope and lead fulfilling lives.
Nobody should need to worry about the financial burden that accompanies caring for a child who has been permanently impaired due to the negligence of others and we will make sure that you have everything you need to be able to focus on what matters. Complete our on-line case intake form for a free review of your case with a Chicago birth injury lawyer. Our office is proud to represent people from across Illinois in birth injury lawsuits.
Doctors and their attending staff have the duty of taking reasonable measures to ensure the safety of their patients. When the failure to do so results in a life changing injury, it is within your rights to hold the negligent party responsible. In order to argue negligence or malpractice, you first must determine the cause of the injury. Some of the most common things that go wrong during delivery include the following.
- The child is not monitored for signs of fetal distress. It is important that the vital signs of both the mother and child are being monitored so that the doctor can determine whether emergency measures are needed to save or protect the child.
- Oxygen deprivation during labor or delivery. There are many ways that the flow of oxygen to a child’s brain can be restricted and extended deprivation of oxygen can result in severe brain damage or death.
- Failure of staff to communicate with one another. Many of the problems that occur during delivery are not communicated to other staff members or the patients’ primary care physicians. This results in delayed action or diagnosis of conditions that can be treated with ease. When such conditions go untreated, however, they can lead to more severe complications.
- Not ordering an emergency cesarean when the child is in fetal distress. Once it is determined that the child is in danger, every minute that the doctor delays can have an impact on his or her wellbeing.
- Failure to monitor bilirubin levels after birth. Newborns have undeveloped livers which are unable to regulate bilirubin levels. Minor injuries usually raise these levels, making it important for staff to perform tests on children displaying symptoms such as jaundice and caput succedaneum.
My son had some significant complications related to a prolonged labor and delivery. The team at Rosenfeld Injury reviewed his records with several experts who helped me get a better understanding of what happened and where the errors were made. I am confident that this preparation greatly helped increase the value of our case at settlement time. I am extremely pleased with their services.
Our Chicago birth injury lawyers have handled many cases in which the child suffers developmental or neurological problems that will accompany him or her for life. Conditions such as cerebral palsy and erbs palsy, spinal cord injuries and other conditions that require long term care can place a great deal of stress on the family. Needing to care for a special needs child usually requires one of the parents to stay at home and the resulting medical bills can be the source of emotional anguish and bitterness.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers works tirelessly to alleviate these complications so that families can return to what matters— their love and dedication to one another as a family unit. We will investigate all of the details surrounding your child’s injuries to establish how they occurred and who is responsible. By relying on experts in medicine, social workers and economists, we are able to seek an amount of compensation that will be sufficient to cover your child’s care for the rest of his or her life.
Contact us today to speak with one of our Chicago birth injury attorneys to learn more about your rights and legal options during a free consultation. Our first priority is to help you provide for your child and will fight vigorously to make sure that he or she has access to everything he or she will ever need. For this reason, we promise never to accept an attorney’s fee if we fail to recover compensation on your behalf.