No, pressures sores cannot kill you by themselves. However, complications due to pressure sores can lead to fatalities. Therefore, it is important to understand the signs of pressure sores and how they can subsequently develop across your body.
Can Pressure Sores Cause Death?
Pressure sores begin as small, miniature cracks in a person’s skin. It is hard to think that they can end up bringing down any person and causing their death. In fact, by themselves, they by and large cannot kill you. The trouble comes in their interaction with other serious conditions that linger in the body. The complications that these can create may lead to fatalities so it is important to be aware of them.
What Bed Sore Complications Should I Be Aware Of?
Though they might be tiny, bed sores can develop, merge with other issues, and threaten your life fatally. There are several complications to be aware of with bed sores but here are some of the most serious ones:
- AMPUTATIONS: If bed sores are left untreated, they can progress to such an extent that they might require an amputation. The reason for this is that the sores can create infections which necessitates the procedure. However, following the amputation, infections such as sepsis can slip into the bloodstream and cause organ failures and even death.
- NECROTIZING FASCIITIS: Like many serious issues involving bed sores, necrotizing fasciitis normally arises because of a lack of attention. This condition occurs when bacterial infections eat away at neighboring tissue, muscles, and other body parts. If treated, it can be fixed but if left untreated, it can lead to death in as little as a day.
- MYONECROSIS: Myonecrosis is another variety of progressive infection associated with bed sores which can lead to fatalities in people if they are untreated. It is a gas gangrene that unleashes deadly toxins in the body that threaten tissues, muscles, organs, and life itself.
- BONE INFECTIONS: Bed sores can actually seep into the bones and cartilage of those that it affects. This can lead to reduced mobility, amputations, and even death if complications persist.
What Can I Do To Fight Bed Sores?
Though they are not fatal by themselves, as you can see, bed sores can combine with other dangers to seriously threaten your health and life. What can you do? Speak with your doctors and caretakers to ensure that they are monitoring this situation. Then, exercise various self-care measures to prevent the spread of bed sores including proper hygiene and repositioning. Finally, tell your family and loved ones about the risks of bed sores so that they can help you stay on the lookout for them.
Still Concerned About The Effects Of Pressure Sores? Give Us A Call!
We know that the issue of pressure sores can seem dense and complicated to you. That is why every member of the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC works in the community to spread awareness and knowledge about its effects. However, that is not all that we do. We also help victims obtain legal compensation at no cost, on contingency. Call our offices and hear about how we can setup a case for you in a free consultation meeting. The path to recovery is not far away. Let the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC assist you on your journey.
For additional information see the following pages:
- How Can I Treat Pressure Sores?
- Why Do Pressure Sores Develop?
- How do I Spot Pressure Sores Before They Develop?
- How Much Are Bed Sore Cases Worth?
- Pressure Sore Statistics
- What Are Pressure Sores?
- What Can I do If I Have Been a Victim of Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse?
- What Responsibilities do Health Care Facilities Have to Prevent Bed Sores?