Attorneys for People Injured in American Freightways Trucking Accidents
Originally founded in 1982, American Freightways provided truckload motor carrier services throughout Arkansas and became a publicly held corporation seven years later. By 2000, the trucking company was recognized as one of the leading U.S. carrier companies. By the end of 2001, FedEx acquired American Freightways along with Viking Freight to form FedEx Freight, providing on-time delivery across North America, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.
Today, American Freightways, under the brand FedEx Freight, is a leading provider in the United States of LTL (less than truckload) freight services. This convenient one-stop shopping for all customers requiring LTL services continues to make it one of the most reliable freight delivery options available.
When it comes to prosecuting accidents involving American Freightways trucks, you can count on Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC to provide you with the representation you need to get the full monetary compensation that the law allows. Our attorneys are ready and able to get to work on your case. Contact our office now for a free review of your case.
American Freightways Accident Statistics
The United States DOT (Department of Transportation), under the watchful eye of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA), maintains statistics on all trucking companies doing business in the US. Within the last 24 months up to March 2014, American Freightways (FedEx Freight) had 651 of their 5153 commercial trucks removed from service due to a failed inspection. While the national average is 20.72 percent of all vehicles taken out of service, FedEx Freight has removed 12.6 percent.
Also, 47 out of the 7049 total drivers who operate FedEx Freight trucks were removed from service because of failed inspections. This statistic represents 0.7 percent of the total number of FedEx drivers. However, the national average is significantly higher at 5.51 percent.
Serious Trucking Accidents
Because thousands of FedEx Freight trucks are continually transporting goods across the highways, the trucking company continues to be involved in collisions with passenger vehicles. The FMCSA reports that the trucking company experienced 733 accidents in the 24 months leading up to March 2014. Out of the total number of crashes, there were 219 injuries and 25 fatalities as a result of an American Freightways truck accident.
Causes of Trucking Accidents
An American Freightways truck accident is often the result of negligence by the trucking company, driver, commercial truck part manufacturers, maintenance crews, management staff, dispatchers, and schedulers. Many of the common causes of a truck accident include:
- Driving While Fatigued – Every driver is required to maintain regulated “hours of service” that limits the amount of time on the roadways. However, schedulers, dispatchers, and management often push drivers to the limit to maintain tight schedules, commitments, and delivery demands.
- Vehicle Maintenance Problems – Often, companies neglect to maintain vehicles on the roads properly. As a result, some truckers are moving cargo on balding tires, failing brake pads or defective axle parts, which can all lead to serious or catastrophic accidents involving other motorists.
- Driver Performance Issues – When trucking company management neglects to train the driver, the trucker can make bad decisions when driving, backing up, parking or turning the commercial vehicle. Also, the massive weight and size of the truck often create serious risks if the driver is inexperienced with handling the commercial vehicle under dangerous conditions. Drivers need to be fully trained on how to maneuver their truck on the roadway around other motorists by following established driving standards and lane changes, safe braking distances, passing and traveling at a proper speed for roadway conditions.
- Cargo Loads – Loaders can position cargo improperly inside the trailer or container box. Loads that shift during movement can cause accidents when the trucker is unable to maneuver the truck safely.
Attorneys Committed To Protecting Your Rights After An American Freightways Accident
Large commercial trucks involved in collisions with passenger vehicles can cause catastrophic results for everyone involved. Victims of these crashes often experience severe life-altering injuries or death. As a result, many victims seek legal remedies for financial recompense through a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death claim. Adequate compensation is often necessary to cover current and ongoing expenses that include:
- Extensive medical bills
- Lost earnings (future and past)
- Burial and funeral costs in a wrongful death case
- Numerous physical therapies, rehabilitation sessions and surgeries
- Emotional and mental anguish
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC at (888) 424-5757 represent victims involved in commercial truck accidents. Our attorneys develop strong strategies, gather evidence and speak to witnesses to strengthen a financial compensation claim against trucking companies at fault for a serious accident. The law firm offers a free, no-obligation initial consultation to evaluate the case.