Alden opened its initial skilled nursing facility in 1971 as Alden Lakeland. Today, the company provides health care services in over 40 locations situated in southern Wisconsin, Rockford Illinois and the Chicago Metropolitan area. Alden provides post-acute services, short-term orthopedic recovery care and skilled nursing/assistance to independent retirement communities in Illinois and Wisconsin. Catering to both the old and young, Alden provides healthcare solutions and therapies along with quality care to individuals suffering memory impairment.
Alden owns and operates various centers in the communities it serves. These include:
- Senior Living Communities – Aging individuals often desire moving into communities with like-minded people eager to live an independent life filled with social, educational and recreational opportunities. Alden offers an independent lifestyle for older adults who do not require assistance in daily living and activities.
- Assisted Living Communities – Many elderly and disabled individuals choose to live in assisted living communities managed by Alden because of the quick access to physicians and medical teams. These communities also provide outings, social events, restaurant dining and 24 hour nursing care when required.
- Short-Term Rehabilitation Centers – These northeast Illinois and southern Wisconsin centers offer extensive daily speech, occupational and physical therapies conducted by post-acute-care certified nurses. These facilities are known for their advanced therapeutic centers, access to the latest modalities and equipment, high-end restaurant dining opportunities and cutting-edge care protocols.
- Memory Care Centers – Individuals with physical or cognitive impairments often require specialized services available at Alden’s memory care centers. Treatment, services and care is provided to every resident, based on specific needs during every stage of their disease.
- Skilled Nursing Homes – Short-term and long-term residents receive restorative nursing care, therapeutic diets, hygiene assistance and other support to improve their well-being and enhance their level of comfort while recovering from surgeries, trauma or during the last stages of their lives. Some services provided include semi private or private accommodations, routine physician visits, post-acute rehabilitation, medical interventions and complex care.
CMS Weak Ratings of Alden Facilities
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) routinely rates rehabilitation centers, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and other centers nationwide. The data is accumulated by certified inspectors and updated continuously. The quality measures rating evaluate assessment data on how the facility is meeting the needs of every resident. The staffing data assesses staff work hours of the nursing home’s workforce including registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, licensed vocational nurses and certified nursing assistants. The health inspections provide valuable insight to how the property is maintained and services are provided to the residents in need.
The information provides a rating on each facility’s quality measures, staffing and health inspections. While the Alden facilities in Des Plaines, Barrington, Evanston, Naperville, Skokie and Chicago (Alden Northmoor) rate higher than the national average, the other 15 facilities in Illinois and two centers in Wisconsin fell far below average.
Legal Claims and Lawsuits Against Alden
Like all healthcare centers, nursing homes and assistant living facilities, Alden has been sued by former patients and surviving family members of loved ones who have died as a result of neglect or abuse at the facility. In 2013, a former resident filed a lawsuit alleging negligence by the medical staff in violation of the state’s Nursing Home Care Act. The lawsuit claims that the nursing staff at the facility moved the patient out of bed and to a wheelchair by abducting her right hip past its midline. The move caused a total fracture of the right femur.
In October 2014, a resident of Alden estates of Naperville filed suit, alleging negligence claiming he suffered injuries after falling from bed while attempting to reach the nurse’s call light positioned too far away by an employee of the facility. The injuries required revision surgery.
In 2010, an investigation was launched against Alden Village North, examining patterns of violations and deaths occurring at the facility for over 10 years. Conclusions at the end of the investigation note incidences where the care of the facility’s residents were either not followed or poorly followed, even though there were explicit instructions for optimal care. At least one case involving a death of the facility resulted in the filing of a wrongful death lawsuit supported by the state’s nursing home laws.
Do These Episodes of Abuse at Alden Facilities Sound Familiar?
When families place loved ones in the care of a nursing home, such as Alden, they can and should expect to receive a level of care necessary for their loved one to thrive. Unfortunately, when facilities make a conscientious decision to put the profitability of their facility ahead of the needs of their patients, problems ensue.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is deeply committed to seeing nursing homes and senior care facilities held accountable when a loved one is injured on their clock. Our firm exclusively represents the injured. If you believe your loved one suffered due to neglect, abuse or inattention call us today for a free case evaluation with an experienced nursing home attorney.
For more information on specific Alden facilities, please reference the pages below:
- Alden Debes Alma Nelson Rehab and Health Care Center
- Alden Des Plaines Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Alden Estates of Barrington
- Alden Estates of Evanston
- Alden Estates of Naperville
- Alden Estates of Shorewood
- Alden Estates of Skokie
- Alden Lakeland Rehab and Healthcare Center
- Alden Lincoln Park Rehab & Healthcare Center
- Alden Long Grove Rehabilitation and Health
- Alden Meadow Park Health Care Center
- Alden North Shore Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Northmoor Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden of Waterford
- Alden Orland Park Rehab & HCC
- Alden Park Strathmoor Rehabilitation & Health
- Alden Poplar Creek Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Princeton Rehab & Healthcare
- Alden Terrace of McHenry Rehab and Health Care Center
- Alden Town Manor Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Alden Valley Ridge Rehabilitation and Health
- Alden Village Health Facility
- Alden Village North
- Alden Wentworth Rehab & Healthcare Center