Alaska Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Alaska Attorneys Investigating Sexual Assault Claims Against Roman Catholic Church Archdioceses
The Roman Catholic Church has a historical pattern of protecting Priest, Pastors, Bishops, Brothers, and Sisters of all orders instead of safeguarding innocent parishioners from sexual abuse by clergy members. Only recently has the Justice Department revealed the cover-up by Church officials involving prevalent sexual abuse occurring in schools, churches, and Catholic dioceses.
In addition to the emotional, physical, and mental trauma caused by the predatory priest, many adult children victims have had their spiritual foundation crushed that broke the trusted bond between them and their religious leaders.
Speaking up and telling others about a horrific sexual abuse experience usually happens after decades of suffering in silence. The compassionate network of affiliate attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, can help you or a loved one with legal assistance involving surviving sexual assault.
Our caring team of lawyers can protect your rights and help you speak openly about what happened. Our clergy sexual injury attorneys are here to listen to your story. We have a comprehensive understanding of Alaska tort law and will use the legal system to ensure the perpetrator faces the consequences they deserve for their unacceptable behavior.
Clergy Sexual Assault Remains a Problem
In 2018, the Jesuit organization released its list identifying dozens of religious leaders in Alaska credibly accused of sexual assault. Many of these cases involve incidents that occurred while the priests were serving in Alaska. Some of the cases date back to the 1950s.
The Devastating Effects of Sexual Assault
Sexual assaulting anyone can cause lifelong devastation that negatively alters the victim’s well-being. Children and adults who have been sexually assaulted can suffer from significant sleeping disorders, ongoing depression, substance abuse, self-injury, and suicide, including suicidal ideation (thinking about suicide). Young children and teenage victims might develop negative eating habits, begin living an over-sexualized lifestyle, or engage in any form of risky behavior.
Seeking Victim Justice
In 2007, the Roman Catholic Church in Alaska settled sexual abuse cases for $50 million with payouts to over 100 Alaskan natives who alleged Jesuit priests sexually assaulted them. The plaintiff’s’ attorney stated that the injured victims were “altar boys and altar servers and altar girls,” who were “beaten or told to shut up and told, ‘How can you say such things about a man of God?’” The report indicates that none of the religious leaders accused of sexual assault were ever criminally charged.
In 2008, the Fairbanks Diocese claimed they were unable to pay 140 plaintiffs who alleged sexual assault by church workers and religious leaders and would be filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Some of these cases date back from the 1950s to the 1980s. One allegation involved Reverend James Poole, who faced accusations of molesting countless children.
Since 2005, the diocese has paid out over $5 million to settle and resolve cases involving one priest. In one charge, church officials settled the case for $500,000 after allegations arose that Poole had raped a dying woman while he was there to perform her last rights.
Alaska Roman Catholic Church Diocese
In Alaska, the Catholic Church is one of the largest religious groups of all faiths statewide. The two dioceses and their Bishops manage forty-seven parishes and for Catholic schools across Alaska (listed below) . The Church provides services to hundreds of thousands of registered Catholics living in sixteen boroughs.
Catholic Diocese of Fairbanks
1316 Peger Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
Bishop: Chad Zielinski
Catholic Diocese of Juneau
415 6th St
Juneau, AK 99801
Bishop: Andrew E. Bellisario
Alaska Clergy Sexual Abuse Lawyers are Ready to Help
Our network of attorneys understands the problematic situation of speaking out about what occurred by a shameful clergy member. We know how powerful the church is at pushing back to say they have done nothing wrong. However, with Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, working on your behalf, you will never be alone.
We will work aggressively to ensure your shocking story will be heard before settling your case or when presenting evidence in front of a judge and jury.
We can start working on your lawsuit today. Talk to us now so we can begin filing all the necessary paperwork. Taking legal action against a clergy member might stop the sexual assault of others in the future.
We will successfully resolve your case, obtain financial compensation, and protect your rights. Contact us now at (888) 424-5757. All information you share during an initial, free consultation concerning your case will remain confidential.
All Alaska Parishes:
- Saint Ignatius Catholic Church, Alakanuk
- Saint Theresa Catholic Church, Aniak
- Saint Patrick Catholic Church, Barrow
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Bethel
- Saint Catherine of Siena Catholic Church, Chefornak
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Chevak
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, Delta Junction
- Saint Francis Xavier Parish, Eagle
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Emmonak
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Fairbanks
- Sacred Heart Cathedral, Fairbanks
- Saint Mark’s University Parish, Fairbanks
- Saint Raphael Catholic Church, Fairbanks
- Saint John Berchmans Catholic Church, Galena
- Holy Mary of Guadalupe Catholic Church, Healy
- Holy Family Catholic Church, Holy Cross
- Little Flower of Jesus Catholic Church, Hooper Bay
- Saint Francis Regis Catholic Church, Huslia
- Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Kalskag
- Saint Teresa Catholic Church, Kaltag
- Saint Joseph Catholic Church, Kotlik
- Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Kotzebue
- Saint Patrick Catholic Church, Koyukuk
- Saint Jude Catholic Church, Little Diomede Island
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, Marshall
- Saint Michael Catholic Church, McGrath
- Saint Lawrence Catholic Church, Mountain Village
- Saint Theresa Catholic Church, Nenana
- Holy Family Catholic Church, Newtok
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church, Nightmute
- Saint Joseph Catholic Church, Nome
- Saint Nicholas Catholic Church, North Pole
- Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church, Nulato
- Saint Peter Catholic Church, Nunam Iqua
- Saint Charles Spinola Catholic Church, Pilot Station
- Saint Peter in Chains Catholic Church, Ruby
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, Russian Mission
- Church of the Nativity Catholic Church, Saint Marys
- Saint Michael Catholic Church, Saint Michael
- Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Scammon Bay
- Saint Bernard Catholic Church, Stebbins
- Saint Aloysius Catholic Church, Tanana
- Saint Ann Catholic Church, Teller
- Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Tok
- Saint Peter the Fisherman Catholic Church, Toksook Bay
- Saint Joseph Catholic Church, Tununak
- Church of the Holy Angels Catholic Church, Unalakleet
Alaskan Catholic Schools:
- Holy Name Catholic School, Ketchikan
- Catholic Schools of Fairbanks
- Monroe Junior/Senior High School, Fairbanks
- ICS Grade School, Fairbanks