Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Malpractice Lawyers
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital is a 638-bed hospital located in Cook County, Illinois at:1775 Dempster StPark Ridge IL
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital has the following designations:
- Perinatal III
- Trauma Center I
- Magnet recognition
- Pediatric Critical Care Center
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics
According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health other agencies, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital reported the following medical errors which may be of concern to patients and their families.
Health Care-Associated Infections
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Pediatric Medical ICU (1/1/11 to 12/31/11) with 4 reported infections for 2557 central-line days
- Central Line Associated Infections in the Pediatric Cardiothoracic ICU (1/1/11 to 12/31/11 with 3 reported infections over 1405 central-line days
- Central Line Associated Infections in the Level II/III Neonatal ICU
(1/1/11 to 12/31/11 with 3 reported infections over 4270 central-line days
- Unexpected Deaths (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 3 out of 6,071 patients
- Risk-adjusted Postoperative lung embolism or deep vein thrombosis (clotting) (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 70 out of 5,958 patients
- Wound Complications in Abdominal Wall Surgery (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 983 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 28 out of 20,784 patients
- Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung 2 out of 20,392 patients
- Pediatric latrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung) in Non-Neonates (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 2 out of 3,914 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration, Pediatric (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 4,300 patients
Maternal Safety and Utilization
- Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal With Instrument (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 27 out of 144 patients
- Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal Without Instrument (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 51 out of 2,294 patients
Sample Medical Malpractice Claims & Settlements Against Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
$250,000 Settlement; Illinois Medical Malpractice Case.
The patient who filed this cause of action was an elderly woman in her late eighties. She was receiving care at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. She needed a knee replacement operation. As the hospital staff attempted to move her from the bed onto the surgery table, a nurse grabbed her skin around the knee. It tore and caused significant damage. Doctors needed to give her a wound vac. Then, she had to wait a year to receive the intended operation she originally wanted. All in all, the accident cost her almost $80,000 in additional medical bills. Plus, she had to deal with the pain and suffered. She sued. The claim for medical malpractice never survived court though because they settled this fairly obvious dispute. She received $250,000.
$1,000,000 Settlement; Illinois Failure to Diagnose Case.
Here, a woman in her mid-seventies went to the emergency room at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital because her head and chest hurt. Doctor thought it was coronary syndrome and let her go home the next day. However, they failed to diagnose an aneurysm she had, and that ruptured the very next day. The incident took her lift. Her seven children survived her. They brought an action against the hospital and doctor. Their complaint argued the failed diagnosis took her life, and a reasonable doctor would have done something different. In a negotiated settlement, the hospital gave the plaintiffs $700 thousand and the doctor gave them $300 thousand.
$2,000,000 Settlement; Illinois Medication Error Case.
This controversy arose after a dog bit a middle-aged woman. The bite required doctors at Lutheran General Hospital to do an amputation. Then, a resident doctor administered a pump with pain medication as well as prescription medications. He advised nurses to continue the prescriptions. However, nobody supervised her consumption of the medication and she fell into an overdose. She died not long after, just a few days removed from her admittance to the hospital. This medication error incident prompted a claim. However, the glaring error did not warrant trial. The defendants settled for a combined $2 million.
$7,500,000 Settlement; Illinois Birth Injury Case.
Doctors in this incident did not properly watch the monitor or check signs as they delivered a baby at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital. If they did, they would have seen fetal distress warnings. Consequently, the child sustained a brain injury and other complications including seizure disorder, motor control problems, and speech defects. Representatives brought a claim on the child’s behalf for the injuries suffered in the birth injury including over $300 thousand in medical bills. They argued that they would not have occurred but for the defendant’s negligence. In a private agreement, the parties ended the dispute for a reportedPark Ridge, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you or your child was harmed during an admission to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, it may have been related to medical negligence. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is committed to protecting the public from medical errors in all settings. Contact our attorneys today to discuss your case. All consultations are free and confidential.
**Note: The Advocate Lutheran General logo was removed from this web page at the request of a representative from the facility. See email below:
Hello Mr. Rosenfeld: Review of your website advertising is distasteful to say the least. At Advocate Christ Medical Center, we take pride in the excellent care we provide to our patients and the resources that benefit the community. Our reputation is important to us and we have many accolades. Although I cannot change the content, I request that you immediately remove Advocate’s trademark from any of media advertising. The data presented is from publicly reported data but is misrepresented or erroneous, I’m certain you are aware of that.
Regards, Martha Winter
(of note, Iatrogenic is spelled with an “I” not a “L”)
Martha Winter, RNC, MJ, CPHRM
Director, Risk Management
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Advocate Children’s Hospital
Inspiring medicine. Changing lives. A Magnet Center since 2005.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.