Advocate Christ Hospital Ratings & Violations
Advocate Christ Hospital And Medical Center is a 690-bed hospital located in Cook County, Illinois at:
4440 W. 95th Street
Oak Lawn IL 60453
Advocate Christ Hospital And Medical Center has the following designations:
- Perinatal III
- Trauma Center I
- Magnet recognition
- Pediatric Critical Care Center
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics
According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health other agencies, Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center reported the following medical errors which may be of concern to patients and their families.
Health Care-Associated Infections
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Pediatric Medical ICU (1/1/11 to 12/31/11) with 3 reported infections for 1816 central-line days
- Central Line Associated Infections in the Pediatric Cardiothoracic ICU (1/1/11 to 12/31/11 with 7 reported infections over 2384 central-line days
- Surgical Site Infections Associated with Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (7/1/10 to 6/30/11) 3 infections out of 414 procedures
- Surgical Site Infections Associated with Total Knee Replacement Surgery (7/1/10 to 6/30/11) 1 infection from 591 procedures
- Foreign Body Left During Procedure (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 2 reported incidents
- Unexpected Deaths (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 3 out of 7,743 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 51 out of 29,780 patients
- Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung 16 out of 27,843 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 58 out of 3,500 patients
- Pediatric heart surgery mortality (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 11 out of 247 patients
- Pediatric latrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung) in Non-Neonates (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 4,806 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration, Pediatric (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 9 out of 5,584 patients
Maternal Safety and Utilization
- Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal Without Instrument (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 34 out of 2,344 patients
Sample Medical Malpractice Lawsuits & Settlements Against Advocate Christ Hospital
$4,645,000 Illinois Settlement; Eye Surgery Malpractice Case
The patient in this matter was a seventy-two-year-old woman. She had trouble with her eyes, so she had surgery on them. However, complications arose, and they soon developed into hypotony. Doctors had to go in again and operate but that caused problems in the other eye. Now, is she blind in both of them. She brought suit against the doctor and the center where it occurred (Advocate Chris Medical) to account for these developments. They both decided to settle rather than mete out the matter in court. She obtained $4,645,000 in settlement for this eye dispute.
$3,000,000 Illinois Settlement; Failure to Diagnose Malpractice Case
The story in this incident started off well. The patient had a successful operation to take out a tumor in her brain. However, things turned precipitously after that. Doctors failed to spot and diagnose her falling sodium levels and hyponatremia. This is a well-known issue following these kinds of surgeries. Consequently, she developed a herniation on her brainstem and died. She was survived by her children and her husband. They both believed that the failure to diagnose was the ultimate reason why she died. They brought suit against the doctor and the medical center to make up for this tragic turn of events. The relevant facts were not hashed out in court. Rather, all sides found fit for settlement. The plaintiffs received $3 million collectively from the defendants.
$450,000 Illinois Settlement; Surgical Error Malpractice Case
The events of this Cook County, Illinois case occurred at Advocate Christ Hospital. The patient was a male, aged fifty-three years old. He needed to have some kidney stones removed. However, there was the added risk that he was a hemophiliac. The surgeon knew about this condition prior to the operation. Nevertheless, the doctor did not give the patient requisite prescriptions following the surgery. Consequently, the man sustained extreme bleeding. He needed to have another procedure to correct that issue. Although no long-term or permanent damage arose, he still was left with over $300,000 in medical bills. He sued for these developments. He charged the facility and doctor with negligence (surgical error). He sought compensation for his damages including short-term pain and medical bills. Preferring settlement to trial, the defendants tried to offer him an agreement to end the matter. The plaintiff accepted for the combined sum of $450,000.
$2,600,000 Illinois Verdict; Hospital Medical Malpractice Case
The patient in this lawsuit was just thirteen. She had surgery at Advocate Christ Medical Center. Allegedly, the operation damaged her cartilage, required a follow-up hip replacement (as well as more in the future), and totally changed her life and ended her ability to play basketball. She sued for medical malpractice. Her lawsuit complaint that the doctor did not get an MRI before the surgery; her condition did not suggest hip impingement; and her other troubles were unrelated to the treatment offered. The defense replied strongly. They asserted that an MRI was unnecessary, and they denied the rest of the plaintiff’s assertions. Also, they offered that some of the plaintiff’s medical problems stemmed from pre-existing issues. Unable to resolve their differences amicably and among themselves, a jury was left with the task. It awarded the girl $2.6 million for suffering, lost normal life, and disfigurement.Oak Lawn, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you or your child was harmed during an admission to Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center, it may have been related to medical negligence. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is committed to protecting the public from medical errors in all settings. Contact our attorneys today to discuss your case. All consultations are free and confidential.
**Note: The Advocate Christ Hospital and Medical Center logo was removed from this web page at the request of a representative from the facility. See email below:
Hello Mr. Rosenfeld: Review of your website advertising is distasteful to say the least. At Advocate Christ Medical Center, we take pride in the excellent care we provide to our patients and the resources that benefit the community. Our reputation is important to us and we have many accolades. Although I cannot change the content, I request that you immediately remove Advocate’s trademark from any of media advertising. The data presented is from publicly reported data but is misrepresented or erroneous, I’m certain you are aware of that.
Regards, Martha Winter
(of note, Iatrogenic is spelled with an “I” not a “L”)
Martha Winter, RNC, MJ, CPHRM
Director, Risk Management
Advocate Christ Medical Center
Advocate Children’s Hospital
Inspiring medicine. Changing lives. A Magnet Center since 2005.