Illinois birth injury settlements are dependent upon the circumstances of each case. Birth injury cases, such as a labor and delivery errors resulting in cerebral palsy, fall under the area of medical malpractice law.
The Illinois legislature has implemented procedural requirements for initiating a birth injury lawsuit against a physician or hospital. Before filing these cases, the procedures must be filed or the case may be dismissed.
Our law firm is committed to securing the most favorable outcome for each child and his or her family we represent.
We prepare each birth injury case that we accept as though it is going to trial in order to position the case for the best possible result.
Most birth injury and cerebral palsy cases we pursue involve the use of expert witnesses who will testify to aspects of causation and damages.
Factors Which Impact the Value of an Illinois Birth Injury Case
While there are aspects of a birth injury case that can be influenced by an attorney, other factors simply cannot. The settlement of birth injury cases may be dependent on some or all of the considerations below:
- Who is responsible for the error? Doctor? Nurse? Hospital?
- Has the statute of limitations expired to file a valid legal claims?
- Do the medical records clearly support the allegation that errors were made?
- How is the child doing?
- What is the long-term prognosis for the child?
- Will the child require future medical care?
- Is the child capable of working in some capacity in her adult life?
- What type of costs will the family need to incur in order to care for their child?
Contact our Experienced Legal Team & Learn Your Legal Rights Concerning Your Child Injury at Birth
An injury to in innocent child due to the poor decision making or hands-on care can change the course of the lives of the child and their family.
As Chicago birth injury attorneys, our role as counselors is to provide the answers the family needs in order to learn how and why their child has been harmed.
Secondarily, our job is to hold the responsible parties accountable to secure the fullest compensation possible to provide for the child’s future needs.
If you have questions about a birth injury case or what a case may be worth, we invite you to contact our office for a free review of your situation with an experienced lawyer.
As with all of our cases, there is no fee charged unless we are successful in securing a financial recovery for your child.
- $6,140,000: Cerebral Palsy. A medical malpractice lawsuit was brought against a physician and hospital for their failure to monitor a woman who was past her due date. Despite clear signs of fetal distress, the condition was never relayed to the mother nor was a cesarean section suggested. Hours after the fetal monitor strips indicated that the child’s heart rate was elevated, the baby was born. The child sustained damage to the brain and was diagnosed with cerebral palsy. He requires round-the-clock care.
- $5,000,000: Baby brain damage. A settlement was reached between an obstetrician and her practice group in a lawsuit that centered around how the baby was positioned during delivery. Our experts proposed that had the physician performed a proper maneuver the labor and delivery would have been shortened and the child would not have suffered the injury he did.
- $1,730,000: Brachial plexus/shoulder injury was allegedly associated with a forceful delivery by an OB/GYN who used improper maneuvering to dislodge the child’s head after it got stuck during the birthing process.
- $1,100,000: Stillbirth settlement to a family at 39 weeks. The family alleged that the treating doctor failed to listen to repeated complaints of fetal distress or order any diagnostic testing despite the fact that the mother was considered to be a ‘high risk’ pregnancy due to her age.