The owner of any property is responsible for providing a safe environment for any guests or people who have the right to be on or near the property. The Chicago premises liability attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers represent the interests of anyone who has suffered personal harm due to the failure of a property owner—an individual or a business to take reasonable steps to ensure that the building is safe to those who use or occupy it.
If you have been injured on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to recover financial damages to help with the payment of your medical bills and to offset your out of pocket expenses and lost wages during your physical recovery. Complete this on-line contact form for a free case evaluation and a premises liability lawyer will personally review your case without any cost or obligation.
Simply put, premises liability is the legal responsibility of a property owner or manager to take what are deemed as reasonable steps to prevent injuries on the property. Whenever an accident occurs, it is important to investigate whether the property owner either knew or should have know of the hazard that caused the injury or made sure that the property was constructed and maintained according to building codes and ordinances. Examples of Chicago personal injury cases that fall under premises liability include the following.
- Slip, trip and fall accidents. These types of accidents are the most common source of injury in the United States and may occur due to improperly maintained stairways, hallways or walkways. Owners are expected to keep these communal areas clean and ensure they are properly lighted so that people can see where they are walking and reasonable measures must be taken to keep sidewalks free of ice and debris.
- Presence of biohazards. Lead, mold and carbon monoxide are several examples of toxic materials that may present a risk of harm to tenants and their guests. It is the responsibility of property owners to inspect their properties regularly to ensure that there are not any gas leaks and that furnaces, stoves and smoke detectors are working properly. It is also advisable that the smoke detectors used are able to detect carbon monoxide.
- Drowning accidents that are due to the failure of the property owner to keep the pool area secure and closed off from the public while unsupervised.
- Structural defects, such as poorly designed balconies. Property owners are required to repair and maintain their buildings so that residents or visitors are not subject to injury when a structure collapses.
I’d like to compliment your office for the way that my case was handled. After working with you for more than a year, I developed a real sense of admiration for the skill and efforts you put into your cases. I always felt like you had my best interests at heart. I know there is no way I could have settled my case for anywhere near as much money without your help.
Our Chicago slip & fall lawyers understand that you may be hesitant to seek legal representation following an injury, especially if you have a personal relationship with the owner of the property. In most of the cases we encounter, the property owner’s insurance policy covers the cost of compensating the victim for his or her injuries.
Our attorneys regularly negotiate settlements with the property owners’ insurance companies in the best interest of our clients. You shouldn’t need to bear the cost of your medical treatment and other incidental expenses because somebody else failed to act responsibly. We will find a way to recover compensation on your behalf that is fair and covers the full cost of your recovery.
My attorneys were real fighters for me on my trip and fall case. Rosenfeld Law took control of my case and filed a lawsuit against the property management company. Through the duration of my case, the entire office was professional and courteous. In the end I was thrilled with the money they got me.
Why You May Need a Lawyer to Get a Full & Fair Recovery for Your Injuries
In order to recover compensation for injuries sustained in any type of accident, you must establish that the negligence of a company or individual is responsible for your incident. In the case of premises liability lawsuits, simply getting injured at the home or business of another is not enough to obtain compensation from them.
Illinois tort law places the burden on the injured party when it comes to establish that the negligence of the land owner caused an incident. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers knows the laws applicable to premises liability cases and our staff know the evidence that needs to be gathered to win these cases. We regularly collect the following materials when prosecuting our Chicago premises liability accidents:
- Medical records and bills
- Incident reports
- Statements from witnesses to an accident
- Photos of the area where an incident took place
- Reports of engineers and architects
- Wage loss verifications from employers
- Narrative reports from treating physicians to establish the extent of the injury and / or disability
- Deeds and other documents to establish ownership or control of a property
While some of the above materials may seem unnecessary, when insurance carriers and lawyers defending a premises liability lawsuit see that we have done the work on the premises liability interrogatories and are ready to litigate a case, they tend to view the case with a more serious eye towards resolution for full value than if we were to only gather the bare basics. We like to think that our intensive case preparation means a larger and faster settlement for our clients.What Compensatioin are you Entitled to in a Chicago Premises Liability or Slip & Fall Lawsuit?
Whenever we evaluate the value of a personal injury case, we consider the past and future expenses that you are likely to incur. We take into account your medical bills, the cost of rehabilitative therapy, any wages that you will lose during your time away from work, your pain and suffering and any other out of pocket expenses. Our access to architects, economists and medical professionals helps us assess the value of your case fairly. We can also connect you with the resources you need to receive the best medical care throughout your recovery.
To learn more about your legal options and rights following an injury, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers right now to speak with one of our Chicago premises liability attorneys. Our consultations are completely free of charge and we only collect a fee for our services after we have secured the compensation you are entitled to on your behalf.
Illinois premises liability regulations, news and resources: