Everyone knows someone who was involved in a car accident. For most, the experience may have resulted in an inconvenience due to a damaged fender or perhaps a sore neck. On the other hand, car accidents can result in some of the most debilitating injuries that cut across all demographics.
Common car accidents resulting in disabling injuries to: drivers, passengers and pedestrians
Unfortunately, car accidents result in permanent injuries to thousands of people every year and are the primary cause of death amongst young people. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2011 an average of 3.7 people died in a car accident every hour and another 253 with injured. Over the past decade, lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have represented people with some of the following types of injuries sustained in car accidents:
- Facial cuts
- Injuries to legs and arms that require amputation
- Back and neck injuries requiring surgery
- Traumatic brain injuries
Some of these injuries require months and even years of therapy and medical treatment, along with life adjustments both at the home and in the work place. Of the over 2.22 million people injured each year in car accidents, hundreds of thousands may have life altering injuries that they overcome.
Additional Car Accident Information
What to do after a car accident?
Most people are pretty shaken up, even after a minor fender bender. However, what you do right after the accident can make a big difference later when it comes time to pay for damages and medical bills. According to DMV.org, here are some tips to remember:
- Never admit fault. Even if you think you are to blame in an accident, do not admit that to anyone, not the other drivers, your passengers, the police or even your insurance agent. You only have one perspective of the accident and there may have been other factors involved.
- Get medical attention. Some injuries may not be apparent right away to you as you may be in shock or have adrenaline running through your system. Get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. Keep notes and paperwork from any doctors or medical professionals you see.
- Take pictures. If you are able, take pictures or video of the accident. Almost everyone has a cell phone now and use that to record what happened.
- Call a lawyer. If you have been injured, regardless of who was at fault, you may need representation to be fairly compensated for your injuries. Attorneys experienced with serious car accident cases can advise you of your rights– before you speak to an insurance carrier.
Car accident insurance claims to recovery damages for injuries
Collectively, the various injuries sustained in car accidents expose automobile insurance companies to potentially billions of dollars in claims every year. Knowing this, insurance companies have become excellent at persuading injured people to cooperate with them, as it may appear to be in their best interest. It simply is not. Many times, car insurance companies quickly process injury claims with a computer program which assigns a value to the case based upon a predetermined formula which has no consideration for the individual involved in the accident– and his or her specific circumstance.
Conflicting interests between those injured and insurance carriers
From the moment you are involved in a car accident with another party, your interests are completely contradictory to those of the insurance carrier. It is simply not in the best interest of the insurance carriers to compensate you fairly for your injuries sustained in a car accident. Company slogans and smiley faces aside, insurance companies make money by taking in as much premiums as possible and limiting payments made for each claim. Simply expecting an insurance adjuster assigned to your case to ‘do the right’ thing is only setting oneself up for disappointment when a settlement offer is extended.
Chicago car accident attorneys who are truly on your side
At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, we know how insurance companies operate and we zealously fight to preserve your rights — regardless of the corporations on the opposite side of the table. Particularly with car accidents, there are many options for finding legal representation.
There is a difference when it comes to selecting attorneys for your car accident case.
While we always adhere to the most ethical standards, we prepare every car accident case as if it is going to trial. Our meticulous case preparation enables us to secure the most favorable resolution for out clients– via settlement negotiations, arbitration or trial. Come see why other attorneys refer their clients to us serious car accident cases.
We encourage you to speak with our car accident lawyers for a free consultation following a car accident to advise you of your legal rights and potential claims. Knowing that motor vehicle accidents happen when we least expect, we are available 24/7 and can schedule appointments with you at your home, hospital or rehabilitation facility.
Materials from Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers: