More than 1,800 people die each year in nursing home falls. Knowing the inherent risks that falls pose to nursing home patients, nursing homes need to create and implement a fall prevention program for every patient.Fall prevention for nursing home patients
Fall prevention programs should identify the characteristics that put the patient at risk of falling and create safeguards for staff to implement that will minimize the risk of falls in the future.
Even after a fall-related care plan is in place, nursing home staff should always be on the lookout for residents who may require assistance getting around. If residents have a history of falls, the facility should consider using alarms on chairs or beds to notify the staff when the person attempts to walk on their own.Frequent Causes of Nursing Home Falls
Some of the common causes of nursing home falls include:
- Hazards in the nursing home – wet floors, poor lighting, improper bed heights, improperly maintained wheelchairs, or equipment left out of place
- Medications – drugs that affect the central nervous system, such as sedatives and anti-anxiety (or psychoactive) drugs
- Improperly fitting shoes or incorrect walking aids
- Frequent use of restraints
- Failure to provide assistance or provide specialized bathing equipment, including chairs, stands and grips
- Transfer into and out of bed
- Failing to engage locks on wheelchairs
- Failure to maintain stairways and walkways
When evaluating nursing home fall cases, the Chicago nursing home attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers evaluates the circumstances surrounding the specific incident as well as the patient’s fall-related history at the facility. Not all fall-related injuries involving nursing home patients will give rise to compensation. However, in many situations, there is a pattern of falls and a clear failure on the part of staff to implement fall-prevention precautions. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is committed to holding negligent facilities fully accountable for injuries sustained by patients when they fall in Chicago nursing homes.Free legal consultations from experienced nursing home attorneys
At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, our Chicago nursing home lawyers know how important it is to review the patient’s complete chart from a facility to evaluate liability in nursing home fall cases. When liability is established, the facility may be responsible for the associated pain, decline in the quality of life, and medical expenses related to treatment.